Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
rv covers

Hi, I need help ,does anyone out there use a rv cover for the monty? if so which brand ,or is it a waste of money. thanks.......

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I think I can answer that. I have one and its an Adco cover. Very nice piece, and it works well. It breaths well, it has done me good, but I will give you a heads up from there. This subject has been covered many times in here. I was pro cover for the last 2 winters. But after hearing the stories in here, the possibilities of damage from the cover, and Dicor (the rubber roof company) recommending not to cover, mine is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. To many MOC'ers have gave good reason to not use them. There is a wealth of info on this site, and a lot of money saving statements. They been there, done that type of thing.

Like I said I had no issues while I used mine, but thinking I just got lucky. Sure there will be more coming along with there thoughts also.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
By the way........ I have a cover for sale
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh-oh Bear. This has been discussed many times. You might try the search function and hopefully find other posted topics.

You will find that it will depend on what you are looking for. To me, living in the dryer deserts of the U.S. I don't use a cover because the winds around here just tear them up. For some, they don't mind replacing them every year or two because like they don't have to wash their rig as often, but I'd rather spend my money on other things.

If you have lots of trees nearby you might want to consider them, because all kinds of things can drop down and make a mess. But others find it's easier to sweep the leaves and mess off the roof rather than off the cover.

Hopefully others will come along and provide other instances for and against.

Since I don't own one, I will not comment on the brand except to say whatever you pick, it should fit snug (not tight) because any flapping will cause the cover to tear, AND then damage the rig. I have seen that loose fitting covers have caused ugly marks and wear on RVs. It MUST also be constructed of breathable fabric, NOT plastic. You never want any kind of plastic against the RV body because it can stick and cause worse damage.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
As Art suggests, use the search. Some swear by them, some swear at them.

FWIW, our trailer is nekkid all year long.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I thought about one, then opted for covered storage. Out of the weather, plus I can work on it when necessary without any trouble...plus I have power.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours has never been covered and it's 9 1/2 years old. Sure it has some oxidation, but it doesn't have any "rubbed" spots that some have found due to a cover.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
We own one. I put it on twice before I decided it wasn't worth the risk of being blown off the top of the rig.

In even the slightest wind it acts like a sail, and it's slippery!
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote