Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Tires Losing Pressure

Went out on the maiden voyage this past weekend. A couple days before leaving I checked the tires and all were at 80 but one on the left side that was at 60. Looked it over and aired it up. Checked it the next couple days and it would be down 3 or 4 pounds each day. Pulled it and checked in water. No bubbles anywhere and no signs of damage. So we left on Friday with 80 in all four.

When breaking camp Sunday morning, the tires on the left side were at 77 and 80. But the tires on the right side were both at 75 psi. I didn't think I did any unusual turns or anything. BTW, they are China-made GY Marathons.

Was planning on a TPMS eventually, but now I'm wondering about the hassle of pulling the sensors every day of traveling to air up the tires.

Guess I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this much variation in their tire pressures on a daily basis when traveling. I'm hoping that things will settle in and they'll hold pressure, but thought I'd check with folks here in the meantime. Thanks,

gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would check your "rubber" valve stems. Wiggle them around with some water on the rim in that area. The difference in tire pressure may also be do to the outside temperature that day. If colder than the day you aired up they drop pressure.

If you go with TPMS I strongly suggest going all metal valve stems and the bolt down type.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
Like John said, I would check the valve stems. Under road conditions, centrifugal force pulls the valve stems away from the center of the axel. Under static conditions, no problem may be present. Use soapy water to help detect a leak.

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I had this happen to me and it was the valve stem inside was loose,I just tighten it and it was fine after that.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, we had that problem until we had metal valve stems installed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
A spray bottle of soapy water will help find the leak. just spray it on. The metal valve stems are great advice.

kevin

PS: I carry a small spray bottle of soap and water for tire and propane checks.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We had similar problems with one tire on our previous unit...turned out there was a "slight" imperfection in the rim which allowed air to escape...sometimes faster than others. Once the rim was replaced, did not see as much air loss; however, we still always check our air pressure every morning prior to heading out. Seems at least one tire will always need a pound or so.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Concur with the possibility of a bad rim. Had a blowout (Chinese tires)on my previous SOB and the rim got a slight ding in it and would lose air as you are describing even after replacing all the tires. Finally got a new rim and the air loss stopped.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Air temperature and altitude will also affect TP.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Thanks for all the good replies folks! I'm not suspecting a rim (yet anyway) because I've seen pressure drops in 3 tires now. I have used soapy water on the valve stems, but didn't try the wiggle trick, so will try that. Also, I'll air up the tires and try to check them once in a while in the morning before the sun heats things up. I am planning to go to metal stems, BFG TA tires, and a TPMS before heading to Alaska next summer.

Here's a trick for all of us that use soapy water in a pinch. I picked up a 3 pack of bubble stuff at the $ store the other day. The stuff is great for finding leaks in air or propane. Now if they only sold it in a spray bottle!
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Have a happy and safe trip to Alaska! From the photo coverage we have seen of Alaska, it is a trip we envy...again enjoy your trip.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
we are currently in alaska and had tire pressure monitors on our big sky. goodyear g614 with 110 psi... we had to remove the sensors once we started up the alaska highway... 2 of the sensors worked loose and alerted us of a low pressure on these tires. had to pump up the tires, made sure they were tight.... had again, rough road just allows them to work loose.... i am sure once i return to lower 48 next week we will re-install the sensors. just didn't trust them and on the alaska highway sometimes it was hard to safely pull over and tighten up.....otherwise good trip. yukon area had the worse roads....fuel was always available, cost varied .96 to 1.36 per liter.....bill
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
turley, you might try putting teflon tape on the valve stem before putting the sensors on. Just one layer thick is all you need. It helps keep the sensors on and prevent minor leaks. I have done mine this way since day one.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote