Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Montana_1891

M.O.C. #1891
Experience with dual pane windows?

Does anyone have any experience with the dual pane window options? Are they beneficial for cold temp camping? Most importantly, do they stay clear or has there been a problem with condensation between the panes over time?

Thanks

Montana_1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
mine are in a 2004, so haven't seen real cold weather yet.so far I really like them though.cut down on noise as well as insulate.the "fog up" was one of the reasons I bought them, but won't know how well that will be until this fall.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
They were a "deal breaker" for us. We made it down to -3F overnight one evening with NO condensation on the windows.

We have lost the seal in one small window. Im going to try a home repair on that one and will post the results later this summer.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
One problem or drawback(so I have heard) is that smaller windows(such as the the ones in the bed slide) don't open. The amount of opening windows is a big plus to me, especially when we boondock. Friends of ours with a Newmar complain about the lack of ventilation in their trailer due to small window openings.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:18 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Nope, the windows in the bed slide do open...it's the big window over the dresses that doesn't. It's the escape hatch for the bedroom as well.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:46 AM   #6
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
I can’t say how warm the windows will keep you in the cooler months because we got ours in May. I can tell you that the combination of the windows and the shades seemed to keep the trailer cooler in the heat of the day while we were at the beach. I would think if it keeps it cooler in the summer then it should keep warm in the winter for the same reasons.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Now I am curious. I don't know if we have the dual pane windows or not but we have the arctic package so I wonder if that is part of it (?). Our escape hatch in the bedroom doubles as a window. It locks to the open position and it has a screen for that purpose. We have another one in the livingroom area that has an exit sign on it. We like the fact that all the windows open.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:17 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Dual pane windows are sliders. If all your windows slide...they are dual pane. When you slide the window open and look at the edge you can see two panes of glass.

I'm not sure why you would have an arctic package with single pane...unless your planning to buy storm windows????
Old 07-29-2004, 06:18 AM   #9
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
toolmanroy -- the dual pane windows are a separate option and are not included in the artic package. Sounds like our window system is the same as yours, however, we did order our Monty with the deep tint safety glass windows. We thought that the deep tint would help keep the sun rays out. Hope this helps.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I thought I remember Montana Sue saying the only window she had that opened in the bedroom was the escape window. Hers did not have a screen either, she had to make one.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Yours are not dual pane, they are like ours.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

Now I am curious. I don't know if we have the dual pane windows or not but we have the arctic package so I wonder if that is part of it (?). Our escape hatch in the bedroom doubles as a window. It locks to the open position and it has a screen for that purpose. We have another one in the livingroom area that has an exit sign on it. We like the fact that all the windows open.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ours is like that too, we have the the arctic package and not the dual pane windows. The dual pane windows aren't necessary to keep the heat in the trailer, it helps yes but keeping the shades down will help too or you could put 3M plastic on them if you really had to. Up here where we live even the dual pane windows are going to help you in the winter....

But the arctic package will help us go into October and camp if we really wanted to.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Dual pane windows are sliders. If all your windows slide...they are dual pane. When you slide the window open and look at the edge you can see two panes of glass.

I'm not sure why you would have an arctic package with single pane...unless your planning to buy storm windows????
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #13
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Yes dual plane windows is an option and add extra weight to the coach. If you plan on staying in cold weather opt for the dual plane windows. Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:15 AM   #14
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Does anybody know how much weight dual pane windows add to the RV?
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:09 AM   #15
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
On another brand 5th wh, we had double pane storm windows. They added a lot of weight. The more windows you have, the more weight & most trailers now seem to be half windows.We did not find them worth the cost. Keeping blinds down,helps more in keeping heat/cold out.If anything does.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
After spending last summer in Phoenix I can say without any reservations.... get the dual pane windows! I'm not sure how much weight they add but it would not matter to me. Anything to help keep it cooler or warmer would be worth it to me. :-)

And we told ourselves when we got the rig that we'd just go somewhere cooler/warmer if the temp got too extreme. But didn't account for the first grandchild being born in Phoenix in the hottest summer in 100 years! LOL

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #17
Montana_977
Established Member

M.O.C. #977
Just one caution with the dual pane windows. Ours are not tinted very dark, so we had the glass man come to look at them to give us an estimate on putting darker window film on them. He said you can only darken them to a certain point before they will produce too much reflected heat inside the dual panes and blow the seals out. Needless to say, we opted out of that one. Just some info. Bob & Cherie
Montana_977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:11 AM   #18
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BobCherieStormy

Just one caution with the dual pane windows.
I'd wonder about the quality of dual pane windows. I've rarely had them last most than 5-10 years in the home before they leak and fog. I'd wonder if any Montana owners that do have these have had problemd. I've assumed these are thermo panes which is a HUGE assumption and that as such they are sealed with a gas film inserted between the panes.
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:18 AM   #19
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Gruf

We had that problem and Montana did replace the bad ones. Actually still in the process due to some coordination problems. You might want to contact your dealer on those.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:27 AM   #20
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

One problem or drawback(so I have heard) is that smaller windows(such as the the ones in the bed slide) don't open. The amount of
==========================================

NJ

We missed the air movement too due to those small windows. So rather than having those itty bitty ones that were supposed to slide horizontally in the bedroom slide we are now getting a single verical slilder that will go in the same track for the bottom of the existing window on each side of the bed. The whole lower 1/2 will now slide open vertically. The cost is $59 each we are told. One of them was fogged so we only need to pay for one. We got a similar fix for the lower part of the two back side windows beside the picture window.
Lots more air movement.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote