Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
dudleydo

M.O.C. #9608
Sewer Hookup

Again, as rookies we seek advice from the 'pro's'
We will take our new 5th wheel to our site soon and need some advice on the type of hose/pipe to use. It's a seasonal site that we be using until late October and expect to return to next spring after taking the rig to FL next winter. Flexible or solid PVC??
I thought I remember hearing that there are fewer problems with the PVC given that we're not traveling around.

dudleydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I cannot advise you as this really is a personal thing. I've used both types of sewer connections. If you're set up a long time in one spot then PVC is probably the way to go. However, for convenience, the regular sewer hoses are best.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have stayed as long as five months in one spot and use the flexible hose with nary a problem. Individual choice, I would think.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
If you do use the sewer hose, be sure to get the seasonal type because the cheaper ones spring leaks quickly. (I found out the hard way)
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would think PVC is a great idea if you are in a fixed location for ALL the time. What happens if you decide "let's go over there for a little bit", or "let's take off for a little bit".

What I have seen that probably works best, is use all flexible hoses for the sewer hoses but get the best you can find (like someone mentions above, the cheap ones get pinholes). But to get the hose to last longer in the elements use oversized PVC you can fit the hose through in order to shield the hose from exposure.

It will be your ultimate choice, but you'll find easy is the way to go. Then good flexible hoses are the best and shorter is better than longer. You can also put hoses together to make a longer run, but a long hose on a short run is overkill, a pain to work with and more to trip on while wandering around the rig. Another convenience is quick connects at all ends. This is difficult to do with PVC if any change is made to your site (location, or desire to move for any reason).

Don't forget to find a way to elevate the hose so that it has a gradual downward slope (this is easier to do with PVC). If the hose just lays on the ground, the drainage will remain in the hose and this can get real messy.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

If you do use the sewer hose, be sure to get the seasonal type because the cheaper ones spring leaks quickly. (I found out the hard way)
Hey, Jim, even the cheap ones can last a lot longer if you keep them off the ground, especially pavement or rocky ground. Those hoses shimmy when you're dumping and that rubs holes through them where the fabric touches the wire frame. The cheap ones have a thinner material so wear through faster. After going through several hoses that sprung pinhole leaks I started using either the half-round pvc or one of the other hose supports (we have 2 or 3 kinds) and the hoses last much, much longer. If you're already doing this.... then never mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
For years we used conventional sewer hoses, and we had all kinds of storage tubes for
them. Under the rig, on the back bumper, and while they worked, we needed so much stuff to make it work. Some campgrounds have sewer connections that are 6" or 8" above the ground. Now most campgrounds in California INSIST that your hoses are supported in a
"slinky" or some other device to keep them off the ground. Failure to comply will result in a ticket.
So last year I invested a $120 in the Sewer Solution, check out their website at;
www.sewersolution.com
Unit comes with two, 10 foot discharge hoses, and I bought a 3rd length. The unit will also discharge into 1" pvc rigid pipe, and I carry two, 5 foot lengths of this in the basement
with 1" couplers to join it together. In total I can discharge up to 40 feet.
The Sewer Solution uses the simple venturi principle. The unit requires a separate fresh
water hose with a back flow preventer. When the water pressure to the venturi is activated
it literally pulverizes all the contents of your black tank. For normal operation while in
a park, we leave the grey tank valves open, and the drains simply flow in the sewer drain.
The great thing about the Sewer Solution is that it will discharge up to a distance of 100
feet and 3 feet in height.
My entire Sewer Solution kit with the hoses fits into a sealed Walmart tub about 16" by 18
by 18". I always flush with fresh water when finished and there is no smell in your basement, no stinky hoses on your back bumper, etc. No moving parts, no macerator to wear out or hard wire, just a very simple and easy to operate device.
The unit discharges into a thick wall plastic hose with a 3/4" bore, no slinky or other
support needed, and you could drive over this hose and not hurt it.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I really like my Rhino hose. It is semi rigid. By that I mean it is flexible and expands, but it is not "floppy" like a lot of hoses. You only expand it as long as need be and it does not sag and twist as some do.
I do use one of the hose cradles to keep it off the ground and at a continuous slope to the ground pipe so liquid does not collect and stand in it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Here is another strong vote for Sewer Solution. Been using it since 2005. Beats the standard flexible hose hands down. I just moved to a new campsite after almost 10 months in the last site. The sewer solution preformed very well. Usually it can be bought from the factory for a bit cheaper than at Camping World. I carry 3 sections of the hose which gives up to 30' of connectivity. Most of the time I only use one section.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I must admit, I like that sewer connection gig. So it's no concern to have grey water laying in the discharge pipe ? I guess as long as you use it regularly there'd be no buildup of any sort ?

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the Sewer Solution is a good thing to have but would caution not to get rid of all your sewer hoses if you go that route. The reason is not all dump stations have a water connection to make the sewer solution work. So keep a slinky type hose around for those situations. That said, most of the time the Sewer Solution will be all you need. We don't have one but I would have no problem with having one other than I'm too tight to pay for it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Another vote for the SS. After over 4 years of use we are very satisfied. Never have any problems other then some papertowels and Kleenex the grandkids flushed. But it only took longer and was not a problem.
We purchased some flexible PVC pipe/hose and use that instead of the short green spirolite hose. PVC is much cheaper and it is flexible like the spirolite. I think CW has the SS on sale for $99.00 or so.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote