Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Coach1

M.O.C. #2937
Waxing

Does anyone have a secret product, that will bring back the original shine on the front cap. Mine spends a great deal of time in the sun and is chaulky and dull. I have used many different products, to no avail. It still got chaulky and dull.

Coach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I haven't tried it as yet but a very close RVing friend swears by Gel-Gloss. He uses it on his Motor Home as well as his car. Easy to apply and remove. It is a bit pricey but a gallon has lasted him over 3 years.

Unless I hear some negative reports on here, on my next trip to CW and I will be getting a jug.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I bough some, haven't used it on the outside of the 5th wheel yet but have used it on the counters and it does an excellent job cleaning and putting a smooth semi shine on them.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The gel gloss is excellent for removing the chalking but I don't think it protects any better than several other waxes/protectants.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I have been talking with several folk's that are involved with DECALS and most have advised me that your asking for trouble WAXING with any wax that has a patrolieum base. They say that this will cause the decal to shrink. It will not be happen right away, but within a year or no more that two the decals will start to shrink and curl. I am getting some info on a wax for our Montana's and will post it... SOON. be careful until then... I understand the decals run $150.00 each plus labor to replace.

Later John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll

I just finished doing the front cap, I had a dull surface along with having the front decal replaced. They used stripper to allow the decal to stick. Our Sun is harse in Albuquerque. I used rubbing compound w/a buffer/sander,I also keep the surface wet. It's messy but it shined again. Then I used Turtle Wax Platinum high gloss with a smaller buffer. It looks good but I'll keep my eye on curling of the decal.

Jack

ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We waxed our Montana last winter while in Florida. I had bought a can of Fast Wax from a distributer at a Good Sam Samboree. It brought out the shine and has kept the RV sparkling. It will take two cans to do the whole Montana. I found the manufacture in North Carolina and purchased a couple of cans to finish my cars with. The NASCAR racers use it and have had no complaints about the decals coming offthe cars. The water just sheds off the RV and cars. It is a spray can waterless wax that is easy to buff off. We have used it on the counter, shower walls, along with the cars and boat with great results. We have liked it so well that we became a distributer of the FAST WAX.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Glenn and Lorraine, I have not used the Gel-Gloss on the front cap but on the shower, sink, stove and microwave. It sure leaves a nice shine on all of these and I think it keeps them cleaner longer. I have use Gel-Gloss on the bathroom in my house too!

Coach1: I use Protect All and have had good results with it.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ken

We waxed our Montana last winter while in Florida. I had bought a can of Fast Wax from a distributer at a Good Sam Samboree. It brought out the shine and has kept the RV sparkling. It will take two cans to do the whole Montana. I found the manufacture in North Carolina and purchased a couple of cans to finish my cars with. The NASCAR racers use it and have had no complaints about the decals coming offthe cars. The water just sheds off the RV and cars. It is a spray can waterless wax that is easy to buff off. We have used it on the counter, shower walls, along with the cars and boat with great results. We have liked it so well that we became a distributer of the FAST WAX.
Found this for Fast Wax
http://www.bubbajackstackle.com/fast_wax.htm
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I've used the gel gloss many times and is good stuff. My front and rear cap are still not lke new but the sun takes its toll. The fast wax Ken is talking about is great stuff. I even use it on the windows. It makes the job alot quicker.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
John does that mean that the same warning for Dicor rubber roofs applies to decals also? Dicor says NOT to use Petroleum Distillates in any form on there roof. The curling you say may be the Petroleum Distillates effects on the decal?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In the newer Montanas they must be using either a different substance for adhering the decals or the decals are altogether different than mine. Our rig is over 6 years old and, although there is some fading, the decals are all intact.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'm with Orv on this one. Our Montana is over four years old and decals are still in great shape.

knock on wood
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have been applying Aerospace 303 on my decals, so far they do not seem to be peeling or fading. On the other hand they are shrinking, going to use some rubbing alcohol around them to take the glue off.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just curious... If someone had to take their Montana back in to have their decals totally re-done - off warranty - how much does the dealership charge for this? Anyone ever had this done? Seems like shrinking decals are a universal problem eventually - no matter what is done to try to stop this process.

Or doesn't it really look that bad, so everyone just lets them go and hope no one notices?

Or is this our benchmark to use when it's time to trade in???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
If you use the rubbing alcohol to take the "glue" off around the edge of the decals, nobody will know your decals have "shrunk". I have started this little task and would imagine it could take maybe two days at the most, working at a slow pace around the coach to remove the glue. I figure this is just another step in the "rv upkeep" that one has to do every now and then. Remember this is my 3rd year with the coach and the decals are just now starting to show signs of shrinking. I am most concerned with fading and peeling, as long as they "look good" I wont mind if they are a tad bit smaller than the new ones. You might look into the Aerospace 303, it really seems to help keep the "color" and "softness" in the decals. 1 bottle has lasted me 3 years now.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #17
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Dennis that may be. I have found the wax that is synthetic. Car collectors use the stuff and serveral other RV folk's I know intoducted me to it. It's a little pricy, by I have never used a wax that is so easy to put on... Get a small pint bottle and try it. www.finishfirstpolish.com Tell Homer John Hogan sent you. I hate waxing and like this so much both the trucks wife's car and 5er got it and I am not really tired although it did take a few days to get two coats on. You will also notice that the black streaks just wipe off with a soft rag. no scrubbing or using harsh detergent like I have done so many times... You really need to try the stuff. You will not be sorry

Stay safe and Happy John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 AM   #18
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Finish First polish sounds like some great wax. I don't like to wax ether, but that is a high priced wax.

I have talked to some wax techs about there products (Turtle, Nu finish, Majurlers, Black Magic, Gel-Gloss) they mostly say to stay away from decals, not because of pealing but mostly washing the color out of the decal. Petroleum Distillates don't seem to be a big concern to the wax techs. But, you might say they would be BIOS toward there products also?

To the first question on this post after receiving my gallon of Aerospace 303 from Summit yesterday, and reading more about the uses try this to help with the front cap

Method 1).
Spray 303 on the surface liberally, rub it around with your hand or a thoroughly saturated sponge or cloth to assure the gel coat is thoroughly wetted with 303. After a couple of hours if any portion of the surface is dull, apply more 303 to that portion. Let soak in for 12-24 hours. The entire surface will look like new, but to complete the job all the unabsorbed 303 must be wiped away. This is easily done with a clean towel and bucket of clean water. Soak the towel in the water, wring out most of the water and wipe down the gel coat. If it is a large area, you will have to rinse out the towel periodically.

Here is the link for more info
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=362
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure I understand. Does Gel-Gloss RESTORE the shine to a front cap that is sadly dull (like ours) for whatever reason? I wouldn't even mind using gel-gloss followed by a wax if that will make it shine again. I would much rather do that than to get out there with rubbing compound and a buffer and dealing with not beating up the decals.

Our decals are four years old next month. They're not curling nor peeling although they are pitted from little rocks and, I assume, hard-shelled bugs and a couple of birds that have glanced off the nose cap at speed. But the gel-coat on the cap itself is in pretty sad shape.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #20
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
Gel Gloss is one of the best I have found for removing the oxidation. Camping World has the RV version with carnuba wax or you can find regular Gel Gloss at Home Depot. It works pretty good too. Meguiar's has a cleaner/wax that is excellent also.

Our front decals are curling and peeling quite a bit on our 2004. The only things I have used on it are Protectall, Thetford bug remover and fabric softener sheets. I don't think any of these are the cause. I'm more inclined to think Montana changed suppliers or the supplier changed to a "new & improved" material. Either way there are going to be a bunch of sad looking Montana's in a few years which is not a good advertisement.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote