Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
Roof & Plastic Vent Covers

Just a pass along....

We have not used our Montana in a couple of months but we have been checking on it from time to time. We went out to the other day to the lot where it is kept to check on it. It was raining and my wife (little rascal) proceeded to go throughout the inside of the rig to check for leaks. (I usually just stand outside and wait for her to get done. ) Well, she found a hole/crack in the plastic vent cover in the bathroom. I figured something must have hit it although no trees are in the area. When up top to inspect but nothing was there. I barely touched the vent cover and most of it caved in on me. It was brittle as all get out! Of course it was raining and I had to do something. Luckily, we had some plastic bags in the truck so Becky carefully used the crank to lift the vent cover. The seal let go of the cover and I slipped the plastic bag around it. She then lowered it to keep the bag in place. We've had ours since new in 2004. I just cleaned the roof 3 months ago and they seemed fine although I did not check them specifically. I'm just happy we found it when we did; there was very little water in the bathroom. It amazes me that your vent covers may be the weakest link while trying to keep your Montana dry inside. You might want to climb up on your roof to inspect and replace as needed (every 2 years for mine unless I find an alternative to the vent covers.) I found them on line for 13-16 dollars each.

Dave

Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Wow!

That's the first I've heard of such a problem. It sounds like maybe your vent covers had some sort of defect. One that hasn't apparently affected everyone else's.

Could be overexposure to UV did a number on the plastic.

When you cleaned you roof, you didn't use anything with a petroleum base, did you? I know that's bad for the rubber roof. But it might also affect the vents' plastic.

But it's just another good reason to cover all those openings up with Maxx-Airs, or Maxx-Vents.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have a brand new 3400 Monty. The vents were open when we had a rain storm come through. We had rain come in through the bedroom, toilet and the stairwell vents. This was before we put our MaxAir vents covers on the rig. We had our vent covers open to let air out so I fault the person that didn't shut them...... I didn't believe the weather station.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Found the same problem after 4 years on the one vent I did not cover with a MaxAir. The covered one is still like new. It is a simple job to change just the cover portion.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
LOL!

I keep trying to educate my wife into shutting our truck's windows after she gets home from anywhere.

When I go outside, I can be assured that there will be inviting openings for whatever precipitation that might fall while we're sleeping. Regardless what the weatherman might have claimed….

And I can only imagine how much water we'd get inside this rig if I didn't buy those vent covers!

Steve

Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Another reason I really like my MaxxAir vent covers...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Those MaxxAir's also serve another great purpose. Without the MaxxAir's you would never want to travel down the hiway with the vents open. The wind would rip the covers off. With the MaxxAir's we travel down the Interstates, rain or shine, with the vents open. On these particularly hot days we are having it does help to keep the inside a bit cooler and more comfortable if you have to use the facilities along the road. While traveling last week we ran through some heavy rain with the vents open but with the MaxxAir's not a drop of rain got inside.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Do you use Maxx Air vent covers on your auto fantastic fans. if so does it block any of the air?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:39 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Broom101 Yes some have posted a 40% air flow loss. I now have two Fantastic fans in out of the three opening, the vent covers that I removed and the one still on are in good shape. I would see the advantage and would like the Maxx Air in the necessary rooms vent.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dennis,

Wow! Are you sure about that amount of loss being mentioned? When it was posted, do you recall if there was any evidence to support it? And do you know if it referred to the standard small Maxx Air Vent, ( http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxairVentCover.aspx ) or the larger Fan-Mate, ( http://www.maxxair.com/products/Fan-Mate.aspx ) which is designed to function over a Fan-Tastic?

I can imagine someone trying to get away with using the smaller cover for a Fan-Tastic being disappointed with air flow. It’d probably be noticeably less.

And I think that I've been tossing the wrong names around in here, without realizing it. I've got the Fan-Mates on my Fan-Tastics, and the standard Maxx Air Vents on the other vents.

And none of the vents seem to be choked for air.

Steve
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Another vote for the Maxx Air vent covers. In storage one time a couple of little b43+4*ds broke into several units, including mine by getting on the roof and kicking out the vent, then crawling through to let their buddies in through the door. The gained entrance through the only vent that I didn't have a Maxx Air on, and the rigs that had all the vents covered weren't bothered.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Posted - May 01 2006 : 10:58:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the manufacture (I spoke with them at the rally) the vent cover reduces it's effectiveness in moving air. If I remember correctly they said it reduced their efficiency by about 40%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve & Betty
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch

Found this posted by a MOC member, I don't have Maxx Air vents installed on the camper, I personally can't say. I have two Fanatic fans now after installing one yesterday. I will say this after using a little better than a tube of caulk, I then used the remaining 3/4 tube on other spots on the roof. There were cracked places all over in the old caulk, a must do maintenance job!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

I'm guessing that referred to the smaller Maxx Air Vent. It had a semi-fine mesh screen in it. That surely would interfere with air flow.

The large Fan-Mate had a bigger area, with larger mesh. Plus, it was designed with the added airflow a Fan-Tastic creates and needs.

I think I'll go up and check my roof...Caulk and all!

Steve