Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
toilet chemicals

We are leaving for our first long time trip. We are wondering how often you have to change the chemicals in the toilet? Usually we stay out for a week and dump and put in a new bottle for while it is in storage. We now will be staying a couple of days at campgrounds and don't want to have to put a full bottle in every time we dump or close up to leave. How should we handle this situation without using too many bottles of toilet chems? Can we go without for a few days or just use half a bottle, etc? thanks for your replies

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joanie and Dave-- What are you using that it takes a bottle of chemical? We use the dry and put in a scoop or two everytime we dump the tank the add some extra water to dissolve the power. Actually I fill the bowl with water then drop in the power and let it dissolve and then flush the toilet. I then add more water to the tank via the stool flushing so it leaves plenty of water in the tank to break down anything that MAY be left after the dumping and flushing the tank out. Also how large are your bottles of chemical?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have not used any chemicals for two years now. After reading about those who didn't we tried that and enjoy saving the money. We go about a week between dumping the tank. Never any odor problems and the wife has a very very sensitive nose. I flush out the tank while dumping and have never had a plugging problem since I began RV'ing in 1969, except when I borrowed a MH for a weekend trip and it was already plugged when we took it. Never borrow again.
As Rondo asked, what are you using that requires a whole bottle? Hope it is a small one.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I will always dump my tanks if the Monty is going into storage unless it's going out in a week or so the stuff is not that expensive to buy.
I will put 5 gallons of water in my Black tank and put a scoop of One Happy Camper in the hole with it. as for the gray I do them the same way as the black tank.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
When we started several years ago we used the various chemicals in the toilet. But soon discovered that with use of plenty of water and using the flush feature to clean the black tank we did not need to use the chemicals.

So far so good.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We only use Calgon 1 cup after dumiping no odor. I only dump when the system tell me to. Never look at gauges they are always wrong. After you have been in your 5er for awhile you will learn when to dump. Chemicals are a waste of money. We always dump prior to movement to our next destination. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

We only use Calgon 1 cup after dumiping no odor.
Same here...one capfull with some water after each dump.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
We use no chemicals at all and have never had any problems with either our black or gray water systems. We often dump at home in our septic system. Have been told that some of the chemicals are potentially harmful to septic systems. We do not store our RV which is a big advantage compared to those who do. Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do use Calgon and occasionally a enzime based product. We have a dump station here at the stick house so we can keep the tanks in good shape. Have not used chemicals in years. We also do not store the RV and that is a big advantage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We use nothing but water and have no problems after 6 years of fulltiming
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
We have been full-timing for the past month while staying pretty stationary. Today we dumped the full black water tank and tried to use the spray flushing system (have not used it the past couple of dumps, just flushed lots of water thru after the dump). We hooked it up correctly (pretty sure here) and then turned on the water. We could hear the water start to spray then nothing. We turned the water on and off several times and could hear it start the rinsing process, then stop. We don't have a lot of water pressure in this park and not sure if that is the problem or could the sprayer holes inside the black water tank be clogged? Any thoughts!
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim and Vicki,
It could be that the holes are, indeed, blocked but more likely is the check valve.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.
Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
We have used the calgon to keep the tank sides slick and Dawn d/washiher to break up solids for the past 7 years. No smell and tank clean. We also spend 5 months in Yuma at one spot
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Jim n Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9161
Dennis:

Check valve???

Vicki
Jim n Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Vicki,

Hi there. Mine is located under my vanity sink. Mel and Bob changed mine out for me this past winter. Cost was about $15 for replacement part. Labor priceless!

Dennis
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have used a few different brands of chemicals for both the grey and black tanks. Seems the manufacturers directions are pretty much the same for each of the brands we have used: add recommended amount for forty gallon tank every week. We end up dumping the black tank at, or before, the week mark, so we have not been able to determine if the chemicals last longer than a week...although I am sure they will. We also look for chemicals that claim to not only speed up the break down of waste, but also clean seals and sensors.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
A few people have mentioned Calgon, where can you buy this? Is it just like the 40 - 50 lb bags of water softener that you can buy in the big box stores?

Thanks for your input
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #18
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Calgon is available in grocery stores or Walmart. We buy in in a 2# box. I never paid any attention to other uses then a bubble bath, till read about adding it to the holding tanks!!!
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #19
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have been using the Calgon method for the last four years and a year ago started using a bit of lemon pine sol to our recipe as well. Along with a lot of water and regular tank flushing we have had no problems, nor do we have any odors.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote