Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Briggs and Stratton Generator

Anyone here have experience with B&S generators? We are looking at the following generator and was wondering if it was good/bad or would work on the 3295RK.

http://shop.briggspowerproducts.com/...6-C26D44D17EC3

Weight isn't that big of a concern because Mike can lift it himself or I could with him, just wondering what you thought. Opinions....

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
they are a good brand for a motor.on everything from generators to tractors.has always been dependable. matter of fact, it's hard to find many small engines now of days that don't have them.

my only concern is the generator part. the engine usually holds up well. is there someplace local to your area that will service it. that's my big question. if the answer is yes, then I wouldn't hesitate. in the past when it came to generators I have always had either honda or onan...and again that's becuase of what was easiest for me for service.briggs and stratton are usually much less costly.

I personally (currantly) have a onan in the camper, but will be buying one for the house also. that one will be a cheaper one probably a briggs and stratton.I don't want to spend too much on it as I won't be using it much.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
That was my thought about the B&S, we won't probably use it that much either but would like to have one if we needed it. And yes we do have quite a few places around that will service it, one is within walking distance from our house. Thanks for the info BillyRay.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melissa and Mike S

Weight isn't that big of a concern because Mike can lift it himself or I could with him, just wondering what you thought. Opinions....
That picture looks an awful lot like a Generac generator. I have a 4000 watt one, it will supply a reliable 30 amps, but it is a lot lift around. I would check at Home Depot and see if they don't have a Generac that would suit you, and be lighter. 165 lbs is more than any one man, or even a couple, should be lifing, especially if it has to manouvered into a tight space. Also, I don't know what you intend to use it for, but I would think it is more generator than you really need to power your trailer. Lots of good generators out there, shop around and make sure you get one that does what you need. Make sure it has appropriate outlets to power your trailer. Uou may need to make up some sort of adaptor to get the power to you RV plug.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Before I invested, I would listen to it run. It might not have the quiet running your neighbors would expect. I would compare the noise level to a Honda or a Yamaha designed for quiet running. If you don't plan to use it at an RV site, then my point is moot.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have to agree with Stiles n Dianna. If you are planning on using it at a campground, listen to it run. Now imagine it being run in the rig parked next to yours. Would it be something you would want to hear for hours on end? The Hondas and Yamahas are considerably quieter and much more efficient.

And again as Stiles n Dianna said "If you don't plan to use it at an RV site, then [s]my[/s] our point is moot."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The noise level would be the biggest concern I would have also. Check it out first before buying it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I owned one of the hondas...they are the best for rving! but expensive. you will need 2- 2001 gens or 1- 3000 if you want to run a/c. I didn't mention it before due to the price, but now that it's been brought up...
Old 10-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The briggs I looked at on site provided does not show engine real good. If it's a standard briggs OHV than i would say listen to it run as well. 10HP Briggs engine will be loud for campground use. Honda is best, Yamaha close second look for ie technology which handles loads better. Thje generac units at Home Depot most of them Have Honda engines, I have 8800 watt unit 13HP for home use and contractor site use and handles all the house ecept water heater adn heat pump runs everythign else. If what you are looking for is primarly a unit for RVing than Honda 3000ie or Yamaha 2800ie is your best option, but they are expensive but will run your whole unit without trouble and are easy the lift. Just FYI.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
the plus with the 2 honda ue2001 are the weight and size.they cost a liitle more, but give you a little more in power and size.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
It all depends on what you want to do with it when not RVing.

If it's installed in the unit, then that's the only place you can use it. If it's portable, well it can get alot of uses.

We have the Honda 3000 and I can lift it myself in and out of the truck and if need be we can use it here at home (knock on wood we haven't had to yet) I believe its just a little over 50 lbs, but will have to double check on that.

It runs everything just fine. Now mine you, you can't run everything all at the same time or all initially on the start up. Once it kicks on the air I can even run the microwave. The only thing I found is the electric hot water and the air blow fuses together sometimes, so when we need the air (priority) I put the hot water on gas.

Let us know what you end up with.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you just need to access your needs. how much storage room do you have, what size do you need, how quiet do you want it, how much do you have to spend,what type of fuel do you want, how will you carry and store that fuel, are you willing to pull everything out while traveling (if that's one of your requirements)and most important....is the spouce going to kill you for getting one!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:07 PM   #13
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay
is the spouce going to kill you for getting one!
Now that's a cute comment, gotta love them spouses
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #14
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ya never know, have to be able to make an informed decision...and "live" with it
Old 10-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #15
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We really like our Honda 6000 generator. We ordered the 3400 with generator prep and it is installed in the front compartment with a gas tank in the bed of the truck. You cannot hear the generator when the AC is running. I especially like just pushing a button to start the generator when Bruce is doing the outside things. This generator will run both AC and everything else. We like to dry camp-- especially tailgating at football games.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:54 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Lots of good ideas. Thanks for the posting. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #17
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
It all depends on what You want to do with it. The "construction" type ones at Home Depot or other big box stores are basically throw-a-ways. When they need more than minor repairs they get tossed. If You want a generator for the long run You get a Honda. They are reliable and worth repairing if there is ever a problem. If You plan to use it often and want to watch tv, use the computer or other electronic devices, the Eu3000i or a pair of Eu2000i's cant be beat. I the use is very occasional and You don't care about the noise than a $500 one will do just fine.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #18
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Follow the good advice about the noise level. Many years ago we bought a Coleman 4,000 kw and you couldn't here your self think. Paid $100. for a fancy muffler and a 100" extension cord we used in hunting camp. treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:30 AM   #19
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
The reason why we wanted it was so we could go off and camp away from people and not have to worry about power. Mike's family had a couple thousand acres in North Dakota that they use to hunt on and stuff so he could take the trailer up there and use it for shelter and such while hunting during this time of year.

Also one of our kids will be starting college in 2005 and hopefully will be playing on the football team so we would use the trailer to stay in while we were going all over to see the games. The generator would come in handy there also.

No, we wouldn't use it in a campground, if they don't have electric that we can use, forget it we aren't staying there.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will have him read these.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #20
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I have to agree about the noise, I have a 5000 watt that I use to power up the house when we loose power with a briggs & stratton engine and they are loud under a load, I might take mine to the races but it would be to joud for a campground if you are camped near anyone else. I also have a 2200 watt coleman that is pretty quite and has a 12 volt battery charger built in and it is quite. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote