Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The basic problem with the decals on 2004-05 models is Montana used different vendor more than likely at a cheaper price and we all are paying for that mistake on those that have these models. They changed vendors back to original in 06 models. My decals are looking very bad and peeling very bad. Montana did send me new decals for my rig, I am waiting till look to bad for me to take before trying to remove the old and replacing them. Once I do replace them not sure I will put all of them back on, depends on how much of old I can get off the front. Will get up with local sign company to find out what will take the decals adhesive off the best, will use heat gun to remove along with plastic scrapper. Will let you know how it goes. But I don't think waxing the decals has anything to do with the peeling more than likely it was manufacture of them poor quality materials, just my opinion.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 AM   #22
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I hope that Keystone would not want their units on the road with decals hanging off the side or missing and showing different coloration. I don't think peeling decals presents a positive view of their advertised "quality". I would hope they are smart enough to recognize the bad press peeling decals create and work with the owners to replace them. Standing behind their product creates a reputation and generates new and return customers
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree, Steve. GM had trouble with their 2001-2002 D/A injectors (mine were just replaced @ 122K - 3K miles ago), so they went and extended the warranty to 7 yrs/200K on them to replace problems free of charge. This is a much more practical and economic way of handling this problem with a total recall.

I would think Montana could follow this example on the 2004-2005 decal problem. Keeps those owners from swarming into the dealerships with a problem they don't yet have, but keeps them happy knowing that if and when they start to have a problem, it's a freebie.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:36 AM   #24
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Dave only if it would be that simple. Cannot remember the guys name that told me the name of the graphics company they went back to or the ones that made mine. But if the ones have that are to replace the old ones is by the same folks then the problem will more than likely follow these as well. who knows only time will tell. They cannot say it's because it's in the weather all the time we only camp about 7-10 times a year other that that it's parked under a fully enclosed RV port, so i know I am out of the weather. We usually camp from about April till early September then it's football season. Football, Football, football 6 sometimes seven days a week, with two boys keeps us very busy. Matter of fact the oldest has already started conditioning training two days per week. % days per week starts on Aug 8th. But they love it and I love watching them.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That really brings back a flood of memories about the football conditioning, Rodney. 5 yrs college, 1 yr Canada. I also know what you mean about watching your kids play.

I quit coaching for several years just so I would have NO conflicts with watching my kids compete. I loved coaching (football) at both the college and HS level, and some say I was very good at it. However, years ago, when I was coaching and before my kids were in sports yet, I discovered one of my seniors, before his 2nd to last game, sitting in the locker room by himself, distraught. I asked him if he was all right. He looked up to me with tears streaming down his face and said, "Coach, just once I wish my Mom would come and watch me play. She has never come to one of my games in four years - ever."

I was immediately sad (fought back tears myself), then very angry at that parent, totally baffled how any parent could do that. I calmed down - slightly, called the parent and very calmly talked them nicely into getting off their selfish butt before I had to come over and kick it all the way to the field (well that was kinda nice - for a coach...). I made a VOW right then and there. I will NEVER, NEVER let my self-centered, egotistical, idiotic self (or schedule) to EVER cause one of my kids to say anything remotely similar to that - EVER.

I know it's hard to make every game - home and away - but I that incident motivated the tar out of me. When my five kids (2 boys/3 girls) were playing (I, too, had a stretch where EVERY night of the week I had a son or daughter somewhere on a field, or on a court, somewhere in N. Mich), they knew if they looked up in the stands - at a good play, or a disasterous turnover, their Dad would be watching their every move with extreme pride and encouragement - not coaching another team somewhere else in the state, or at a practice. 2 All-States and several All-Conferences, and yes I am proud, and NO I am not sorry one moment that I gave up my coaching career - albeit under heavy pressure not to do so (I just was approached this past week, again). Kids are all out of the house now, but I have other goals now. FTing with my best friend (my wife), and spending some great moments around this country meeting and chatting with my fellow MOCers...

Sorry admins... way off topic... just hit a VERY hot button. I'm done, sorry if I offended anyone. Rodney, you are to be congratulated and commended. Your kids will always remember your dedication to them in their proudest moments. Mine have...
Old 06-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #26
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well come on done to NC if the coaching thing gets to itching again, my oldest sons team can use the help. Youngest is still in Little league so he has way to go but both of them love it. Oldest is big boy 13YOA 6'2" yes 6'2" 196Lbs and not fat big boy so he is in high demand. Plays both ways and it kills him in early season when it's so hot. I have tried to talk to the coach about letting some of his starters that go both ways to give them break ever know and then and he could get more out of them, but you think he listens NO. Anyway I gave up a job I loved some 11 years ago to be with kids more and help them develop into productive citizens of this great country of ours. but thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Coaches sometimes run what they think are their "horses" right into the ground during a critical game. The coach reasons that this is "his year". Seen it done a lot. No matter what kind of shape they're in, or what kind of superstar athletes he thinks he has, the last half of the 4th quarter (or sooner) - when you need them the worst - they gas out (physically and psychologically) and lose critical games.

Then the next year, because the coach never gave any game time to his "future" players - which I cannot stress enough, is absolutely critcal - he laments having a "mediocre" year... even though the basketball team that year - with those same kids - managed to win the conference...

Anyone relate to this???

*On Edit~ Sorry... was everyone done talking about decals and wax, for now???
Old 06-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #28
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sorry... was everyone done talking about decals and wax, for now???
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I thought I took a wrong turn somewhere. Some of these topics have a tendency to wander don't they?
Speaking of wandering, did I ever tell you about the time I .................?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Now, Charlie, I did bring up "wax" and "decals" at the end. Probably doesn't count, though... Sorry!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The outfit that makes the Montana as well as most all Keystone graphics is Burlington Graphics. You could try emailing them at Bgsinc@burlingtongraphics.com and complaining. If they get enough complaints they may decide to do something.
This is the company that sent me the graphics I have on my TV. I wrangled a deal with one of the Montana reps when we were in Goshen.

BTW-The letters in the word Montana on the nose of my 04 Monty are also starting to peel but not the rest of the graphic.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #31
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just did my coach with Protect All and it is supposed to be fine for everything so I did the decals and the rubber mouldings. This product is fantastic on the sides and the decals but it is not quite as easy to use on the front and rear gel coat caps so if you have the gel coat sides you might want to try something else. I washed my rig a couple days ago and it was very shiny. I think the dealer must have waxed mine for the PDI because it has always had a good shine so the Protect All did not really improve the shine but the towel drag is a huge different. The cloth slides across the treated areas with far less friction than the untreated areas and this product has UV blockers built in. It is so simple to use, spray a little on, wipe it with a rag damp with the product, and right away you wipe it off with a dry cloth. There is no powder that you get with paste waxes and these powders can start the delamination process on decals I am sure.
For those of you that use different products on the fibreglass and the decals, you have a lot more patience than I have. Take care.

Oh, the ealier comments on parents and sports is so true. Donna and I watched our 2 kids play soccer in the cold rain many many times and I even coached my daughter's team one season and there were a few parents that dropped their kids off and went elsewhere all the time. These same poor parents were quite often late coming back after the game so being the Coach, of course you can't leave a 12 year old girl alone at a soccer field, Donna and I and our daughter would wait and try to cheer the poor kid up because these kids are embarassed by their parents actions.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:37 AM   #32
MertelBeach

M.O.C. #4152
We discovered a group of products that we use to maintain our 3400. The first secret is to prevent the chaulking from occurring in the first place. However, if your rig has chaulking, we know of a product that will remove it.

These products have an exclusive formula called "Polyguard" and are UV protectant. They clean, seal and polish the surfaces without water and can be used on all finishes - fiberglass, metal, glass, gel coat, plastic, chrome - to name a few. And yes, we became distributors.

PM us if you would like additional info.

’06 3400RL, ’02 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Duty Power Stroke 7.3, Banks Power Six Gun w/exhaust brake, techni-inner cooler, and extra transmission cooler, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 16K Slider
MertelBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #33
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The owner's manual for our 2007 3400, states to "wax with an automotive wax or polish developed for boats." No mention of avoiding the graphics with wax/polish. Later it says, "Wax and wash with the graphic, not against it."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I always wax over the decals and we've had no problems with our decals on this Montana that is outside all the time. We have a few pits on the nose decals but no problems with the edges. I guess that statement about washing/waxing with the graphic and not against it must mean rub from the inside out so you're not rubbing into the edges. That makes sense and I will remember that.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote