Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Theadamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #1793
Tailgate or not??

After much reading ofthe forum and research, we took the plunge and purchased our first 5er (traded our TT). We looked at most of the floor plans and really liked several but in the end chose the Monty 3295RK. We plan to have the slider hitch installed by the dealer and pick the unit up in several days. I noticed in the Montana literature that you can retain the original tailgate on your truck and keep it down while towing. Can anyone confirm this and are there any issues to be aware of???

Theadamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Montana_562
Established Member

M.O.C. #562
Like you, I've read this forum regularly. Had our 5er for 18 months and over 14,000 miles with tailgate up. We do NOT have a slider, went with the longbed. No problems, just put the tailgate down first!
Montana_562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Welcome Adams Family. You have chosen a great unit. We love our 3295RK. We do not have the slider hitch as we also have the long bed like Joan & Rick. With the long bed we have to put the tailgate down to hitch and unhitch, but always tow with the tailgate up. Am sure someone with the same set up you have will come along shortly to answer any concerns you have.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I'm not sure about a slider hitch and extended pin box, but I tow with a long bed and standard hitch and pin box on the Montana. Just lower the tailgate to hook and unhook. If the tailgate is down while towing I'm sure it would damage both the tailgate and front of the Montana in a turn.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Good info. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I tow my 3400RL with the shortbed, and have the Superglide sliding hitch as well. When I first bought the coach I towed with the original tailgate, just dropped it down for hooking and unhooking. I do alot of highway driving so I decided to take off the original tailgate and put on the tailgates made for fifth wheels. I am pretty sure it is made by Custom Flow and unless the coach is on a severe higher angle from the truck I just back right into the kingpin and go. To sum it up, yes you can tow with a shortbed sliding hitch with the original tailgate. Only thing to rememeber is to drop it down for hooking and unhooking.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have a short bed on the truck. I installed a 5th wheel tailgate after I lost a piece of wood 2 x 10 x 24" out of the back of the truck using the regular tailgate. Apparently the suction in the rear of the truck using the regular tailgate is unreal. I have also lost a plastic wheel chuck which I had inside the hitch.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Welcome to the Forum Adams Family

You are right. We use the regular tailgate and the wind forces must be terrific back there. Things like empty fuel cans plastic folding tables or chairs all have to be tied down if you want to keep them.
We lost a fuel can before we noticed the vortex problem.

Customizing the "loadup, hookup" check list by adding an item for "tying down cargo" is good at first when it seems like there are an awful lot of things to remember.

"Experience is what you get when you were expecting someting else."
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
Hmmmm...thanks for the info. Didn't realize there was such a wind force back there. I usually put a lot of stuff back there when I'm traveling with the 5er. Never thought to tie it down. Maybe thats where that cooler went....lol
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:41 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I wonder who it hit. lol
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 AM   #11
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I have the Custom Flow 5th wheel tailgate. I lost two of the yellow chocks on my way home from Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago. I had them in the rear of the bed and I imagine the air flow caught them and sucked them out. My brother-in-law was behind me and said that he thought he saw something yellow come out from under the camper but he didn’t know what it was. When I got home I only had two left!

I like the convenience of the V tailgate and the piece of mind I have knowing the stock tailgate won’t get bent if I were to forget to lower it when pulling away from the camper. It does happen. Just ask my brother-in-law

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:30 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We too have the 3295Rk and love it. We have a short bed, sliding hitch and we use our regular tailgate. We also travel with it up and have had no problems. Although I have noticed it creates like a vacuum in there. Since we are weekenders and aren't able to keep the 5er at home we pack our clothes in those rubbermaid tubs and throw them in the back of the truck so the stuff doesn't get wet. It wind has pulled the tops off the tubs and our clothes have flown out on the side of the road. LOL And it's opened the cooler a couple times. Now we use duct tape and make sure everything is secure!
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
We also have the 3295 and tow it with a Ford 250 with a short bed. We have the Reese sliding hitch. No problems with changing the hitch position from towing to maneuvering when necessary.

The only thing you have to remember is to lower the tailgate before you hitch and unhitch. We were told that we should not travel with the tailgate in the lowered position.

Good luck with your new 3295. We know you will love it, we do.
alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:39 AM   #14
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
You can certainly retain the original tail gate but you cannot tow with it down. I opted to replace the gate with the louvred, notched gate and it has made things much easier. Among other things, it reduced turbulence in the truck bed to nearly zero. Some folks claim they increase fuel mileage and I think they do but the amount is virtually nil. I leave mine on year round. Just remember that most are primed in black, they are not painted. You should paint them before use.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:45 AM   #15
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Like many others , we use the OEM tailgate, the 5th wheel tailgate would be handy, just hate to spend the money when the one we have is still in good shape (so far) But its always in the up/closed position when towing. Now an OEM tailgate with the cutout for 5th wheel hook up, I would be interested in that to help retain the trucks factory look, I seen one one time where a guy cut one down, modified it. it was very nicely done.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 AM   #16
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Has anyone ever checked out the Poly Louvered tailgate by Stromberg Carlson the net shows it for $219.99 and there catolog id $199. with free freight..I was wondering about it being Poly if it would hold up it sure wont rust
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Forgot the link......
Northern Tool
Old 08-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #18
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

Has anyone ever checked out the Poly Louvered tailgate by Stromberg Carlson ...
I had one for about 3 months until someone stole it or it dropped off the back of the truck by "natural causes". It is light-weight but sturdy. (Although don't try to stand on it.) And it won't rust! Biggest drawback is that it is too light and flexible to slam shut. You really nead to double check that it is latched in the upright position.

If I were to buy another v-gate, I'd get another Stromberg Carlson but I'd find a way to hold it on a tad more securely. Pehaps by putting a stainless steel band around the pivot point that has the opening for installation and removal. (Hope that makes sense.)

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:14 AM   #19
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
NOT ONLY can you travel with the tail gate down, you can also use a hitch mounted cargo carrier. We have a flow through tail gate to relieve pressure but i needed storage for my Big Green Egg (small version) charcoal cooker. I got a cargo carrier from Harbor freight for about 5o bucks. It works great. I did drill a new pin hole in the reciever so it would sit closer to the truck but, there was plenty of clearance between the carrier and the trailer.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:12 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Craig

Thanks for the information, I have been looking for some time now but wasnt sure, now I must deside if I will need to stand on it or not and metal or plastic and hook it on good.