Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Changing DC light to AC

I have the standard 3-bulb (1076) ceiling light as you come into the trailer. Over the years the high-heat bulbs have destroyed the bulb sockets. I have searched the auto stores looking for a suitable replacement with no sucess.

I would like to replace this fixture with a AC light. Radio Shack has a small, compact inverter that can be tucked up into the ceiling which will allow me to install a two bulb light.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I would run 120vac right from the breaker panel. But if you prefer the inverter, make sure your 12 vdc wire is rated for enough current. For example if you use 2, 60 watt bulbs, the 12vdc will require around 10 amps to make the two 60 watt bulbs work. Also make sure you know what else is on that fuse. You don't want to blow the fuse and you won't want to up size the fuse. They are typically sized for the wires and fixtures originally installed.
However you do it, be careful and it sounds like a nice upgrade to have.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would continue my search for the 12 volt replacement sockets. You might try West Marine for parts.
If you can get power for the 120v inverter to 12 volt supply, just install a new 120v fixture. Some options for you.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
using an inverter seems like a Rube Goldberg way to do things. Inverters have been known to fail (I've seen two cheap ones just stop working and one of them actually smoked (dangerous)). Small inverters need lots of ventilation to keep them cool and putting one in the ceiling doesn't sound like the way to go (maybe outside the ceiling, then that gets ugly.

Either run a new 110v wire, or get a completely new fixture with proper bulb and replace it altogether.

Warning about those 12v bulbs. Most of them look alike but are not. Just because the bulb fits in the socket, the bulbs are of all kinds of intensity. In a prior rig I found that the prior owner have replaced a defective bulb with something else and it was causing the lens to melt. They had purchased and replaced the bulb without consideration for the "model number" and therefore the rating. The days of just replacing with an 1157 or whatever that old single filament number used to be have been over for some years. There are now too many variations and power ratings. If you don't use the exact replacement per brand you are gonna have a problem. There is a conversion chart from brand to brand, that can be used for a match.

This might solve your burnout problem and save you from all that other work. The proper bulb should not be burning anything out. Maybe the factory put too high of intensity bulbs. I have seen this in other rigs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
My 3 bulb chandlier over the island in the kitchen has done this. I have took it down and cleaned everything 2 times. Someone on here said to change the 1076 bulbs to 1004 they are a little smaller but they work and they are not as hot and seem to be holding up better. I would love to change the fixture but it looks real good and the new ones are different I don't like those as much. If you folks come up with a better plan or find the sockets please post it.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This might be a good application for LED's if you can find some that are bright enough.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I'd go with Tom's idea
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
ditto on the Tom idea, I have been thinkin about this and also wandered if anyone had done this. Guess soon we will know!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Art's words of wisdom:
"A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction."
Art, if lectures are all you have to offer please do not respond to MY questions anymore.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I went by West Marine today, they had a socket that almost would work. It was $10.50 a piece (needed three) and was made of plastic also.

Guess I'll run an AC line over to the panel.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Well Larry, you have taken rude to a whole new level. art is an ultimate professional in his replies and should not expect any less in return. Maybe you should take your comments elsewhere.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't think Art was quoting the definition of a Rube Goldberg deal, just trying to say it was more complicated than necessary, probably should give him the benefit of a comment taken the wrong way. What is in our heads often does not come out well spoken, on this Internet deal..
Why don't we all take a deep breath.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Art was right about inverters needing breathing room. He contributes valuable insight to this forum. Please don't take his comments the wrong way. Let's take Ozz's advice. All together now, deep breath.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

Art's words of wisdom:
"A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction."
Art, if lectures are all you have to offer please do not respond to MY questions anymore.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I went by West Marine today, they had a socket that almost would work. It was $10.50 a piece (needed three) and was made of plastic also.

Guess I'll run an AC line over to the panel.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I believe you has vastly misinterpreted Art's comments! I never known Art to rude in any way, nor do I think he was trying to lecture you. He always tries to help.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks all for the support.

Larry, I apologize for being at a loss, but I was responding post with testimonial not advice. The inverter idea can be dangerous if not vented properly, period. Using an inverter at the end of a 12v wire so that it can convert to 110v, then have to run another 110v wire from it to a brand new fixture is overkill (and potentially dangerous), compared to running a new 110v wire which you've decided to do and also suggested along with others' responses.

Then I provided testimonial regarding light fixtures and how owners have not replaced bulbs correctly and this can cause problems. Again no advice here, just precautions to a real "safety" problem that I and others have experience. Sockets that overheat means there's something wrong and a bulb has been known as a cause.

Then using your words "any thoughts/suggestions" as guidance for my post, be assured I never meant any disrespect and never will but doesn't my reply fall into the "any thoughts/suggestions"? I apologize to you personally for however I upset you for responding to your public post in a public forum per your original post. I was not off topic or abusive to you which would be things not to do in a forum.

Good luck with your project and I hope whatever you do works very well for you. Maybe you can even post your mod for others to admire.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Ozz, thanks for the bucket of cold water. I guess I had reached the boiling point over a typical, poorly engineered, over-priced piece of RV/Marine junk. I hate being put in a position, by the manufacturer, where I can't find the parts to fix their junk.

To Art and the others that I might have offended, I apologize.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Larry, you are a good man. We are a family here, what family does not have a misunderstanding every once and a while.
I am with you on the 'lowest bidder' deal, I make a fair living upgrading the HVAC stuff I work on and improve.
Hey, it's all good!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #17
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

Ozz, thanks for the bucket of cold water. I guess I had reached the boiling point over a typical, poorly engineered, over-priced piece of RV/Marine junk. I hate being put in a position, by the manufacturer, where I can't find the parts to fix their junk.

To Art and the others that I might have offended, I apologize.
If you think that's bad, try being an astronaut! I heard one speak years ago in Florida and he made this point: "How would you like to got to the moon using a rocket and spacecraft built by the lowest bidder?". Yeah, I laughed, but it sure made me think!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I've seen a pretty good assortment of 12v fixtures at Camping World. My opinion is that 2 60w bulbs would put out a lot more heat than 3 15-20w 12v bulbs. Not to mention the heat created by the converter. If you can't find lower wattage 12v bulbs and sockets locally try eBay. I get all my weird electrical parts from eBay.

Did you try an auto parts store for the sockets? I know they usually carry both bayonet and twist-lock sockets, but you may have to do some adapting to get them to work.

Or better yet! Send the whole mess to ozz and he'll turn it into a low heat, dimmable, remote controlled fixture and document the process so well that I could build one too.

Muddypaws
I tried LED lighting. Too dim and the color was all wrong.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote