Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Chevy /GMC trans cooler line crimps

FYI to all you Chevy/GMC guys WATCH OUT for your trans cooler lines leaking or just popping off like mine did and left me stranded on the side of the road for 7 hours with 40ft 5th,I have read on the Duramax forums before that the crimps on the lines leak and fail ALOT but I never thought it would happen to me,well it did SOOOO folks your might want to drop your skid plate and look at your lines and see if they are leaking and if they are either get new ones Or better yet get Deviant 5/8 inch Hoses from Alligator performance etc... that will never leak again you do not want to be stranded like me waiting for AAA to find a 2 Semi tow trucks to take your truck and 5er to a repair shop,I was LUCKY it happened on a spot on HWY 101 on the Oregon Coast that had a shoulder to pull off on

Old 07-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Glad you were able to get off the road safely. Thanks for letting everyone else know about this potential problem. I think all three truck brands have some issues.

Tom Marty
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
it seems to be mostly GM ,after many years of this problem with their crimps on the lines there should have been a recall or at the least they would improve them by now but NOOOOOOO that makes to much sense but it sucks because other than a stupid 40 dollar trans line the Dmax/Allison combo is Awesome
Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I had this problem with my 2006. First time, replaced under warranty. Then, leaking again at about 55,000. Garage fixed with clamps but then started leaking again at about 59,000. Replaced with new lines. Fortunately, I discovered the leaks while it was home in the garage and not on the road.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thanks for the heads-up Jimmy. I was under the truck a couple weeks ago and saw some tranny fluid on the underside of the body. I suspect the rear seal, due to the location. It's not bad now, fluid is up to the mark on the stick, but I'll have to keep an eye on it as well as these crimping cooler lines. This is my 2nd Dmax and I hadn't heard about that one before. I used to spend all my time on the dieselplace forum, too.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yeah sambam it is easy to check for bad crimps just take off the front plastic skid plate (I think 5 Bolts and drop it and you will see them clearly on the passenger side to see if they are leaking and also the underside of your skidplate will be REAL messy with tranny fluid
Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I was changing the front diff. fluid and after taking off skid plate, noticed my transmission lines were leaking also.Same thing with the power steering lines. Crimped lines are a bad design. Braided lines from Dirty Hooker Diesel took care of problem except for leak into power steering holding tank. Guess now I need to get new transmission lines so mine don't pop off and leave me stranded.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep make sure you do get the all rubber lines or braided there are a few brands because installing the stock factory lines half hard lines half rubber which I had to do because it is the only thing I could get on the road Are a PAIN IN THE REAR to Installit took me 4 hours+ at the campground to thread and twist the stock one's thru the frame,when I get home I am going to spend 250 bucks and get the 5/8 inch flexable lines made by Deviant part #73420 from Alligator performance for a permament fix
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

I was changing the front diff. fluid and after taking off skid plate, noticed my transmission lines were leaking also.Same thing with the power steering lines. Crimped lines are a bad design. Braided lines from Dirty Hooker Diesel took care of problem except for leak into power steering holding tank. Guess now I need to get new transmission lines so mine don't pop off and leave me stranded.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Thanks for the heads up Jimmy. We have a trip to the coast planned for Aug so I'll be dropping my skid plate soon.
vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

yeah sambam it is easy to check for bad crimps just take off the front plastic skid plate (I think 5 Bolts and drop it and you will see them clearly on the passenger side to see if they are leaking and also the underside of your skidplate will be REAL messy with tranny fluid
PLASTIC skid plate ?!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #11
warren0620
Established Member

M.O.C. #12547
I have a 2008 diesel crew 1ton Chev. My line broke at a Salton Sea RV park last winter. Had to be towed to LaQuinta Cal. They fixed it and my neighbor took me to town to pick up the truck. I paid for it. About 2 months later I got a letter from GM saying this was a problem and to take my truck in and have the lines checked. If I had already had the issue and repaired it then I was to fill out a form at a dealer and get a refund. I went to a dealer in Mesa AZ, they filled out the form, sent a copy of my bill and a month or so later I got a refund check for the whole amount.
So check this out with a G M dealer.
warren0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I know that did not sound good HUH??Well they have a little front plastic skidpate to protect the radiator and hoses from rocks etc.. then the Big steel one right behind it protecting the transfer case etc...
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

PLASTIC skid plate ?!
Old 07-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah that GM warranty just expired on mine DANG!!!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by warren0620

I have a 2008 diesel crew 1ton Chev. My line broke at a Salton Sea RV park last winter. Had to be towed to LaQuinta Cal. They fixed it and my neighbor took me to town to pick up the truck. I paid for it. About 2 months later I got a letter from GM saying this was a problem and to take my truck in and have the lines checked. If I had already had the issue and repaired it then I was to fill out a form at a dealer and get a refund. I went to a dealer in Mesa AZ, they filled out the form, sent a copy of my bill and a month or so later I got a refund check for the whole amount.
So check this out with a G M dealer.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Jimmy I forgot to ask. Did you end up going with the 5/8 Deviant lines? If so did you do the install yourself? How difficult was it? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Nope I am on the road right now so I had to go with the easy to get stock one's for 60 bucks a piece just to get back on the road but when I get back home I will order the 5/8 deviant lines from alligator performance for $250.00(free shipping) and YES they are WAY easier to install as they are all braided rubber lines that bend easily thru the frame compared to the hard aluminum line and rubber on the stock one's that SUCK to feed thru the frame from the trans to the trans cooler and radiator SAVE THE FRUSTRATION and spend the 250 my friend and do it yourself ,all you have to do is remove the grille (easy) ,the plastic skid plate under the grill and the passenger fender well cover to gain access to the lines that connect to the radiator,and while you have the inner fender cover off you might as well do the fuel filter too it is right there ALSO FYI be carefull when putting the new fittings on the aluminum trans cooler put counter force with two wrenches or the trans cooler when tightening or it will break
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vibetech1

Jimmy I forgot to ask. Did you end up going with the 5/8 Deviant lines? If so did you do the install yourself? How difficult was it? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #16
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
I took a look at my lines and although there are no drips there are visible signs of residue. With 98K miles im not taking any chances. Alligator performance has the 5/8 lines on e-bay for $250.00 or best offer. I submitted my best offer and will see if they accept. I also found the lines elsewhere for $225.00 + shipping at deviantraceparts.com. For me the total price would be $239.00. Thanks again for the information Jimmy.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep you got it,I'm right with ya when I get home,this is NEVER going to happen to me again it was not a Fun experience being stranded with a 40 ft 5th on the side of the road by a stupid 60 dollar trans- cooler line other than that my truck , trip and Monty have been great....good luck on the install it will not be bad just a little time consuming but the worth piece of mind