Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
No Heater this AM

We are in a 2017 3820FK, in Central Fl and needed heat this AM. Nope, the furnace will not come on. Plenty of gas, stove, hot water all work. Select Auto and Furnace but nothing, no blowers, no fire. I do get a single flashing light on CB, 3 sec pause and another single flash, repeat. Error code says Air Flow Limit Fault. Pulled the cover off and pulled the tube out, no obstructions. I am "nearly" 100% certain it DID work last year. Any suggestions? Also, how do I access the heater return? Where is it? Assume the floor registers are heated Air "into" the coach.

FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Not totally familiar with your unit, but after so many cycles of trying to light, you might need to reset On my 3701 LK, that is on the blower motor accessed outside a small rocker type switch on the side of the motor
Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Thanks, I did try that. No help. Wonder if the blower not coming on might be the problem? The indicator is saying "Air Flow Limit Fault". Guessing if the blower is not blowing the unit won't light.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
I'm guessing u are right Blower has to run I'm guessing I used to work HVAV but not on RV's, but some basics the same
Good luck
Btw Our unit has a special fuse in the elect panel just for the furnace ?!?!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would start with the Atwood furnace trouble shooting guide from the MOC Files section located HERE.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Last winter our furnace was working great....until it wasn't....failed to ignite. After looking at everything that I knew about where to look, I called a mobile tech. He did all the same things I did and then thought awhile. Then he pulled the cover down off the rear air conditioner and found a loose wiring connection. He said the furnace is wired thru there. Replaced connection and is still good. Might just look there as a last resort. Not sure how yours is wired.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
I did find a 15A fuse in the electrical panel, it checked good. Dang it! We did have the rear roof top AC apart this summer to repair a water leak in the rear bedroom. Will take a look up there tomorrow in the light and also look thru the t-shooting guide carl n susan provided. Another curious thing..... we have a Heat Pump option on the rear (bedroom) AC but not the main AC unit in the living room? Huh? This surprised, I thought the main AC had the HP option?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
That's funny in a way Our rear a/c is a heat pump too, but bedroom is in the front, so heat pump for main living area ...maybe they only put heat pump units in the back ??!!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmarlow82 View Post
<snip>
...maybe they only put heat pump units in the back ??!!
</snip>
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. It appears only the rearmost AC unit has the heat pump. It probably is a height issue.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:52 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. It appears only the rearmost AC unit has the heat pump. It probably is a height issue.
Not always a height issue. Our Montana is same height from front to rear and the A/C units are the same size for both. Only our rear unit has the HP.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlockers View Post
I did find a 15A fuse in the electrical panel, it checked good. Dang it! We did have the rear roof top AC apart this summer to repair a water leak in the rear bedroom. Will take a look up there tomorrow in the light and also look thru the t-shooting guide carl n susan provided. Another curious thing..... we have a Heat Pump option on the rear (bedroom) AC but not the main AC unit in the living room? Huh? This surprised, I thought the main AC had the HP option?
We took off the panel that covers the filter inside the RV, not on the roof. Found bad wiring connection there.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Update..... this AM after reading through the t-shooting guide, started fooling around with it again. Warmer today than yesterday so I had to set heater to 86 to try and force it to come on. Go outside and found a ginormous rain frog in the exhaust tube. Wasn't clear in my reading, is there an airflow sensor on the exhaust? I know about the Sail Switch in the squirrel cage. Make sense to me that there should be a sensor in the exhaust side. So the theory I am going with is that with the warmer temps today had Kermit deciding to get some sun and come out of the exhaust tube. With the obstruction (Kermit) out the tube was cleared and we have ignition. Incidentally found a smaller frog in there yesterday but he was just inside the cover. Unless someone tells me this is a bonehead idea, plan to install a small piece of metal screen over the exhaust tube. Get a piece with a mesh sized to keep mud daubers and frogs from taking up residence but no so tight as to restrict the hot air flow.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
There's your sign That will do it Wow I have s round screen covering mine
Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlockers View Post
Update..... this AM after reading through the t-shooting guide, started fooling around with it again. Warmer today than yesterday so I had to set heater to 86 to try and force it to come on. Go outside and found a ginormous rain frog in the exhaust tube. Wasn't clear in my reading, is there an airflow sensor on the exhaust? I know about the Sail Switch in the squirrel cage. Make sense to me that there should be a sensor in the exhaust side. So the theory I am going with is that with the warmer temps today had Kermit deciding to get some sun and come out of the exhaust tube. With the obstruction (Kermit) out the tube was cleared and we have ignition. Incidentally found a smaller frog in there yesterday but he was just inside the cover. Unless someone tells me this is a bonehead idea, plan to install a small piece of metal screen over the exhaust tube. Get a piece with a mesh sized to keep mud daubers and frogs from taking up residence but no so tight as to restrict the hot air flow.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!! A frog? A "rain frog"...How'd he get up there? I've heard of raining cats & dogs..... I think I put too much Bailey's in my coffee today. What ever it was I'm glad you found it.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As Rsmarloiw82 stated-- time to put one of the screens over the exhaust tube of the furnace. I have done all my access areas (intakes and exhausts) of water heater, furnace and refrigerator. It not only keeps "rain frogs" out but also wasps and spiders from building nests or webs in the areas. They all love the smell of propane and love to climb into the burner tubes to do their jobs there. Also if the frog was in the exhaust tube it may have caused a back pressure on the exhaust and stopped the unit from starting or even running. Glad you got things up and running now!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You can get get screen covers that are made to fit from C\W or Amazon to solve that problem!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Lol Not funny but bugs love the smell of propane and frogs love bugs thank goodness aligators don't like frogs ��
Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #18
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
So 10 days ago I posted had water inside heater , and had to clean burners
So we are camping again and awoke this am with no heat Figured tank ran empty nope Water inside furnace again ( it rained last night )
Luckily close to my dealer and they are fixing , and sealing ( better than the manufacturer did originally, so hope this ends the problem You'd think the factory would fix this as this is a constant issue I am told
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #19
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
We used our heat pump for the first time this past weekend and assumed that we would only be heating the bedroom. (3820FK so bedroom is in the back) Turned it on and noticed that warm air was coming out of all ceiling ducts the entire length of the trailer. On one hand, that is nice to know, but does that mean that my bedroom unit also cools the entire trailer in addition to the front A/C unit? Do both units dump into the same duct work, basically adding more "horsepower" to the system by running both units when in cooling mode? In our past travel trailers, the 2nd A/C unit only ran one room while the main unit went everywhere. We assumed that setting the bedroom unit low at night would only freeze us while allowing my mother-in-law sleeping up front to keep her warmer environment.
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Not an expert but believe you are correct in assuming the second unit is a "booster" Ours is that way