Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #41
Silverado Sam
Established Member

M.O.C. #17348
Pressure type propane indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpchiar View Post
If pressure gauges don't work why are gauges installed on permanently installed tanks on motor homes? As the liquid level is reduced the cubic area in the tank increases thus allowing the pressure of the gas to reduce thus indicating that the liquid volume is less.
The propane in the tank is always at the boiling point inside the tank. As the liquid level goes down more propane boils off to maintain a constant pressure. Therefor, the pressure gage won't show low level until almost all of the liquid propane has boiled off leaving only gas which decreases in pressure very quickly.That's why when it shows low, you better change tanks right away.

Permanently installed tanks dont have pressure type level indicators, they have an actual float that measures liquid level.

Silverado Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #42
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
A quick question to better understand. If you have two full bottles of propane and mount them at the same time. You turn the switch to the left bottle but open the right bottle first. Which bottle empties first? I’m sure the indicator will be showing red.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #43
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It will draw from the right tank (the only possible supply) and the gauge will be red. As soon as you open the left tank, the regulator will draw from it and also turn the regulator flag to green. When the left tank runs out, the regulator automatically shifts to the right tank and turns the regulator flag red.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #44
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
It will draw from the right tank (the only possible supply) and the gauge will be red. As soon as you open the left tank, the regulator will draw from it and also turn the regulator flag to green. When the left tank runs out, the regulator automatically shifts to the right tank and turns the regulator flag red.
and the trains will never hit each other
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #45
mpchiar
Established Member

M.O.C. #23765
Does the Mopeka sensor system work with propane tanks that are strapped in with the dual strap bands in the tank compartments?
mpchiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #46
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Yes the sensors magnetically attach to the bottom of the tank. You have to put spacers (comes with it) on the bottom ring to raise up the tank a bit.
In the picture the spacers are the 6 green things.
https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...8584731&sr=8-4
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:48 AM   #47
Bfisher003
Established Member

M.O.C. #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpchiar View Post
Does the Mopeka sensor system work with propane tanks that are strapped in with the dual strap bands in the tank compartments?
Yes, our 30 # tanks have the two straps and our Mopeka system works fine.
Bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:31 PM   #48
SJR/MB from Maine

M.O.C. #27191
Does the tank switch over automatically when the first one is empty? Yes, it does seem like no fun if you’re tucked in all cozy and the heat runs out! Or in the middle of cooking!
SJR/MB from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #49
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJR/MB from Maine View Post
Does the tank switch over automatically when the first one is empty? Yes, it does seem like no fun if you’re tucked in all cozy and the heat runs out! Or in the middle of cooking!
Yes they do if the regulator is working correctly. You do have to leave the valve to the second tank open so when it switches there is propane to be had. Be sure to check the indicator to see if a switch has occurred. How often depends on what all propane appliances you are using. You will learn quickly how much propane you tend to use.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #50
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I use the Mopeka magenetic sensors also and was concerned about losing them since the bottom of the cabinet is open. I bought two Lowe's bucket lids and put them under the tanks so just in case the sensor gets knocked off or falls, it will stay in the lid and not fall off on the road somewhere. They do seem pretty accurate and it's nice to know at any time how much propane you have instead of guessing by weight after removing the tank.
RMcNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #51
TomHerod
Established Member

M.O.C. #31290
Propane tanks. Only one side works

Just got our 2010 Montana 2 months ago. Seem only the passenger side draws propane into system. I’ve tried the switch over function to drivers side tank and nothing works. (See pictures). Do I have a problem with the hookups on the drivers side tank or the switch over mechanism? Or both?

I don’t think I have an automatic switch system, but can I replace what I have with one? So far, I’m just lugging the full bottle from the drivers side to the passenger side and replacing the empty. But it is SUCH A PAIN to relight the pilot light in the oven, I’d like to keep a continuous flow to the stove. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Tom
TomHerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:03 PM   #52
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
All Montanas come with an automatic switch over propane valve. Having a picture would help verify that you still have that type and it hasn't been replaced by a non-switching valve.

Posting pictures on the MOC isn't too difficult once you know the process. Lots of members do just that. Be sure to take the photo in Landscape mode.

Go to https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=70323 and read posts #8 and #25.

Flipping the valve handle to point toward the driver's side tank should cause the indicator in the window to go green. If it doesn't, ensure the passenger's side tank is turned off, the driver's side valve was opened very slowly, and the pigtail is firmly attached.

If still no success, swap the pigtails from side to side. If the lack of flow moves with the pigtail, then replace it. Otherwise, replace the switching valve.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #53
TomHerod
Established Member

M.O.C. #31290
Propane tank switching

Thanks, Carl and Susan for your quick reply to my questions above. I got interrupted and forgot to post my pictures. Here they are. The first shows switch to drivers side tank. The tank is open and connected but indicator shows nothing. The second picture shows the switch turned to the passenger side tank. Note the middle indicator. Both tanks were fully open when I took the pictures.

Thanks again for your response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F79CDF1-2B89-4E3C-BCBE-395E024B8937.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	12938   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FEA5727-495D-4EA7-88B8-C23A39DDD02F.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	12939  
TomHerod is offline   Reply With Quote