Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Wet Bolt Alternative

As some of you know, I just oil my suspension instead of the wet bolts. It works great for me. I took off two shackles by the Mor Ride
& found NO wear to speak of. I have been doing this maintenance since unit was new.
I oil my bushings with 30 W oil every 600 miles. No noise or excessive play to speak about. I have about 12,000 miles on 5ver..No problems. Biggest problem is nobody does anything to their suspension & everything just wears & rusts out.
Those plastic or nylon bushings are there for noise only!

I've been pulling trailers & 5th wheels since 1969 & never any problems with worn bushings. Take care of them & they will take care of you. Yes, I pack my bearings every two years.

What ever you are comfortable with..go with it.

Roy

Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Whatever floats your boat. If it works for you, than so be it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Thanks for the tip. I plan to start oiling today.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
When Keystone builds a new Montana they try to spend as little as possible. They now know enough that they put wet-bolts on all the new Montanas.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Roy, how does that oil get inside the bushing with the bolts tight? Or do you take them bolts and nuts and loosen them enough to get oil in them? Or do you just soak the whole area with oil so that eventualy the oil gets to them?

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Roy, how does that oil get inside the bushing with the bolts tight? Or do you take them bolts and nuts and loosen them enough to get oil in them? Or do you just soak the whole area with oil so that eventualy the oil gets to them?

Dave
Dave,
After a couple of treatments, the oil does seep into the bolt & bushing area. Years back on a travel trailer I had a broken spring. As I took out the bolts, there was lots of oil on the bolt & bushing.
Many people have posted pictures here & on another website of their worn suspension parts...total rust! Oiling of these components would have stopped or slowed down the wear.
I'm not saying this method is fool proof, Wet bolts would be better in the long run. Of course, it entirely depends on how much driving you do and how long are you going to keep your trailer.
Hope this helps..........

Roy
Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
Chain and cable lube from Napa works well too. Comes in a spray can and soaks in really well. Every time I start a trip I unload a can on the springs, bolts and shackles. I took the shackle apart yesterday to check them before I head down the Alcan on Monday. There was only a miniscule amount of wear. Yes, wet bolts are the answer in the end. But I am pleased how the chain and cable has been working. The trailer is on it's fifth trip coast to coast and 1 trip up the Alcan. Napa part #1370 and goes for about 6 dollars a can.
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

As some of you know, I just oil my suspension instead of the wet bolts. It works great for me. I took off two shackles by the Mor Ride
& found NO wear to speak of. I have been doing this maintenance since unit was new.
I oil my bushings with 30 W oil every 600 miles. No noise or excessive play to speak about. I have about 12,000 miles on 5ver..No problems. Biggest problem is nobody does anything to their suspension & everything just wears & rusts out.
Those plastic or nylon bushings are there for noise only!

I've been pulling trailers & 5th wheels since 1969 & never any problems with worn bushings. Take care of them & they will take care of you. Yes, I pack my bearings every two years.

What ever you are comfortable with..go with it.

Roy

Roy, I have to agree with you on this point, I replaced the nylon bushings with the wet bolt kit a few months back, and after 10k on the nylon bushings there was no wear that I could see, and if they were getting some grease or oil on them hard telling how long they would have lasted. Had I have known or checked them before replacing, and would have known about the oiling I would have never changed them out for the wet bolts. I just assumed after reading the horror stories I would just buy the wet bolt kit ,and replace.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did upgrade to the wet bolts.

One comment, the shackles on the upgrade are twice as thick as the original ones. I do hope your lubrication does help prevent the wear (elongation) on the shackle holes.

As stated if it works, "good on ya."
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Roy,
Oiling every 600 miles is a lot of oiling. If that works then great. Roy you may actually be on to something really good. By having to oil the shackles as much as you are you will be under the trailer a lot so that gives you a chance to look at all the other suspension components as well. As you know the suspension stuff seems to be one of the really weak areas of our rigs.

But if you do not have the more substantial hardware that John refers to I would either get them and install them or get a HD set from Dexter or whatever company you like. Having the heavier duty shackle hardware on the rig will give you a great sense of security. Or it did for me. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have seen to many broken shackles on other post so as I put on the wet bolt up grade I beefed up the shackles! This was just as important to me as the wet bolts.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Oiling every 600 miles, there isn't much time involved. 5 minutes?
When we go to FL, I only oil half way down there.
The broken shackles I have seen were very rusty, thus excessive wear elongates the bolt holes.
I have worked on suspension like this in my 35 years of truck repair.

Another note: the welded brackets at the frame for the ends of the springs, are very weak. I see no improvement with this, except welding plates on them to beef them up. This should also be done along with wet bolts too. I haven't seen anybody with this except a few here on MOC.

Again, go with what your are comfortable with!

Roy
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Roy thanks for the info. Seeings though I have not changed as of yet to the wet bolt system I will oil them well and sooner or later I will be putting them on. I plan on keeping this rig for a long time, so in the long run I am sure it will be a good thing to do. On the road now, and will be where I can accomplish the wet bolt install next summer. Till then, we will oil away.

Thanks
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote