Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Fresh water flow

The water flow from the land line is almost down to a trickle.
I cleaned the filter cylinder, which helped, but the flow is still very low.
I know it is the filter because I tested the flow out of the faucet and the water pressure device.
I have a Taste Pure CXR90 from Camco. Has anyone had any experience with this water filter system. Have you found a system that works better?

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Have you checked the screens on your faucets? I had mine partially plug restricting water flow.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have tried those water hose filters like you are using ... the water in some areas just doesn't take much to load them up. Not endorsing Camping World, but here's an example of what works alot better for me. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...12874&src=SRQB These use more of a whole house filter element that can easily be found at any Walmart. Actually the filter assy can be bought at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Sutherlands as well as the garden hose fitting adaptors.

After reading your post again .. Did you mean to say it isn't the filter???
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use the type that dieselguy is refering to and have not had a problem. In fact if you ever set up at Pla-Mor Campground in Breman Indiana I would suggest two of these.

Bought ours at Home Depot or Lowes (CRS kicking in) for a lot less than Camping World.
If you do get one, be sure to buy both the of proper brass fittings. The filter will have 2- IPT (iron pipe thread) female fittings and you will need to adapt it to a male and female garden hose thread.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Did I understand... you connected the water feed to your trailer without the filter and you then had good pressure at the faucets in the trailer? Just trying to understand if it is the filter restricting your flow.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
It is the filter!
No - I did not connect the hose to the RV without the filter.
I tested each piece individually to see where the water flow decreased. When I had the pressure regulator + the filter connected to the hose, but not to the RV - that is when I experience the degraded flow. The regulator alone did not impact a good flow.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Good news is that the filter did its job & did not foul any of your interior water distribution systems with KRUD from contaminated H2O.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We use the "whole house" filter noted in the earlier posting, plus, we use one of the standard charcoal-type inline filters "doewnstream" from the whole house filter. Works fine, and we change both sets of filters every 3 or so months of full time use, more often if the filter in the whole house unit becomes significantly discolored. Easy to see...transparent housing. Refills cartridges are very inexpensive. Got that unit and refills at Lowes...it is a Whirlpool model, as I recall.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Does anyone use an "under sink" filter to handle filtering water from your internal fresh water tank? I was thinking of putting in a really good one that could handle all drinking water, externally or internally supplied, to the kitchen sink. If the water is too bad at a CG, I could also get one of these cheaper (under $100) filters to keep from coming out of the shower with an automatic tan (from the rust).

Since we plan on living in this 3400, I want a GOOD filter - Quixtar eSpring is my choice - $508. This IS a worry free filter. I really don't want to be hauling bottled water for drinking/cooking. I am doing that now at our apartment.

The only thing I need to check on is that this eSpring - like most other under sink filters - requires a certain water pressure. While CG pressure (w/ an in-line press regulator) should be fine, I am curious as to the pressure generated by our built in Montana water pump. I also remember that we discovered at our factory tour May 16th, that Montana is now putting in NEW (better?) water pumps.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave the water filter at the source of the water protects your water heater. Very important. If I remember right there was a discussion last year about a filter that required special pressure and it was decided a lt of CG did not meet that pressure.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know a reverse osmosis system requires a certain pressure. I have emailed eSpring on this issues.

Also, I understand the need to protect your water heater from rust, etc. Do many actually take that precaution, though, Sue? Just curious. I certainly don't mind running that $33 inline filter in front of the water heater. I haven't heard of this, though. I did a search of a year back on this. I didn't get past this thread, though.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave,
Once you start camping you will notice most people with filters hve them either at the faucet or at the inlineat the rig. It is not rust you are protecting, it is the chemicals in the water. Not long ago there was a thread with pictures from someone who had a bunch of white flaky stuff come out of them water heater. I remember on our other unit when we were in Morgan Hill (known to have bad water) there was about a cup of white flaky stuff that came out of the water heater when we changed the anrod.
Happy trails...........................
Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Sue. Makes sense. We'll check into that. Really don't want a cheap filter, though. My chemistry and biology background precludes an ineffective water filter.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen will only use spring water or bottled water for cooking and drinking (I on the other hand don't care ) We carry a in line filter with us but do not use it as much as we once did as most C.G's are going to a better water supply. If we are local camping we fill the fresh water tank about 1/2 as one is always accustomed to the taste of their own cities water supply. We use camground water , in general, for showering, Etc.Only a couple of times did the filter save the day and that was in CG's with well water and we sucked dirt and sand and the filter clogged before it got into the camper lines. However..the filter is a inexpensive safety device.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, if you go to Goshen, you will be filtering Rust. Different part of the country that what Sue is talking about, (wow Sue that is a LOT of white stuff, how long to accumulate that??)

Anyone that has camped in Bremen, Indiana will tell you how bad the rust is, many of us were using 2 filters. Some of us could not wash our hair as it would discolor it. The laundry at the campground has warnings that your white clothes will be discolored.

So, as with everything in this sport, it all has to do with where you are and the conditions. Another example, the water in the RGV, having stayed at 3 parks, is not particularly rusty or loaded with that white stuff that Sue is talking about, but is very hard. We felt it was even more hard in the Mission area over the Donna and Mercedes area. Our expensive but heavenly solution was the water softener.

Many of us find the water filters on the outside are sufficient, many use one to remove the minerals and rust and some add the one that has the charcoal for sweeter water. Al and I use distilled water for drinking. Cooking, dishes, dog washing, and people washing are done from the water that comes out of the faucets in Tana, no matter where she is parked. In most cases Al and I are happy with the mineral remover filter and the water softener (when set up for extended stays).
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the heads up on the Goshen water..we will bring full fresh water tanks and a good supply of bottled water. The rusty water is high iron content same as the water in our hunting camp in NW , PA. If you are iron deficient drink a gallon or two but stay away from magnets..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol - about a year, maybe a little more. We had been at another CG that had well water which is usually hard. When I was in Upstate NY I had a incident at a neighbors where we colored my hair and then washed it. I had green hair! I was working as a court reporter and had to go to work that way. There are many different brand on the market. We always use bottled water for drinking and making coffee as my body doesn't like changes in water. But I hadn't thought of CG water affecting my hair and laundry.
Happy trails........................
Old 06-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue, interesting, that really is a lot of stuff, even for a year!

Did not happen to me, as I am allergic to hair dye, perms all that kind of stuff, but, one of the gals had just had her hair dyed, and could not wash her hair, she told me it would turn it orange. That said, is orange or green worse?? YIKES, GREEN??? oh, dear.

The rust is so bad in this area, (Bremen specifically) that a brand new clean filter will turn orange in about 5 days.

Rich, the water at the Elkhart County Fairground is NOT as bad as at Plamor in Bremen, I believe it is city water. A filter attached to the hose before it enters Montana should be sufficient there.

Sue, I am with you, different water does not agree with me, and the vet has the 4 yorklets on distilled water. Did you know you can also get bad bottled water?? Sadly, I do, and so do the 4 yorklets. It was ugly, let me tell you.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We experienced the rust in Elkhart and in Bremen but NOT at the Goshen Fairgrounds. The water there is good. We do filter (now) but didn't the two times we stayed at the fairgrounds. The fairgrounds is where the rally will be held this Fall. So no worry about the water there. Those who prefer bottled water will still want to do the same but no worries about rust in the water. At least not at the sites we were in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
I don't remember what type filter we have but we were having pressure problems. I was told that I must soak the filter in very cold water for at least 8 hrs. My first thought was "sure I'll bet that make a diffence". Well guess hat they were right. I bought 2 filters just to try it out. The one out of the box slowed down the flow to nothing the one I soaked in ice water ran fine. Go figure.

Semper Fi
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote