Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
webbhead64
Established Member

M.O.C. #27075
Post AntiFreeze in Residential Fridge Ice Maker or Not?

Hello:

I've searched the forum many times, and get conflicting opinions on adding antifreeze to the Residential refrigerator ice maker, or not, when winterizing.

The dealer told me "Yes, you want to do that". I'm pretty clear on how to go about that, so no problem there.

The question or concern I have is, the Keystone owners manual specifically states "The ice maker water line should not be winterized with antifreeze. Simply drain the line along with the rest of the
water lines when preparing for the cold weather months, but do not add antifreeze."

This seems to contradict dealer and many other owner's opinion.

So, what are your thougths? Antifreeze or no antifreeze? Why would Keystone say "NO"?

Thanks for the help.

webbhead64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
have had two different rigs with residential refrigerators. I have not used RV antifreeze ever. I blow out my lines and remove the ice maker valve from the back of the unit. With the Minnesota temps I have not had an issue.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I just take our unit to warmer climate as our last two units has never been winterized. Prior to retirement I used the air pressure method to clear water from all the lines.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've heard of some people who have put antifreeze through the ice maker and it took a really long time to get that out of there in the spring. I switched mine over to use bottled water on the inside and shut off the water under the rig so I don't have to worry about it, but if it were me, I wouldn't put it in there. Mine has a drain line under the slide where the fridge is, so it's easy to get the water out of the line anyway.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
The drain line under the trailer will remove water BEFORE the dual water solenoid valve.
(solenoid for 1-ice maker --2-water in door or inside frige)
BUT--their will be water after the solenoid and that water unless blown out can break apart the solenoid valve during freeze...

I have a residential fridge with the water solenoid not accessible on the right back side....This year i will either remove and do away with ice maker (don't trust campground water ) or will remover the water valve and install to the back of the cabinet left of the fridge where it will be accessible for winter removal.

Some montanas have a rear panel on that cabinet that is easily removed for and additional water supply valve...

in any case adding antifreeze to an ice maker is out of the question ....

put a tiny bit if antifreeze in you water heater and see how long it takes before you stop smelling (or tasting )antifreeze in the shower....that would be worse in an ice maker....IMHO
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I put a 4 gallon bottled water supply with pump in the lower cabinet to the left of our refrigerator for the ice maker. When winterizing, I just remove the water and manually cycle the ice maker a few times to purge any water in the line. Haven't had a problem yet and been down to 5 below outside.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I put a 4 gallon bottled water supply with pump in the lower cabinet to the left of our refrigerator for the ice maker. When winterizing, I just remove the water and manually cycle the ice maker a few times to purge any water in the line. Haven't had a problem yet and been down to 5 below outside.
Exactly. Shut off the water supply under the sink, remove cap on drain line & manually cycle the ice maker a few times. Water will drain out the drain line. Put the cap back on loosely or use a rubber glove with a rubber band to hold it on so that any residual water can drain & has room to expand if it freezes.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
ForBruce, take a look at what I did with a water bottle and pump.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ed+water+maker
It cost around $70.00 and I don't have to worry about dirty water at the campground ever again. It was pretty easy to do, only took about 10 minutes once I got the pump from Amazon.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I remove the valve and store it in the house and let the line on the refrigerator drain. I blow the water feed line out when I do the rest on the rig. Have done this on 3 different rigs over the years with no issues.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote