Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Drooping Slide Topper

My large slide topper looks like it has stretched somewhat, is there a way to take some of the slack out or increase the tension on the roller or are we stuck with what we have????

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil thats the same problem we had on every slide Toppers we had. I tried several different things and most didn't work. I then went to PVC pipe and made one for each slide. and it did keep them from drooping and wouldn't let the water pool. The was the least expensive option I found. It was great Mod if your sitting longer at one spot. I just never liked to bring the slide in to remove the water. We did not get the slide toppers with this 5th wheel and will see how it works out. And another reason is noise during the windy days (RGV). We have already realized that without them there is a lot less noise. For the people who are thinking about installing them I think there is a company that makes the slide toppers with some type of bracing don't remember the company. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
There is a way to increase the tension on any awning, HOWEVER, it should not be tried if you're not familier with it. You could contact a local RV repair facility & ask how much they would charge. I don't think it would be that much.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Adjustments can be made, but
NO FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
So much for that little chore!!!!! Not in my lifetime......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Exactly my sentiments the first time I read it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
For all of you that have the slide toppers or getting them on your “Montana” there is a secret on how to get the water off of them without bring the slides in after the rain stops so that you will not get any ice build-up if you are still where it gets that cold.

This will also stop the drooping and stretching of the fabric and that ugly water spot where the water pools.

It’s called the awning handle that you use to unlock and pull down the “Awning” as you see in the pictures you hook the awning handle on the slide topper and either push or pull to release the tension so the water will roll off the fabric. I did not find out about this until it was too late so we have the water spots and stretched fabric.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sorry, thought that was common knowledge. Had a technician tell me about it about 10 months ago. Release one side and it will slant the awning.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, someone please explain to this old guy. With the slide extended, I just use the awning rod to move the handle, just like on the patio awning, right? And what happens then? Does the topper material retract into to roll, pushing the water off? Then what? Do I move the handle to its original position? If moving the handle caused the material to tighten then all I'd have to do is move the handle back and be done, right?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'd like to know as well since I don't think the awning toppers are built the same way the awning is as far as a tension control.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The function described by the Oldguard just adds or relieves pressure on the topper.
The arm (on the slide toppers) is an anti-billow or anti-sail arm. Its primary function is to keep the toppers from billowing out when driving down the road. They are installed to rotate about 1/4 of a turn and come to rest against the side of the trailer if any wind tries to extend the material. I had one slide bind at the top and actually bust that arm and I had to replace it. I do not know what caused the top of the slide to bind.

What the pictures show is using the awning hook and that anti-billow arm as a fulcrum to either relieve the spring tension on the topper and let it sage more or add additional spring tension to cause them to tighten and drain either way.

This is my opinion on the functioning.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #12
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
From the pictures and the comments it appears that relieving the tension is done on one side which "tips" the awning so the water falls off? Is that correct?

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, John. And thanks Oldguard. I have just one more question, this one designed to keep me from getting it drenched. In the pictures, it appears if I pull that arm down, it will release tension on the same side the arm is on, thus allowing the water to pour off and drenching me, right? So one has to analyze the situation before pulling or pushing that arm. Or suffer the consequences.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You are correct pulling the arm releases the roll all the way not just on that end.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
there is a topper out there that is mounted the opposite way. the roller / spring assembly is mounted to side of your rv. the company states it can be mounted higher. with it higher in the back the pitch is greater and the water has less time to pool. wish i could think of the company. i will check my favorites and get back.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
ok they are Girardrvawnings.com
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote