Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My Warranty Was Not Voided

My '04 F-350 has a problem missing occasionally at crusing speed. It most occurred when I would reach the top of a grade and the TV was just about to shift into O/D. It also missed when crusing on Cruise/Control around 60 - 65 mph. I had an "Edge Juice Platinum/Attitude" previously installed (which the dealer knew about). To isolate the problem, I had the Edge removed and sent back to the Edge factory to be checked. Then I took the T/V to my Ford dealer to have them check it out.

Without the Edge, the T/V still missed. The mech there changed several sensors, swapped out the PCM (then re-installed the original), and even when to Ford Technical Assistance to get help. Ford Tech gave no help. The mech is currently changing both back pressure control valves (left and right side). All this is being done under warranty.

Bottom line. Ford CANNOT simply void a warranty because of aftermarket add-ons. They have to show that the "failure" was directly caused by other than OEM equipment. Any local dealer who attempts to enforce a local policy as being a FOMOCO policy is setting himself up for some legal problems. A dealer who says that putting a Banks System in your truck voids your warranty needs to be counseled by the Ford Regional Representative.

Just my opinion and like "elbows" most everyone has one.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

My '04 F-350 has a problem missing occasionally at crusing speed. It most occurred when I would reach the top of a grade and the TV was just about to shift into O/D. It also missed when crusing on Cruise/Control around 60 - 65 mph. I had an "Edge Juice Platinum/Attitude" previously installed (which the dealer knew about). To isolate the problem, I had the Edge removed and sent back to the Edge factory to be checked. Then I took the T/V to my Ford dealer to have them check it out.

Without the Edge, the T/V still missed. The mech there changed several sensors, swapped out the PCM (then re-installed the original), and even when to Ford Technical Assistance to get help. Ford Tech gave no help. The mech is currently changing both back pressure control valves (left and right side). All this is being done under warranty.

Bottom line. Ford CANNOT simply void a warranty because of aftermarket add-ons. They have to show that the "failure" was directly caused by other than OEM equipment. Any local dealer who attempts to enforce a local policy as being a FOMOCO policy is setting himself up for some legal problems. A dealer who says that putting a Banks System in your truck voids your warranty needs to be counseled by the Ford Regional Representative.

Just my opinion and like "elbows" most everyone has one.
It's what I've been trying to say over and over! As I said in another thread about this, my warranty wasn't voided and I went into a Ford dealership with the entire Banks Power Pack installed; I didn't disconnect or remove anything. With the Banks Exhaust brake installed, when they wanted to run a diagnostic check on the tranny, all they had to do was insert a jumper plug which I supplied.

Those who were told that they had voided their warranty were told that because the dealer didn't want to do warranty work; they wanted full price for the repairs.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
I agree with the above posts, we share the same opinion. No dealer can void an entire warranty due to performance parts. If I run a programmer or such and my radio quits working or my power window stops they better be in there fixing it, period. However I am not an advocate of running a tune that exceeds the trucks capabilities then taking it in and whining when its broke to have it fixed under warranty either.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It is not the dealership that authorizes the work, it is the manufacturer...

Like Rick said, if you go in to have a window or radio fixed under warranty, obviously GM, Ford, or Dodge is not going to say no because of an Banks power pack engine modification added. If it was an engine part that failed or any part in the drive line, I could see where the manufacturer has the right to not cover the cost... You and only you can decide if the "modification" is worth the chance of your warranty not covering a part.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I remain neutral on performance mods and I don't buy them myself. Warranty issues can also be caused by a dealer that is just getting by on cash flow. Warranty work takes a long time to get paid and most service shops make the customer pay before the vehicle is released.

One of the reasons I dislike the 6.0 so much is when my 04 packed it in, was towed to the dealer for a faulty EGR, the tech that worked on my truck wanted to replace the turbo because he saw wear on the vanes. Ford refused because the 03 and 04 6.0s were swamping Ford with warranty costs. My 95 and 2000 7.3s had been flawless and Ford did not need excuses to void warranty work. The sick-0 changed all that and it was definately planned to go beyond it's sorry 4 year run. Emission requirements are known years in advance and Ford could have made the 6.0 comply if they wanted. Now they say the 6.0 was replaced for emissions to save face. Nothing else.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have no emotional opinion on whether to chip or not. I feel that's a personal decision. Like all other decision, one must weigh the pros and cons, the benefits and risks, and make a decision they are comfortable with.

I had a Banks system on a Ford gas engine once. It was out of warranty so I had no "opportunity" to test whether Ford would honor the warranty.

What bothers me is that should Ford (or any mfr) decide the problem is because of the Banks and thus deny warranty, it will be up to me to disprove them. And it will cost me to do that, possibly more than the repair itself would have cost. I know Banks says they will stand behind you. But to what extent? Will they pick up the entire bill? Am I willing to risk that they will? I don't have unlimited resources, so, no, I'm not. Others will be willing to take that risk and pay the piper should it happen. But I don't see me taking that risk when I really don't need any more power. It's always nice to have more, but it's not necessary and not something I can justify. For me. Not for anyone else.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I have a Super Chip Tuner for my 99 7.3. The cam sensor went south under warranty and my Ford dealer didn't bat an eye over it. He did request that I set the computer back to stock settings which I did right in his shop. They even looked it over and checked the computer for error codes with it. I like this unit but I NEVER try to talk anyone else into using one. I don't want anybody to run into warranty problems and have it blamed on the tuner that I recomended.
Just my 2 cents worth.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The fellow that was going to void my trans. warrantee was the Ford Factory District Service Manager. Not the dealership. And if these guys say no, it is no. Can you take them to court & win a case proving that an aftermarket install did not cause a problem, yes. After you pay for your truck repair out of pocket, hire an Attn. and go through the court system. Costs totalling more than the repair.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I can only add my .02 based on my 03 and 04 6.0L experiences. Went to an RV show where I saw the AFE air filters. Dealer had already recommended K&M (when they came out with one) so I called the Service Manager and asked. Said to buy it and they'd install it. Well, a week later truck goes to shop for routine LOF and install the AFE filter. Shop manager said to hold because Ford was already denying claims on Turbos and other items that they had recommended. Even went so far as calling customers in who had had super chips installed, by the dealer, and removing them / returning the vehicles to stock. I met the regional 'engineer' and manager on several occassions in my dealings with the 03 and then the 04, and had them ask me questions such as what tuner I ran (run) (none ever); what fuel additives did I use (several different ones); speeds that I downshifted from (both vehicles were automatics?????), etc.... I still have the air filter element in its box (no longer have a Ford because of the way region was looking at warranty issues and the way I felt I was being treated when the POS engine had a problem). Anything at all non-stock and they would deny the warranty repair. Dealer was on the up and up on this with his customers; worked with several other buyers when they had warranty issues denied because of stuff they (the dealer) had sold and / or installed for them. Now, my Dodge dealer is doing the same thing -- I want to install a gage set (primarily EGT) but have been told several times by three different dealers in the area that if I do install such, to expect Dodge to deny any engine warranty claim -- they are being instructed by 'star' to go over the engine compartment 'with a fine tooth comb' looking for velcro or anything else indicating a tuner or such was installed. I just want the EGT to monitor my STOCK vehicle's performance when pulling my 5th wheel. Sorry for my rant but having first hand experience where regional managers made me feel like I had done something wrong just......well, lets say I get a little torqued. Now, people running these add-ons, then removing them to hide the issue and get warranty work is just plain wrong -- to me that is tatamount to theft of services but I digress.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
When in doubt, check to book... mods don't void the warranty, however, dealers can deny sevice claims against the warranty if they believe the modification "caused" the failure. Disagree with the dealer's claim; good luck with that... All vehicles have a documented policy regarding this. For example my Ford...

The '06 Ford Warranty Book states:
Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a
certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for offroad use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performanceenhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote