Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
For Book lovers I found a very cool site!

While searching the net for something entirely different I was linked to a site named bookcrossing.com. It's all about "freeing your books or books in the wild". The gist of it is that people leave books all over the world and you can go to this site to find out when and where they left them.

When you go to the site you first click on "Go Hunting", then your country, then your city. Right now there are about 700 books in the Orlando area. You can read where people leave books, when they left them and sometimes a "journaler" will comment on the book and rate it. They usually display the book cover and tell you what category the book is. ie..Mystery, Fiction, et...

In Orlando there are books in Home Depots, Denny's, Burger Kings, Starbucks, Malls. and so on. Sometimes the person "freeing the book" will tell you exactly where they left it, ie.. on top of the phone outside Publix on 192 and 27. Or sometimes they will make you "hunt" and say Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Big Place! It looks they are usually left in public or common areas at the resorts. Two at Port Orleans right now, (if they are still there) are advanced copies, one of which I would like to read. I might just pop over there today and "hunt" for it.

Anyway just thought I share this with anyone who might be interested. I know most RV clubhouses have books, but this adds another dimension to the thrill of finding a good book.

BTW: I found this site while on Google searching for a particular Deli in the area. The Deli does not have a web page but came up because someone had left a book there.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fla Native

Sounds like fun, also sounds like it could take you as long to FIND the book as to READ it.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Thanks, I just joined up. According to the listings there was a book left in a bus shelter just outside my office last Saturday. I went and looked but it is travelling already!

I'll be sending some on vacation soon!
Jim
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
This sounds fun! I'm going to go check my city right now...thanks!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thank for the tip. Sounds like fun. Something to check on a raining day.. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote