Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
SJWilsons3

M.O.C. #23073
2 bathrooms Extra tanks

Hi! We are new owners of a 2019 362RD. We have 2 bathrooms and consequently that gives us additional tanks. Our walk through on delivery was rushed and confusing and we were just wondering if anyone here could just give a simple explanation as to the gray/black tank combo and why we can’t leave the gray tank open at all times like we are used to.
TIA,
Wilson

SJWilsons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum!

No clue on your tanks.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Tanks

I have a full bath and a half bath on my 2018 3921FB. I looked at the specs for your unit and tank capacities are similar -so I will venture to guess a bit. The specs say you have 88 gals storage for black and 98 gals for gray...so you most likely have two 44 gal black tanks and two 49 gal gray tanks (divide spec by two)...a gray and a black rear and a gray and black front.

You will probably have two sets of tank valve handles...a gray and a black valve pull in the convenience center and another set of valves located toward the rear, and probably not located under a slide. My rear valves are accessed thru a small access door in the bottom body J-mold sheet metal just in front of my living room slide. Hopefully the design engineers put your rear handles where you can get to them without crawling under a slide.

Your rear/half bath (toilet+sink) drain to a 44 gal black tank (call it your rear black tank).
Your kitchen sink drains to a 49 gal gray tank (rear gray tank).

The front toilet and sink drain to your front 44 gal black tank.
The shower drains to your front 49 gal gray tank.

My unit has a single sewer hose connection point - all of my tanks are plumbed to the single outlet. You may have connections for two hoses - one for the front tanks and one for the rear tanks - I have no idea but you can figure that out.

I have clear plastic connection elbows which allows me to see the liquid coming out of the tanks. You should get the clear elbows!!

When you get to a park you can test my logic when you get hooked up. Open the rear gray valve and turn on the kitchen faucet. You should see water coming out of the hose. Shut the kitchen faucet to off and close the gray valve the turn on the rear bath sink and see if you get liquid coming from the rear black tank.

Do the same test with the front tanks...run the shower to test the front gray tank and the vanity sink to test the black tank.

We don’t “dry camp” - we always stay in full hookup parks. I leave both gray tank valves open so the kitchen and the tub drain straight out all the time. I drain the black tanks every couple of days. I don’t trust the tank monitors.

If the weather is freezing or below I shut the gray tanks off (rather than letting them run). Learned that the hard way. A frozen hose full of ice does not work. When I kicked the frozen hose to try to loosen the ice the thing broke into several pieces.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Welcome Wilson to the forum. One of the most useful and clean forums that I have been a part of. We have a 2018 HC362RD, and love it. There are many things we had to learn ourselves. As far as the tanks, you can still leave your grey open for the rear bath. Only thing I don’t like is no black tank flush on the rear. Send me a private message for more info if needed. I’d like to know about what your outdoor kitchen “fridge/cooler is now compared to ours. Have you found all four tank drains?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! As you can see from the above, this is the place to get answers about Montanas. May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Welcome to the forum from Arizona. Yes this is a safe place to get and give information about our rigs. We were lucky the dealership we bought from like the new owner to stay on site for 3 or so days. They have maybe 6 to 8 sites. That goes a long way to learning all the systems or your new rig.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome. Don't have your model, but we have two bathrooms, we leave both of our grey tanks open except a day or two before we dump the black tanks.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
One thing to keep in mind when leaving the Gray tanks open all the time. Most all RVs do not use a household type "P" or "S" trap with water, they use a HepvO valve that has a rubber sleeve that opens to let the water pass through, but closes with no water, BUT closed they may not really be air tight because it doesn't hold any water, which could allow sewer gases and smells up into your unit.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
SJWilsons3

M.O.C. #23073
Thanks so much for all the replies ... and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! This looks like a wonderful forum just from the brief scrolling we’ve been doing since last night.

As for our tank confusion ... We only have one lever underneath up front and it’s gray in color. There is only one in back as well and it’s black in color. We were told that there are 2 tanks up front where the full bath is (1 black/1 gray) and only one tank in back where the half bath is (gray/black combo). The control panel has both one gray and one black handle(s) for draining.

How do we drain JUST the gray tanks with only one lever underneath to open? I have pictures if it helps.

Been trying to search for videos of tanks being emptied but haven’t found any yet.

Really appreciate all the help! Aside from this confusing issue, we are loving everything about this Montana!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
SJWilsons3

M.O.C. #23073
Jamesb ... ask away about the outdoor fridge. I have pics of that also!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Welcome to the forum, I can confirm with M&A sometimes we get sewer gas when the gray is left open, not sure if its atmospheric conditions or the campgrounds, but it will happen from time to time, HAPPY THANKSGIVING

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWilsons3 View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies ... and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! This looks like a wonderful forum just from the brief scrolling we’ve been doing since last night.

As for our tank confusion ... We only have one lever underneath up front and it’s gray in color. There is only one in back as well and it’s black in color. We were told that there are 2 tanks up front where the full bath is (1 black/1 gray) and only one tank in back where the half bath is (gray/black combo). The control panel has both one gray and one black handle(s) for draining.

How do we drain JUST the gray tanks with only one lever underneath to open? I have pictures if it helps.

Been trying to search for videos of tanks being emptied but haven’t found any yet.

Really appreciate all the help! Aside from this confusing issue, we are loving everything about this Montana!

Have never seen a grey/black combo tank on a decent sized rv. If a single dump, guess you cannot dump just one or the other.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Even worst the 374 have 2 grey one black, greys together on a separate dump line. Black alone on its own so you cant flush with grey water. need to disconnect and move to the grey drain. Unless you have lots of time to fill black tank with water which I never do .
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Vacationer you could a "y" and some extra hose at least that way you don't have to switch hoses.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #15
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Our 2018 model has 2 drain handles in the convenience center. One is the front black tank, the other is the grey tank for master bath grey water. The next handle will be under the living room slide, right next to the convience center, and this one is for the kitchen sink and rear bathroom sink. The fourth handle is right above the rear sewer hose connector under the rear slide, and this tank is only for the rear bathroom toilet. / Does your outdoor kitchen fridge have a clear glass door?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #16
SJWilsons3

M.O.C. #23073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Does your outdoor kitchen fridge have a clear glass door?
No, our outdoor fridge is black. We’ve seen the glass ones, but it wasn’t a big deal to us. This 5er is such a wonderful change from the horrific motorhome that we’ve had for 2.5 years, just having an outdoor kitchen is a bonus!

Thanks for the tank info!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS3950 View Post
Vacationer you could a "y" and some extra hose at least that way you don't have to switch hoses.
I went this route on my last SOB travel trailer. It had two bathrooms, four tanks, four dump handles and two dump outlets (as well as two black tank flush connections.) Setting up was a lot of work, but I was able to leave both gray tanks open once I was connected.

If you're in this situation, I'd strongly suggest getting extra hoses so you can connect both at the same time. Switching it back and forth is miserable. I bought a telescoping hose storage tube and secured it to my square bumper. This effectively doubled my sewage hose capacity. I had a 15' and 10' Rhino hose in both the tube and the bumper and that worked for pretty much any connection I needed. Connect those to a Y connector and you're good to go.

But setup and breakdown is still a pain.

Enjoy your new rig and welcome to the forums!
Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Black refrigerator. OK, just making sure you didn’t get the glass door one. It is just a beverage cooler, and it really is a piece of junk. It would have been nice for Keystone to put the fridge on an inverter off the battery.

Tags
362rd, bathrooms, draining, tanks