Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
TOILET PROBLEMS

Not sure if this is the right place to address this problem, but here goes. Our Aqua Magic toilet has been making a vibrating, growling noise when we flush. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it? My husband is NOT a handyman. Any help will be appreciated.

ajjoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
When does it make the noise. Right after hook up? If that is the case it is likely air in the system, is normal, will stop after a few flushes although the time to stop will vary depending on how long the hose is, if you have empty water filters inline, etc.

Or does it do it at other times?

clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Could it possibly be the water pump? (then the noise would be normal) If only when flushing and not using water like in shower or sink, then the noise is probably not the pump.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
The noise seems to be coming from the water pump The pump isn't turned on and there is no water in the tank??????
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ajjoez

Not sure if this is the right place to address this problem, but here goes. Our Aqua Magic toilet has been making a vibrating, growling noise when we flush. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it? My husband is NOT a handyman. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
First, Are you hooked up to city water? If so, probably air in lines. If not hooked up to city water you must have water in tank or you could burn up your pump. Make sure switch on wall for water pump is off if you are hooked to city and have no water in your tank. It would help to know year and model # of your Montana. You can put those items in your signature block, you do that from your profile page....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
We are hooked up to city water. Have lived in this RV for 5 years and this problem just started. The noise is definately coming from the water pump. How can we disconnect the water pump? We don't use it and don't need it anyway. We have a 2002 Montana 5th wheel.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
I sometimes hear those noises, never thought it was the toilet though, I usually blame it on the dog.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:

We are hooked up to city water. Have lived in this RV for 5 years and this problem just started. The noise is definately coming from the water pump. How can we disconnect the water pump? We don't use it and don't need it anyway. We have a 2002 Montana 5th wheel.
Don't you have a switch to turn off the water pump? OR am I to understand that on your year you must have the switch on at all times? I don't know about the older models....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
The switch is off and has been off all the time. There is no water in the tank. That's why this is so weird. But we do know the noise is coming from the water pump. We want to find out HOW TO DISABLE THE PUMP. None of the breakers look like the are only for the pump, but there must be some way to disable it.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
The pump doesn't have a breaker it will have a fuse that you can pull
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Is it possible it is the check valve and not the pump? You mentioned it is the pump, how have you determined that?
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #12
ajjoez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9785
We definately can hear it's coming from the water pump. Looked at the fuses and can't tell which one to pull. I may just try them one at a time and hope to turn the derned thing OFF. Thanks everyone for all the info.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There should be a label for the fuses, maybe on the backside of the cover? If not, try turning on the pump with the pump switch and then start pulling fuses.

Someone mentioned a check valve. There is a check valve where the water hose connects to the city water. It can make noise when it is worn or defective. It's not real obvious. If you disconnect the water hose you should see a little screen/washer in the connection. Pry that washer/screen out. Just behind that screen there will be a pin, probably white. That's the checkvalve. Try pushing it to make sure it moves. Chances are it's crudded up and not closing properly. I don't know whether this checkvalve can be replace by itself or you have to replace the hole assembly. Your Montana dealer can tell you. Also, if there's obviously crud in there and/or on that screen, try cleaning them out as good as you can and see if the noise goes away.

I have no idea whether any of the above will help but I hope you find the solution. Please keep posting back so we can try to come up with other ideas if none of these work.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

Another thought, you might find the phone number for the manufacturer of the toilet (should be in the manual, or look online) and call them to see if this maybe is a problem they have a solution to.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote