Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #41
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
This is especially true with the newer STOCK trucks. I'm really concerned that our 2020 Chevy 1 ton is going to put us close to 13'6"...
Good Point, My original measurements was with our 2011 F350 that I traded in a month ago for a new Ram 3500, it will be interesting to see the difference. Our 5er has been in the shop for 3 months now and looks like we will get her back next week. I will re-measure next week and post the comparison.

Having air bags and the Andersen hitch which is easy to adjust height I should be able to adjust my posture for the lowest elevation. Those will be quick easy adjustments I can do before I approach low clearance and I will be able to predetermine and document my clearance options and adjustments.

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #42
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
For what it's worth, we stayed at the KOA in Whitefish in August of 2018 and it was quite decent. More of a woodsy campground with elevation changes and disconnected sites, but it didn't have that parking lot feel, which was nice.

I took my 2018 3950BR through there with no issue. It's probably a bit further from the park than the place you're going, but my Monty made it out without causing panic.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #43
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
When we were traveling in New Brunswich, we were on the road to the campground. After about a mile or 2, we approach a 10-6" bridge. Now stuck with no turn around we sit. A motorist came and said go to the next house on left and cut across his yard to the main highway. Lucky for us he was knowledgeable of the area.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #44
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
With the curve like you said if you go through the center it's probably closer to 14' but I wouldn't rely on that especially when they normally put the sign at the lowest point which appears to be close to center. Also if the road has been paved recently it may be off too. We visit Montana quite often and will be going to Glacier this spring/summer. If we get a chance we'll take this route because it's next to the guide lodge. We didn't have our trailer on the last time we went through this area. You can call MDOT too and see if you can get updated numbers or if you have Google Earth pro I believe you can use it to do vertical measurements. However it's on the ragged edge of any of us taking a chance on going under. If your coming in from Hwy 2 you can back out of this quite easily.
drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #45
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
My opinion. Last June, we stayed at Rocky Mountain High campground, near Kalispell, MT. It's reasonably priced and very nice. Yes, it was 20 - 30 miles to Glacier NP, but that was no big deal. Stayed 8 days. Stayed there 3 years prior to that.

Be easy on yourself. 😊

Remove the stress from your life and enjoy the park even if it costs a few bucks.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #46
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
I hope this doesn't post twice. I tried to reply and it appears it didn't send.

My opinion. I know the bridge well. We were there last June.

We stayed at Rocky Mountain Hi campground near Kalispell, MT. Lovely park. Twenty to 30 mile drive to the park was enjoyable. Quit worrying about air bags, inches of height, reservations, detours, and stay somewhere else. You're there to enjoy yourself. A few bucks don't matter. We enjoy Rocky Mountain Hi.

Problem solved. No stress. No charge for my counseling advice. 😊
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #47
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
3812 MS the a/c in back is lower. If semis go under that bridge, then so can you. I would go slow and listen. Just in case, but you would see all kinds of scratches if the height were any less than stated.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #48
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Just throwing gasoline on this... has anybody considered the idea that the road may have been resurfaced since the sign was placed there? Could be upto 3 inches of new asphalt on top of what was there when the sign was measured and installed. The sign could easily be out of date and not yet been corrected. The point is ...take nothing for granted.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #49
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
In our state the posted height is roughly 3 to 4 inches lower than the actual height (according to the Motor Carriers Road Atlas 2020). Not sure why that is, maybe for winter driving (snow load). Why don't you check with the Montana DOT to see if they have the actual clearance height. I'm sure if they have had some problems at that location they would be up to date with the actual height. We were up there a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly they were capping some sections of that road then. My garage opening is 14 feet and it is level going into the garage. I verified the garage opening height and parked the 5th wheel under it and measured the difference then did the math.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #50
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
Just realized my avatar photo is on that road a couple of years ago. We road the motorcycle from Iowa to the park. I didn't have the 381 at that time!
Old 02-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #51
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
http://youtu.be/wvsfuIP5Npc
Old 02-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #52
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
In our state the posted height is roughly 3 to 4 inches lower than the actual height (according to the Motor Carriers Road Atlas 2020). Not sure why that is, maybe for winter driving (snow load). Why don't you check with the Montana DOT to see if they have the actual clearance height. I'm sure if they have had some problems at that location they would be up to date with the actual height. We were up there a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly they were capping some sections of that road then. My garage opening is 14 feet and it is level going into the garage. I verified the garage opening height and parked the 5th wheel under it and measured the difference then did the math.
I ask the RV park about the DOT data, they not only confirm the posted height with them but it was also physically measured during the planning and permitting process of the RV park which is new, they were firm that the 13'6" was accurate and verified 3 times. However that is not to say they are not telling us about a couple extra inches that may exists so people do not try and get higher rigs under.

Since I have new Ram 3500 Tomorrow I pick up the 5er from the dealer (warranty work) I am taking the laser and 14' of PVC 1" pipe and measuring the height again. I was at 13'5" (Leveled with airbags at 60lbs) with our previous 2011 F350 will be interesting to see if the newer truck changes anything.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #53
Barzee

M.O.C. #23721
Most marked bridge heights in the US have a leeway of at least 6 inches, some states allow for 12 inches of leeway. You should measure the exact height of your unit to know exactly where you are.
Barzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #54
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
The 2020 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas indicates that the route is designated for vehicles with STAA authorized dimensions. I was past there last summer and saw many Class As, 5th-wheels, and large delivery trucks using the road and passing under without issue.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #55
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
If you zoom in with the google street view you can see that the arch is not the highest point. There are beams that are under the bridge that appear equidistant to the roadway all across and are lower that the arch. Zoom in and zoom up and you can see the marks left by some vehicles that were too high on those beams.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #56
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire5er View Post
The 2020 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas indicates that the route is designated for vehicles with STAA authorized dimensions. I was past there last summer and saw many Class As, 5th-wheels, and large delivery trucks using the road and passing under without issue.
That is where it gets tricky, Class A Motorhomes are almost all under 13', and it was not until 2016 that the 5er industry started building the 13'5" so all the pre 2016 5ers are well under. This is the only RV park on the other side of that bridge and it did not even open till last June. The other RV campground at the lake does not accommodate the longer RVs likely to have the 13'5". While commercial trucks do pass under it is mostly smaller semi's since there is not much commercial in the village other than gift shop, gas station and small grocery (this was per the RV park management).

It really is a shame that Montana did not design the height to be a few inches lower and not push the 13'6" threshold.

Pending on my measurements tomorrow I will likely attempt. I am going to also have the dealer acknowledge the height as well as I will be measuring at the dealer tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #57
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
If you zoom in with the google street view you can see that the arch is not the highest point. There are beams that are under the bridge that appear equidistant to the roadway all across and are lower that the arch. Zoom in and zoom up and you can see the marks left by some vehicles that were too high on those beams.
I saw that too however the road also dips under the bridge, so the lowest point is subjective.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #58
Building Memories
Established Member

M.O.C. #25251
Keep in mind that most roads are not flat - they are typically higher in the middle to aid water drainage off to either side unless you’re in a curve where it would be banked to help keep you on the road in the turn.
Building Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #59
Building Memories
Established Member

M.O.C. #25251
And repaving wil throw those measurements out the window. I doubt they remeasure and update that sign when they repave a roadway.
Building Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #60
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a 2013 Mountaineer and 2012 Silverado. My height at Goshen in 2014 was 13'5 inches I think. I know when I got the truck my truck bed was 2 inches higher than my 2004. Also, they raised the side walls an inch or more. So in order to have trailer clear the sidewalls, you can not lower the hitch height much.
So my older lower Montana went up to 13'3" I think (can't remember now!!).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote