Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Barman54
Established Member

M.O.C. #10031
Outer Bearings Wear ?

I recently repacked an Older Gentlemans Triple 5th wheel, Travel Supreme, 36 ft.
It was at a Travel Trailer Park.
All the outer bearings were pitted, and had to replace them.
Their races were still good.
There was plenty of grease present, and the prior repack was two years earlier.

What would cause the pitting ?
The inner bearings looked good, and were reinstalled.
I know they were China bearings.

I'm to do mine later this year

Thanks for any insight.

Barman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Well at least the bearings on the Montana are NOT from China. Every other European bloc nation there is.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Barman54 - unless you repacked the bearings two years ago yourself, you don't know for sure the condition at that time. Supposing they were good at that time, I would suspect moisture in the hub, particularly if the trailer has sat for that two year period.

bigmurf - sorry to break your bubble but both the 7000# Dexter axles replaced under warranty and the new ones on my 2012 Montana have bearings from non other than CHINA...

So much for the Made in America products.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Barman54
Established Member

M.O.C. #10031
The Gentleman goes from St. Louis to South Texas for the Winter, his Son in Law did them last time.
Did not see any moisture or water grease seperation present.
The load on the bearings seemed up to snuf, when we took them apart ?
Out
Barman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Usually tapered roller bearings fail because of lack of grease, moisture, contamination particles, overloading or tension.

Here is a link to everything and more you might want to know about bearing failure. It might help you determine what the cause was..

Good luck, hope the replacements and repack do the job.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...ochure5892.pdf
Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
The races should be replaced with the new bearings, as a set.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I strongly agree with mobil ... it's just a given practice in the mechanical maintenance world ... if you replace a bearing that has a separate race ... you replace the race as well. A new bearing will never really settle into a used bearing race ... If you can't drive the old race out and have access to a welder, simply run a small bead on the face of the race ... it will shrink it quickly and the race will fall out of the hub without damage to the hub.
I also agree with Irlpguy ... you just never know what went on before you get ahold of something nowdays. I've seen "inovative" repairs where I don't want to know what went on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Barman54 - unless you repacked the bearings two years ago yourself, you don't know for sure the condition at that time. Supposing they were good at that time, I would suspect moisture in the hub, particularly if the trailer has sat for that two year period.

bigmurf - sorry to break your bubble but both the 7000# Dexter axles replaced under warranty and the new ones on my 2012 Montana have bearings from non other than CHINA...

So much for the Made in America products.

You didn't break my bubble. I stand by what I said. My 04 bearings are NOT made in China.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
bigmurf I don't know if you are better off with a bearing made in the Chech Republic/Mexico or one made in China these days. The OP indicated those bearings were made in China, I know that both sets of axles I have had from Dexter had bearings made in China. My point was more that some manufacturers proudly proclaim Made in America - Made in Canada when in fact some of the components they use are made offshore, but "assembled" here in North America . Why don't they use Timken bearings, at least they used to be made in America and I believe they still are.
It all boils down to which supplier gives them the best price when they quote to supply the manufacturer. That is the sad truth.

Good point from dieselguy and mobil, never change one half of a bearing, in the case of wheel bearings you should always replace the bearing and race as a set. There is no way to properly clean and inspect the inner bearing without removing it, that requires removing the seal. The seal should also be replaced IMHO.