Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Broken toilet

Well, my wife did it. She broke our toilet, well, when she stepped on the foot pedal, heard a click and it went immediately to the floor. The slide flapper does not work now. Looks like it is broken. Do you buy parts to fix this or is it easier to just install a new toilet? How hard is it to replace the toilet?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Mike,
Sounds like the cross shaft broke into two. The early toilets had a plastic shaft & that they changed over to a brass one in 2006 -07?
Not a bad job...you have to pull toilet off floor. They make a kit for this repair..most RV service centers carry this kit.
Hope that helps....

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ditto the kit. Call the manufacturer to see if they make a kit and get the right kit number. We had to replace the pedal mechanism in our rig. Bought the kit at the local RV store. Wouldn't hurt to take it apart and take broken parts to the RV store.

Because I was unsure about what to do and had very limited time, I called in a mobile RV repair guy. It cost an extra $50 for the service call.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Well, my wife did it. She broke our toilet, well, when she stepped on the foot pedal, heard a click and it went immediately to the floor. The slide flapper does not work now. Looks like it is broken. Do you buy parts to fix this or is it easier to just install a new toilet? How hard is it to replace the toilet?
Our toilet is a Thetford Aqua IV. Twice we have had the same thing happen to us in the first four years we owned our rig. What happened is that the cable that flushes rusted and broke. After having it happen the second time, we purchase the hand flush style of toilet and it has worked well for the past six years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe our first toilet was the same as yours, I did the same, step on the flusher, snap, no more flusha.

Al called around, the local approved repair facilities really did not want to work on it, said, (sorry, but this is what they said), it was a piece of junk, and they would not be bothered.

SIGHHHH

We got an upgrade toilet, so far, so good.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Hmm. I can't find my model on the Thetford site. I wonder if they have discontinued this model. Looks like I will have to wait until this holiday weekend is over. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, one wire kit ($45), 2 hours 15 minutes, one wife and my toilet now works is cleaner that when I bought it new and does not leak. Sounds good to me!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Mike,
Good to hear that your problem is fixed!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote