Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
Mopar_Mudder
Established Member

M.O.C. #29014
Pull rite Auto Slide to Sidewinder

I have a Ram Mega cab short bed dually and a 2017 3790rd. Currently I have the auto slide which works great and I never have to worry about turning too sharp.

But I have two small complaints about it. 1) it is really heavy to take in and out plus the adapter for the puck system. 2) you can't hook and unhook which out being almost straight to the trailer.

So has anyone made the switch to a sidewinder type pin box from the auto slider? I also don't really want to loose the cusion of the Moreride pin box.

Mopar_Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've towed over 120,000 miles with the Pullrite and wouldn't change. The weight is one of the things we like. In an accident we want the hitch to be strong enough to keep the rig off us in the cab.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have the Pull Rite also and it is heavy, and very reliable. I'm pretty sure the MorRyde pin box goes away if you decide to go to the Reese Sidewinder. https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/sidewinder
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #4
Maiben and Liz

M.O.C. #30194
I have a sidewinder and love it. Chev 2500HD and a 3160RL. I can turn as hard as I want and have no problems. This is the only fifth wheel I have had so I have nothing to compare with. We went a little overboard and bought the 20K lb rig just in case we were to ever up grade.
Maiben and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
Maiben and Liz

M.O.C. #30194
Yes it will have to go away
Maiben and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #6
Bradpact

M.O.C. #29655
I highly recommend the Reese Sidewinder with a short bed. Takes up no additional bed space. Can be used with most standard hitches. I also like to push the hitch to the side when parked. Ours is an older version 19.5k airborne sidewinder. From past experience - Sliders don’t help when in downtown traffic and pull rights are heavy and take up a lot of bed space. Good luck!
Bradpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
I have a Ram Mega cab short bed dually and a 2017 3790rd. Currently I have the auto slide which works great and I never have to worry about turning too sharp.

But I have two small complaints about it. 1) it is really heavy to take in and out plus the adapter for the puck system. 2) you can't hook and unhook which out being almost straight to the trailer.

So has anyone made the switch to a sidewinder type pin box from the auto slider? I also don't really want to loose the cusion of the Moreride pin box.
We made the switch a couple of years ago and really like the sidewinder. The pull rite took up a lot of room in the bed and when turned fully to the side the pinbox would hit the side rails of the truck.

The more ride only has front to back movement cushoning as the side to side is locked out with the pull rite adapter plate. The sidewinder we have is a fifthairborn so we still have the dampening as well as the turret. Anyway, not going back to the swivel type hitch.

JMO
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote