Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
NEW Keystone 5th wheel--Arcadia

Keystone has just introduced a new line of 5th wheels. It looks great. I hope some of the changes are introduced into our Montanas.

https://camperreport.com/new-keyston...ts-high-marks/

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Wonder if it is a replacement for Cougar??
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Keystone “Luxury series” contains Montana, High Country, etc. The “Premium series” contains Arcadia, Cougar, etc. And the “ Comfort series” contains Hideout, Springdale, etc. So it appears the Arcadia will be in the mid price range units.

It will be produced in a 3/4 ton series and a 1/2 ton series. Be interesting to see the weights. .
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just watched the video on the Keystone site, and it doesn't impress me. Looks to be a much lighter rig, especially if they are calling these rigs 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton models. Hope they do better than the one shown with the floor material in the slides curled up in places with the slides out and the shelves in a closet that won't keep things in place while rolling down the road. I'm thinking the Cougar would be a major upgrade from one of these, if that is the market they are aiming for.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Zilos6
Established Member

M.O.C. #27709
I watched a few walkthrough videos last night and wasn't impressed. I understand the demographic and size they are going for, but like a previous poster said, a Cougar is much better than these.
Zilos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you are a full timer or a high end user you look at a Rv much differently than a weekender.

Not a bad Rv and layout .It would be good for the low end user/ weekend Rver. We now have the 2013 3402 and previously the 08 3400. we did over 125 K miles on them combined. I don't think the Arcadia would be suitable for that kind of travel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It's using a 10 I Beam vs the 12 I Beam used in the Montana, don't know what the High Country uses.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
This rig will be down from the Montana but look at some of the new ideas that they are putting into this rig.
Personally I like the whiteness of the rig and the flooring which seems to becoming more of a standard.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
For me I'd need to see in person to get a better feel. Guessing it is not as tall as my 373RD and smaller basement would be tough to get use to.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
At least a couple of years ago, the HC and (older) Mountaineer had 10 inch beams. I think for the HC, that helped hold the weight down a bit.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #11
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
They had a couple at the RV Show in Tampa this week and I gave them a look. They seem much like the Cougar price point, not a Montana, but nice for the price they are asking. What I was most interested in seeing was the new floor material and it felt great. This is the one with a couple of inches of foam with a waterproof top laminate and a water porous lower laminate. Well it felt sold with no chance of water damage... nice.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Personally I wish Keystone would have taken the time and effort they are putting into the "new" model and spent that on the existing products. I get the fact they may be reaching a new customer with this model but let's face it, they already make a bunch of different products to fit need.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Keystone fan and we have owned three of them for the past 14 years. I think their line of products rate better than many other brands out there. I also realize RVs are still built by hand one at a time and things can happen during the build process that will cause the end user a bunch of headache.

I wish Keystone would be more involved in good ole fashioned "quality control". There are just too may things in the Keystone line that should never cause the end user an issue in the first year of ownership. I read this and other forums and am involved in numerous groups on social media. I see way too many issues people are having with new rigs in the first year.

I know many of you will say it's not Keystone but it's the vendor products. That may be true for a water heater or a fridge. So Keystone should use a different vendor if their product has too many failures. But it's not just vendor products, it's also QC of the materials and finishes. There are just way too many stories of trim not fitting well or popping off. Too many doors that don't close. Too many compartments that leak around the seal. Too many rips in that lovely darco! Too many sinks or toilets that leak. Too many slides or windows that leak. And we all know water is an RV'ers enemy. The sad part is most of these items are a problem because of the methods they were installed and that's it.

I know Mootana is on here frequently and I know he cares deeply about the Montana line and the end user satisfaction. He has even helped me out on a warranty item and Keystone stepped up to help. My challenge for him and Keystone is to make major improvements on the lines you are building. Take a survey of the problems that happen over and over and then evaluate how to solve those problems. New slides and windows should never leak and darco is a bad idea on any unit! That's my honest opinion.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
Personally I wish Keystone would have taken the time and effort they are putting into the "new" model and spent that on the existing products. I get the fact they may be reaching a new customer with this model but let's face it, they already make a bunch of different products to fit need.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Keystone fan and we have owned three of them for the past 14 years. I think their line of products rate better than many other brands out there. I also realize RVs are still built by hand one at a time and things can happen during the build process that will cause the end user a bunch of headache.

I wish Keystone would be more involved in good ole fashioned "quality control". There are just too may things in the Keystone line that should never cause the end user an issue in the first year of ownership. I read this and other forums and am involved in numerous groups on social media. I see way too many issues people are having with new rigs in the first year.

I know many of you will say it's not Keystone but it's the vendor products. That may be true for a water heater or a fridge. So Keystone should use a different vendor if their product has too many failures. But it's not just vendor products, it's also QC of the materials and finishes. There are just way too many stories of trim not fitting well or popping off. Too many doors that don't close. Too many compartments that leak around the seal. Too many rips in that lovely darco! Too many sinks or toilets that leak. Too many slides or windows that leak. And we all know water is an RV'ers enemy. The sad part is most of these items are a problem because of the methods they were installed and that's it.

I know Mootana is on here frequently and I know he cares deeply about the Montana line and the end user satisfaction. He has even helped me out on a warranty item and Keystone stepped up to help. My challenge for him and Keystone is to make major improvements on the lines you are building. Take a survey of the problems that happen over and over and then evaluate how to solve those problems. New slides and windows should never leak and darco is a bad idea on any unit! That's my honest opinion.
Points taken! We are and will continue to strive to build our customers better product.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootana View Post
Points taken! We are and will continue to strive to build our customers better product.
Thanks Sam,
A well known competitor markets that they have a separate QC building and process to catch more issues before units are shipped to dealers. I don't have experience with that brand, so cannot comment on whether their strategy actually results in higher quality or less warranty claims.

I do know there are always a lot of conflicting constraints in the RV business, but I'm curious your thoughts on that, Sam?

Thanks!
Brad
Old 01-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I would like to see in a 5er is an RL about 30 feet without a sofa in the back and 3 slides at about 8000 pounds.
Please
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #16
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I'm gonna save judgement until I can step foot in one. I like some of the selling points, but want to try and let the in person experience decide if I like it or not.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #17
Alainle

M.O.C. #25337
Well said !
Alainle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Thanks Sam,
A well known competitor markets that they have a separate QC building and process to catch more issues before units are shipped to dealers. I don't have experience with that brand, so cannot comment on whether their strategy actually results in higher quality or less warranty claims.

I do know there are always a lot of conflicting constraints in the RV business, but I'm curious your thoughts on that, Sam?

Thanks!
Brad
All Keystone brands run through separate PDI buildings. Rigs come offline, are pulled through the PDI building and then go back to the plant for a final inspection or repair. I believe there are three different PDI buildings that service specific product. As a former customer service guy, I'd say it helps quality. Having multiple eyes on a rig is rarely a bad thing.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #19
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
All Keystone brands run through separate PDI buildings. Rigs come offline, are pulled through the PDI building and then go back to the plant for a final inspection or repair. I believe there are three different PDI buildings that service specific product. As a former customer service guy, I'd say it helps quality. Having multiple eyes on a rig is rarely a bad thing.
Thanks, I appreciate knowing this!

Brad
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #20
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
I don't doubt that they go through some sort of inspection. My opinion is that it is inadequate based upon personal experience. We've all heard the gripes but little is done at the factory level to improve. Our points are taken but not necessarily acted upon. It's all about the dollar.