Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Here at the Q circle, we went around and adjusted everyone's trailer brakes, and we used the very same method that LonneB uses for jacking. We had no issues.

....and yes, the Quartzsite MOC rally is still going strong with 10 helpful participants, and more coming tomorrow!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I'm a by the book guy. If the book, written my some smart phd engineers, backed by a warranty, say to jack the frame, that's what I'm doing.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We just replaced all five OEM Mission tires on our late 2006 3400RL. I jacked up the front axle, removed the wheels, had the tires replaced with new ones and remounted the wheels. Then repeated the same process on the back axle with two jacks at the point where the two "U" bolts wrap around the axle. Had no problem and did not see anything that would cause concern lifting it at this point. As I recall had to use two 2 x 4 blocks for spacers. 3". This was done with the slides out and while we were living in it.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
When I rotate tires, I use 2 jacks at one time, one on each axle area (same side) as close to the u bolts as I can get them. Jack each a little at a time until both wheels just clear the ground and no more. You don't need to rotate side to side. Works well. Weight is on 2 jacks instead of one. Dropping the front legs to get the tires off the ground and then whatever is very unsettling to me..........
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
billhoover wrote
Quote:
quote: I'm a by the book guy. If the book, written my some smart phd engineers, backed by a warranty, say to jack the frame, that's what I'm doing.
Most of the time I would agree with this statement, but not this time. These are the same smart phd engineers that designed the frames with all the flex problems, the pin box supports that have been known to be weak, and the spring hangers that have been known to break. They are also the ones that decided to put axles under some models that weren't adequate for the weight they were carrying.

When it comes to jack placement, I will rely on common sense, and years of experience with several hundred trailers which, (IMHO) trumps these engineers with their phd's.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #26
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I am a firm believer that there is a place for formal schooling, and then there is a place for the "School of Hard Knocks" (experience). This is a time that experience takes precedence as indicated by Lonnie above. There is a lot of stuff riding on top of that frame that doesn't take flexing too well - why introduce such when we can prevent it so easily and safely?

My 2 cents worth anyway....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skypilot

I am a firm believer that there is a place for formal schooling, and then there is a place for the "School of Hard Knocks" (experience). This is a time that experience takes precedence as indicated by Lonnie above. There is a lot of stuff riding on top of that frame that doesn't take flexing too well - why introduce such when we can prevent it so easily and safely?

My 2 cents worth anyway....
Doing it differently than the manuals say is fine...and you can bad mouth the engineers all you want, but the bottom line is that if you do it differently and break something, forget the warranty.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote