Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Toppers on the Slides

Wife was asking about the Slide Toppers... So folks, lets get some input.. Where did you get them and what was the cost installed?

Also are they worth the money? Right now I have no problem climbing up and sweeping off the slides, but I am not always going to be so young.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have an 04 and had the toppers installed when I purchased the unit. In my opinion I would not be without them. I had the large topper fabric replaced a year ago because the fabric stretched and it was just a few dollars more for the new than to repair the old fabric. I have the Carefree of Colorado system and have had no problems with them. No idea of present cost.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We picked ours up (Carefree of Colorado) 3 years ago at the Good Sam Rally in Redmond Or, can't remember the cost. They are a little noisy in the wind, but that and the fact that if it gets extremely windy you might have to pull the slides in are the only negatives. I was convinced by a friend that was in Yosemite and had it rain and then freeze and before they could bring the slides in they had to get on the roof and chip the ice off of the roof of the slides. I would probably get them again.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
If you are getting them so that you have them when you are older I would not get them. They only last about 4 to 5 years.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5ER

If you are getting them so that you have them when you are older I would not get them. They only last about 4 to 5 years.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
I ordered them on our 2010 347 THT and they were about 1300 for the 3 of them installed at the factory. I was told they ride out with the slide so no way to wind them in separate from the slide rooms.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have the A & E toppers installed by Camping World. The one over the large slide droops in in the middle and when it rains I have to get on top and push the water off, otherwise when it winds up it jams the cover and I have to open the slides and start again. Having said this, I would do it again as I have had no problems with leaking slides or anything getting stuck when they roll up. On the negative side, they do make quite a racket when the winds blow just right. I carry a large nylon tow strap and some bungees to hold down the large one when it is real windy. Only had to use it a couple of times. We have had them since day one in '07 when we started travelling and they appear to be in good shape. Having seen the Carefree ones, I think I would go with them on another trailer. Seem better built. Who knows???? When the fabric goes, I will replace the fabric with new......Can't remember the prices but they are in the CW catalog. I would only suggest you get the ones with the metal covers that cover them up when rolled up...... Hope this helps.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #8
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had them installed when I bought the unit new in 2001 and they are still there. My neighbor has a 1999 and he just had his replaced this year because they tore a little in the sewn seam. The new ones do not have the sewn seams, they use glue or something so should last longer.
I would install them again if I bought a new unit.
I have seen units where they delaminated for some reason and had to be replaced but I guess it was a manufacturing problem, but they would never admit that.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wouldn't be without them for us, but if you don't mind climbing up to sweep the tops, then I'd hold off. As noted above, they deteriorate with time. If you will be somewhere where ice or snow will accumulate on the slides, then the toppers would be of value. But in your shoes I'd hold off until I decide I don't want to crawl up there and sweep them off or until that's not a workable option. Just my opinion, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I wouldn't be without them for us, but if you don't mind climbing up to sweep the tops, then I'd hold off. As noted above, they deteriorate with time. If you will be somewhere where ice or snow will accumulate on the slides, then the toppers would be of value. But in your shoes I'd hold off until I decide I don't want to crawl up there and sweep them off or until that's not a workable option. Just my opinion, though.
Thanks Steve,

This sounds like a good plan... I know the day will come when climbing up there will be hard. Since they do have a limited life time, I think I will wait til I get closer to retirement, still 8 years off.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had slide toppers on three out of six 5th wheel but don't want them again, haven't had any issues without them. I do have a electric leaf blower (cost $59.00) and I have a latter in the basement. But we try very hard to never park under trees. But if we do it takes about 10 minutes to blow off the slides and I don't have to climb onto the roof. The last time we had them put on 3 slides I was qouted $1,500 installed GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote