Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Water pressure Question

When ever we go out with our Mountaineer since we first bought it we have alway used a water pressure gizmo to restrict the water to a maximum of 45 psi. I believe that is the pressure level. We have never had much water pressure in the unit. Nothing like we would see at home. Is this the way it should be? Or do most of you run straight from the park water to the fresh water inlet on your unit and let pressure be what it is. I know I can turn the valve down but is that how most of you regulate it or how do you handle it.
We would like to see more pressure. At kitchen sink you get a 1/2 inch wide stream not forcefull just a constant flow. Same in other sinks and shower. Not heavy just steady. I know there is not plugged up piping I think if I hooked up to water without it I would get much more pressure. I hadn't thought of it till now but next time out I could see what the 12v pump produces but I would anticipate no better and of course it is not the way we would normally use our system.
THanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The pressures at campgrounds can be inconsistant. I would never hook up without a pressure regulator. The lines are much more fragile on your RV than in the stick house. The little pressure regulator is cheap and simple. I, too, would like the pressure to be stronger in my Monty, but it is what it is.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a thought

How old is your pressure regulator?? They do go bad, and then the water stream is less than we would hope.

Agree with Stiles, not wise to go without one.

Could be a matter of perception, I would think your water pressure is fine, you don't?? Hard to judge from your comments, but 1/2 stream at the kitchen does not sound low to me?? Again, real hard to tell without seeing it.

A test of the pump and holding tank system might tell you if you are capable of getting more water out of the faucets, which would lead me back to question one, if you get more from the pump, how old is that regulator?? Or, it could be new and still be a bad regulator.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The pressure in your stick house was probably around 90 psi. Most campgrounds cater to the RV community and have their pressure set around 40 psi. DON'T TRUST IT! ALWAYS USE A REGULATOR! 40 psi regulators don't allow you a lot of pressure in your RV but it is sufficient. You just have to kind of get used to it. As someone else said, your regulator may be bad. I use an adjustable regulator and have it set for 75 psi. This gives us pretty good pressure and is safe for the RV plumbing. I understand that the plumbing in the RVs is tested at about 130-140 psi.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
I have found the same issue w/water pressure at campgrounds. One reason we like the Mountaineer floor plan was the all in one bath/shower so we plan on using this rater than stroll down to the campground shower. I purchased a CM pressure regulator pre-set to 45PSI, I found that the proper name should have been water restrictor because the water flow is awful----I believe a regulator is in order, so I’m going to upgrade to a higher quality device and see if it makes a differance
RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We are happy if we can have our morning shower with decent enough pressure so we try not to use any other tap while someone is in the shower. We also always use a line pressure regulator.

We got lucky when we put this Peerless faucet in because in spray mode it really adds pressure.
We liked it so much we put the same one in our stick house, but in the stick house, the spray mode is too powerful and splashes water all over. We have to adjust the tap to real low pressure to use the spray in the house. Wide open is perfect in the Monty.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...ctures8010.jpg
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

I use a regulator and just bought a new one after the last one got clogged up. However, I am guilty of taking it off at some RV parks where I find the pressure to be too low with the regulator on.

I also know the shower heads (inside and out) have flow restrictors to limit the water consumption. I'm not sure if it's in the head or in the faucet where the hose connects. I've been tempted to try and remove it or change to a new shower head, but haven't got that far.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use a standard adjustable household regulator and have the pressure set at 57 psi. I was told the rigs are tested at 125+# and 60 PSI is an acceptable number. I am not on my own 'puter and therefore can't get to my pics.

Those cheap little inline regulators do go bad and there is no way for anyone to know this unless you keep a discharge gage in the line after the regulator. You may think you are regulated to 40 to 50 psi when in fact you are getting full campground pressure.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
As Carol has mentioned, when you turn your pump on, I would be willing to bet that the pressure is higher than what it is with the water coming out of the regulator, probably more like Glen said, somewhere around 60#. That is the case in my Montana. Not using an in line regulator would be asking for problems.

If yours appears defective, buy a new one and put it on, they are not that expensive.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Some of the smaller water filters will also restrict the flow.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Along with good water pressure also comes a lot of water usage. If you have full hookups and the pressure is low, fill your onboard tank and use that. I find I get much better water flow as a rule from the onboard pump on our rig.

Too bad there isn't an inline water pressure booster you can hookup to the city water. I suppose about the time someone figures that out, the campgrounds won't allow them.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When our water preasure is up we go through hot water quickly Ozzie is correct
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We conserve water by taking a "Navy" bath. For those who don't know, that's wet down, turn water off, soap up, turn water on and rinse. Works for us. We can dry camp for 12-14 days this way and still remain squeaky clean.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
Here is a idea....I have mine set on 54 lbs and have a body spa showerhead that I got at CW and I am very happy....http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Pretty well all of the water fittings have flow restrictors - I took all mine out and get a much better flow. The shower head has one as do the taps. Take them apart - you will find a rubber washer with a very small hole in it - remove or replace with a washer that has a larger hole (less restriction) still not like our home water pressure but you will get a better flow. Of course with the increase in flow you may run out of hot water faster!!
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote