Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #21
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I don't believe Locktite is a good idea. If there is a problem with u-bolt stretch you wouldn't know it, the nuts would seem to be tight

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #22
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
U-bolts and the saga goes on. The 1/2 u-bolts on the Montys and other rigs are only of grade 5 quality ( may be lower if Made In China) on axles up to 7000 lb ratings. Another area where axles, springs,u-bolts, shackles etc. should be of better quality when carrying a rig that can gross 15,000 lbs plus. We are all running on the EDGE. When you jump to 5/8 fine thread the u-bolts are of grade 8 or better quality, many now on trucks at grade 12. To change to a 5/8 u-bolt one would have to ream out each hole on the spring pack hold down plate; a total of 16 holes; quite a job indeed.
To conclude; as one retorques the grade 5 bolts they will stretch and stretch until they let go, commonly at the bottom thread. This is called going beyond the yield point of any mechanical stress.
Price of a 1/2 u-bolt at any spring shop is about a $1.50 each so go figure the quality??? 5/8 will run about $10.00 and up.
To conclude: if you find that each time you retorque; you can get a fraction of a turn to arrive at spec. your bolts are stretched or are strectching to a point of failure!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Concrete John
Established Member

M.O.C. #10725
Send a message via MSN to Concrete John
Agreed , torque to yield , manufacturer should get away from borderline "within spec" on this area of these type of rv's , and raise the standards as you stated going with a heavier U-bolts, even heavier clamp as opposed to drilling them out , for the fulltime traveller, that would be the way to go IMHO.I like to see a poll of how many acually have discovered loose U-bolts? Maybe an administrator could put one together. Thanks C JohnSide note , wet bolts and pivot shackle too while your at it . Now there's some peace of mind, while pounding the pavement, and going into those less travelled roads to find that perfect spot !!
Concrete John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
bafflefinder
Established Member

M.O.C. #9211
Thanks Jim for the heads up on the U bolts. I have an 09 3665RE as well. Question - How often do you pull and service the wheels? I only have about 7,000 miles on mine, one Mexico trip from Colorado. It sits all summer at a water ski lake 80 miles from home. We're going to New Orleans next week - 2600 miles round trip. I shoot my hubs with one pump of grease before every few thousand miles, don't want to blow out the seals, and feel them each time I stop. I run recommended tire pressure and so far no problems. Any thoughts? - Love our Montana. Also, I blow a lot of fuses to the control box at the fron left corener outside - LG, rooms, stabs etc. Has anyone experienced this?
bafflefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Well, I checked mine today for pre trip inspection and several were just a bit loose! Go figure! got them all good to go and found the rear Mission tires had just started to separate, small holes showing between inside ribs indicating tread separation really soon! Leaving for Moab in the AM and luckily I found 2 Freestar tires in town 30 mi. away. Those were the only tires in stock in NW Colorado I could find! Looked at the tires several weeks ago and they sure did NOT appear this way then. Oh well, got em before they got me. Now just gotta either put 2 more Freestars on or just buy 4 new and put those on my car hauler,same size. I do have 14K on those Missions so I have been blessed that way. Have a great day and cya in Moab!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #26
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Just for everyone's info I noticed at the factory tour the other day that Keystone is now installing the "flat" U-bolt on the new Montanas, still 1/2 inch though.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote