Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

You're right Dave,

Thats what it might take to get the Monty down to the Desert..... An Ark.

J&D
Just don't get stuck on a mountain top, John. Happened to the last one...

Every time I pull up the regional weather forecasts for the mid section of the US, they continue to upgrade the severity of the ice/snow/winds. This could be a bad one.

We are not escaping this system here in Central FL either. They have just issued weather advisories for most of the state. High winds (putting my awning up tonight)/heavy rains/possible flooding/possible severe weather - including tornadoes - Sat night/Sun. The trailing edge of that bad weather system that is dumping all the snow on the stretch from OK to New England.

Hope everyone has plenty of propane and generators. And I sure hope no one has to travel in this stuff.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #22
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol: I guess I had better give you a report. A cold front is heading in today. The high will be around 65. The low tonight and tomorrow night is going to be in the 40's. Then back into the 70's.
I am trying hard to push that cold front back north but I don't know if I can keep it out until you get here.
KEEP WARM.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #23
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hey Carol,

If and when you make it out of the north, safe travels! I will be thinking of Al and you as you make the trip southward.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Snow has started here, went out to put the slides in, and cannot get the key in the lock. Al is out there now working on the lock. LOCKS!! GRRRRRRRR, those of you that know us, and have followed some of our posts may remember that we have already broken two door locks on this unit.

OKKK, gotta go help him. Stay safe people, this storm will a doozy!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Try a hair dryer. But I am sure you folks from the Northern climes know that.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:33 AM   #26
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ya, we had to take the hairdryer to latch/locks on the storage doors yesterday, and the long piano hinge on one of the storage doors. The storage door was not closing all the way, had ice in there too.

He used lock lubricant, got the one lock to function, I got the slides closed, and then I could not lock the other lock, so, he is back out there working on that one. Better now, not much snow yet, and not particularly cold or windy, and we are not on the road.

Never a dull moment, always an adventure and a challenge to your inner creativity, that is ownership of a RV!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #27
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Now there is an idea!!! As part of the "Artic Package", Keystone could install heated locks like Ford has heated mirrors and heated seats on my Truck. Carol, you are a genius!!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Right now, I think we would gladly pay for that upgrade!! We had to get the hairdryer out AGAIN!!!

It started snowing hard this AM, we went out, discovered the locks that would not unlock, got in, closed slides, came back in and danged if it did not stop snowing. So, we cleaned the driveway and opened Tana back up and loaded and reorganized and cleaned and organized more. Got all my books in, crafts, and all our clothes packed.

Started snowing again, so closed it back up (we have deterioriating slide toppers and are trying to keep moisture from freezing up there, may be an exercise in futility, but that is our story and we are sticking to it! )

So, we hooked Big Butt up, took the hair dryer to the electric tether cord between Tana and Big Butt to warm up a bit so we could get it in the plug. Did our pull test and all that. Theory is (ha ha, we will see if this was an error or a moment of brilliance) that Big Butt is hooked up, and we don't have to do that with a bunch of snow on the ground. One year we did it with ice, let me tell you that was INTERESTING!! NOT! Anyway, we are all hooked up, Al is still checking some things, I hear the air compressor running downstairs, not sure what that is all about!

So, now, we wait for the snow, and start watching the road conditions in Indiana and Illinois and Missouri and Arkansas. Most concerned bout Michigan and Indiana.

We still have to pack the things that will freeze, once we do that the heat stays on at 45.

Winterize the house, pack up the plants and dogs, and up up and away!

Sounds like a plan, now, lets see how it plays out!

Oh, and we had to use the hair dryer again on the locks to the storage doors. SIGHHH
Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #29
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Why not get a battery powered hairdryer and wear it in a holster on your hip then you will be ready for any necessary thaw. You know, "quick draw thaw".

Ok, ok, seriously, be very careful and travel safe.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #30
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles, that is a great idea, maybe you could patent it!

Al put the bikes on the front of Big Butt,

Then he decided to check Tana's tires, discovered one that was 30 pounds shy, GULP. He pumped it up and now, we will see if it leaks again. (didn't I say, never a dull moment??)

Just checked the forecast, they have upped the anty a bit, now 8 to 12 inches and when the wind kicks in they are saying drifts up to 2 feet.

We be sitting here another day or so, eh???
Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well, you could try something like the old days. Get enough RVers to head south at the same time and you could "wagon train" it down to the RGV - just don't be in the lead...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #32
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Carol
I ain't saying nothin. Those that are dribbling in are beat from traveling. Just be careful. We will be waiting for you and AL.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #33
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Carol,

I am worn out just reading about what it is taking you to get ready to leave. How far is the Montana from the house? I got tired of walking back and forth from the house loading and unloading so I just put everything in the truck bed and have him back up as close to the door as possible. I got tired of walking 40 yds to and from with only what I could carry in my arms. Since you are hooked up already that won't work this time.

If you need a pit stop on the way and you are in our area you have a place to stay.

Be safe and take your time getting here.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #34
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

NOT far, from garage to Tana. Thankfully. We can only get her a bit closer by backing her right up to the garage, instead of in at an angle like she is now. This is MUCH better than where we used to park her!

We have been known to load up one of those hand push carts with several boxes, etc, and roll it out there.

They are still predicting blizzard conditions, but not to start for several more hours, and going well into tomorrow afternoon. If this baby really dumps what they are saying, I am not sure we can get ANYTHING out of here on Monday. This is when living 1.5 miles from the closest paved road will be a bad thing!! I had hoped the worst would be well under way by now and over by mid day Sunday, guess I hoped wrong! SNICKER.

Will all work out, I always say in my research and books, no good book before it's time (hey gets me outta trouble with my family who are waiting for THEIR book! ). So this time, it is no good trip before it's time! Ho Hum, keeps ya on your toes!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Carol, just stay put a few more days. Yesterday I had to pull a goose neck trailer about 125 miles in 4 wheel drive doing 35 to 40 and it was not fun. Middle of the week here in Kansas City it is supposed to be in the mid 50'S might be when you want to make a run for it. Through Kansas and Oklahoma, that is if it is good on your end. Good luck.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #36
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Mudchief

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful and appreciated. Our route does NOT include Kansas or OK, but, it is still good information, I take all at this juncture of travel, errrrrrrrrrr, non-travel.

We are white this AM, I believe I have about 6 inches of white on the ground, more coming and the blowing issue will continue for a long time.

They are saying "Blizzard Like" conditions. Pray tell, what is the difference between Blizzard Like and Blizzard??

I peaked out at Tana and Bigg Butt and the bikes, they look like a huge beached whale. Well, something!

I cannot see how we would be able to get out of here tomorrow, so, are hoping maybe Tuesday. But, not before it is safe.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #37
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carol and Al,

I've been following this thread with great interest. Not because it effects me but because I'm concerned about so many of you folks trying to drive in those terrible weather conditions. I am so glad to see you say, "But, not before it is safe." As badly as you may want to get out of there it is certainly not worth risking your health/life.

Safe travels and enjoy the warmer weather once you get to it.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #38
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

The last thing we say to each other as we pull out of the drive on ANY trip:

BE SAFE!! Lets not get hurt.

Things still happen, Stiles and Dianna are a good example, but we really think hard about being careful.

This year is being a bit more of a challenge, last week we had enough ice on the drive that we did not think it in our best interest to start loading. We did manage to get that all removed or melted, and did load things that will not freeze the last couple of days. We are doing things differently this year, that is ok, always interesting to see what alternative plans we can come up with!

Today, we are not even going outside! Silly to remove snow to have it blow back in 5 minutes. Snow removal will wait till the morning.

And, we have to check that tire, Al may have to take it off and take it to Adrian to have fixed. If so, that is gonna set us to more re-arranging of plans.

We will not attempt driving out of here, 3 miles on gravel roads, until we know they have been plowed.

So, we sit and we wait for SAFE travel times. I surely hope that others in the states that are getting hit with this early white Christmas are doing the same. Saw on the news this AM where an 18 wheeler slid off an entrance ramp to a local expressway. The local authorities are telling people to stay home, course, many don't heed and they are out and about. Then they slide off the roads, or do a lot of donuts. I'll stay away from them, thank you.

Stay safe MOCer's! Please drive carefully and wisely. Texas, or Florida or Arizona will still be there next week!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the weather for Northern Ohio up and check it every day just to remind ourselves why we are in Flordia.. Looks like High winds and drifting snow, blizzard conditions, for the next few days. YOu would have to drive through that. You guys hunker down and ride it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:35 AM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check Fort Wayne, Indiana, Rich, and Indianapolis and Effingham Illinois, that is our route.

I have not had the heart to check any of them this AM, not necessary anyway I guess, since we are stuck here for at least another 36 hours, give or take.

Heard from someone I knew living near Cleveland just this AM, they had 3 or 4 inches, some sleet, rain?? They were going out in it, did not think it was that bad. Now, we all know that even a few miles makes all the difference in these storms.

The wind has started in earnest, in just a hour or so we have drifts, look to be 18 inches to 2 foot already.

When does Winter officially start???