Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #41
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Unfortunately there is not a upgrade program for the monitor.
Sorry, but I do have the new model in stock if you’re interested.
Thanks

Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #42
55 BelAir Wagon

M.O.C. #26771
TPMS Questions

I'm getting my equipment figured out for the start to my 'Great Adventure' of 5th Wheeling. Based on suggestions in this post, I'm planning on getting a TST 507 system. My trailer (Montana 3121RL) needs four sensors, which the basic TST comes with. My truck (2015 F-250) has the factory TPMS, which doesn't give the actual pressures, but just alerts for low pressure (not sure when). Is it necessary to add four sensors ($$$) to the truck, or will the factory system be sufficient? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
John
55 BelAir Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #43
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Id leave the truck be as it will warn you already, and just go with the ones for the trailer.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never lost a signal with the TST 507 and we do not use a repeater. That is 14 years and two Montana's . We are 53 feet long truck and Montana. We do keep the monitor up high so that the antenna is visible through the windshield.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 BelAir Wagon View Post
I'm getting my equipment figured out for the start to my 'Great Adventure' of 5th Wheeling. Based on suggestions in this post, I'm planning on getting a TST 507 system. My trailer (Montana 3121RL) needs four sensors, which the basic TST comes with. My truck (2015 F-250) has the factory TPMS, which doesn't give the actual pressures, but just alerts for low pressure (not sure when). Is it necessary to add four sensors ($$$) to the truck, or will the factory system be sufficient? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,
John

I would suggest the non flow thru sensors . IMO the flow thru are a bit bulky ,and stick out further then I like. If you need to inflate, or deflate ,the non flow thru are not an issue to remove. Otherwise they don't have to be removed . I turn on my monitor, let it boot up, and see if all the tires are still inflated properly, and set to go. No need to check with a gauge.

Also with the flow thru I believe they do require steel valve stems because of their size. Although a lot of us do have the steel valve stems running the G rated tires .

To answer your question , I wouldn't worry about additional sensors for the truck, you already have a low pressure warning on them . My truck just tells me what my pressures are, no warning on the 3500 Rams, the 2500 Rams have the low pressure warning. I take a look at the screen to see what the truck pressures are, if okay I'm good to go. My thinking with a sudden blowout non of these sensors are any good, so with the truck I am not too worried . I can check pressures periodically if worried. The only concern is a slow leak, and you will have a warning on the truck.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #46
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
[QUOTE=55 BelAir Wagon;1194133]I'm getting my equipment figured out for the start to my 'Great Adventure' of 5th Wheeling. Based on suggestions in this post, I'm planning on getting a TST 507 system. My trailer (Montana 3121RL) needs four sensors, which the basic TST comes with. My truck (2015 F-250) has the factory TPMS, which doesn't give the actual pressures, but just alerts for low pressure (not sure when). Is it necessary to add four sensors ($$$) to the truck, or will the factory system be sufficient? Any thoughts are appreciated./QUOTE]

All kinds of things can cause tire problems, with all that weight on the back tires, I have them on all 10 as I want to know if the truck tires are heating up as well, not cheep but niter is the damage caused by a blowout.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #47
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
A few thoughts about some of the discussions;

I have the TST 507 system. It was the older model with the black/white? screen that I had for years and was near impossible to see in the daylight. Received my new color monitor day before yesterday and went out yesterday evening to set it up. I just left the sensors on the tires although it said to remove them and it worked fine. I tried turning it so the sun was shining into it and seemed much brighter. I'll get it in my truck and see what it looks like but seems to be much better than the older one.

I mounted my repeater in the front compartment right above the batteries and just connect/disconnect when we travel. Has worked flawlessly. Previously my right rear tire would drop out about once each travel day.

To 55 Bel Aire's question of adding sensors to the truck, IMO opinion I would. The little yellow low tire alert is OK but really non informative to me. It could be down 2 lbs. or flat - and which one you don't know. My previous trucks had actual pressures for each tire and a little warning light comes on if one is low. With the individual pressures I know which one and how much. Adding the TST system with the color monitor will be great but for added safety and comfort I would just get the 4 additional sensors when equipping the trailer.

I've had really good luck with these guys:

https://www.technorv.com/tst-cap-sys...to-12-sensors/

The additional sensors are a little spendy but they should last a long time. Proration over several years makes it very worthwhile IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #48
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
I installed TST 507 Last night after agonizing over the factory option from Ford.

So far I am impressed— specifically the ability to add an additional three trailers (which I will do).

Not having cables and it’s tidy compact size are all pluses at the moment.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #49
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have never lost a signal with the TST 507 and we do not use a repeater. That is 14 years and two Montana's . We are 53 feet long truck and Montana. We do keep the monitor up high so that the antenna is visible through the windshield.
That's not like mine. Our 507 came with the repeater and I did not install it. The display is on top of the truck dash and some of the 5r wheels would sometimes loose connection. I finally installed the repeater with a switch high above the battery enclosure in the geny room. all good all the time.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #50
214skier
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26580
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
That's not like mine. Our 507 came with the repeater and I did not install it. The display is on top of the truck dash and some of the 5r wheels would sometimes loose connection. I finally installed the repeater with a switch high above the battery enclosure in the geny room. all good all the time.
The TST 507 will connect to up to three additional trailers. I am anxious to do this for the boat, horse and dump trailers. All (obviously) much shorter than our 41' 5er... so I am hoping I can order caps and not use an additional repeater.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #51
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Just wanted to provide a little update;

For those considering upgrading from the older, non color monitors to the new color ones as I just did I found out today you need to have a repeater. My old unit did really well on the bumper pulls with an occasional drop out without the repeater. I installed the repeater due to that and it cured it.

Today I had to take the MHC to the dealer; at trip of about 60 miles. I did not turn on the repeater just to see what the new monitor would do without it.....nothing! It lights up and cycles tires but never got a pressure from any of them - I was really surprised. I called TST after I dropped the trailer off and they said they would have thought it would pick up a sensor or 2 but yes "the sensor in the new color monitor is not as sensitive as the one in the older monitors and DOES require a repeater to operate without issues".

I know some folks run the older units without a repeater and they work fine. Just wanted to make sure anyone in that situation and contemplating the upgrade knew there would be an additional expense.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:45 AM   #52
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
For all the TST 507 users out there...how long do your batteries last in your sensors? Do you remove the sensors when you are parked for a period of time and if so, how long a period when you decide to remove?

Thanks,

New TST user (Color large screen, repeater, 507 FL sensors.
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #53
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
John,

My sensors always stay on the rig. I have had my TST for 2.5 years and have yet to change batteries. Plan to do so before our summer trip.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:36 AM   #54
chapman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10801
Took mine off after a year of false readings , a lot of problems with the batteries not making contact so there was no readings. Yes I have the signal booster. Would not recommend them.
chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #55
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
John,

My sensors always stay on the rig. I have had my TST for 2.5 years and have yet to change batteries. Plan to do so before our summer trip.
Have been curious about mine also , they have been on the trailer going on two years . I bought new batteries last spring just in case I started seeing a problem, but they seemed fine all summer ,and fall. I did pull the battery on one of the sensors just out of curiosity ,and checked the voltage ,and it was good after a year .

My fifth wheel sits all winter , I cover the tires , so the sensors are not exposed too much to the elements . I have considered taking them off ,and putting them inside, but they are designed for the elements , so sitting in the cold covered cannot be very harmful. I am sure the cold doesn't do the batteries any good ,but I am not too concerned ,they will get replaced for sure this spring .
Old 01-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #56
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman View Post
Took mine off after a year of false readings , a lot of problems with the batteries not making contact so there was no readings. Yes I have the signal booster. Would not recommend them.

Would not recommend the TST 507 ??? Its usually the other way around , the 507 is the one recommended .
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #57
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
John,

After reading the manual a little further ,it recommends removing the sensors from the tires to prolong the battery life . when removed it shuts the batteries off .
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #58
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Have had two others and would only recommend the 507. Have had batteries in all 10 sensors for a year and a half now with no issues but will change them on March before we leave just to make sure a battery does not corrode a sensor since they cost so much and batteries are so cheep.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #59
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have the 507s. Probably 7-8 years old. I got a new monitor and the repeater as my right rear also dropped every couple of days (or weeks!). I think I have changed batteries once on all of them and a 2nd time on one, but I am not sure it needed it.
FYI One thing on the old ones, when you pull in somewhere and someone else in the area has the new ones running, I will get things like 500 PSI or such. I researched and called TST and they said the old monitor has trouble with the new ones and reports strange readings. It is no big deal now that I know about it.. Only happens when others are close by like campsites, etc. I think maybe it happened once at a rest stop too.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #60
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Like many, mine are always on. Change the batteries every 2 years but keep spares with the display. I leave the repeater on mostly by accident as I have it wired thru a switch. Since the batteries are Panasonic Lithiums, I would not worry about leakage nor cold weather. I've never had a coin Lithium leak. That's interesting about a neighbor effecting your receiver.