Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hope he's not near my MOC boondocking friends

Just thought I'd post something my friend who owns a new Winnebago motor home posted on another of the groups I belong to. I sincerely hope you don't run into him at Quartzsite. I've seen a lot of RVers do a lot of stupid things, but this takes the cake.

He entitled it "Someone is Watching out for me."

We're here in Quartzsite, enjoying the sites and sounds. Actually, we're holed up in the motorhome while it is raining this Sunday afternoon here in the desert. So we run the generator and catch up on mail.

We had a little wake up call on Friday night in our rig. Two years ago, after we purchased it, I had installed a catalytic heater and used a quick disconnect fitting so that the heater wasn't out unless we needed it. All was well. This past week, we had the propane detector alarm one morning when the wind was out of the passenger side, so I blamed it on the furnace and waterheater exhaust and pulled the alarm.

Friday, we moved and when we started the heater Friday night, again the alarm sounded. So just to make sure all was well, I got out my trusty fire starter and clicked it near the inside fittings. WOH, did I get a wake up call. There was a burst of flame, followed by flames coming out of the disconnect fittings. We blew the fire out and turned the gas off. But no matter how I seated the disconnect, it continued to leak propane, so we didn't use the heater.

Talking with some others here at the gathering, they agreed that there was a special "gas" quick disconnect, other than the ones used on air hoses, which is what I had used. When I had installed it, I had heard about a gas disconnect, but in the rush to make the connection, I dropped the ball and never followed up on it.

Saturday morning, we were at the local Hardware store and sure enough they had a Certified Quick Disconnect just for explosive gases. We bought it and now we're back in business, using the heater. The other lesson learned was that I have never checked my work since doing it 2 years ago. Logically, one ought to check all gas lines periodically for leaks.

The lesson learned: If you're going to use a quick disconnect on your propane heater line, make sure it is the correct one. We were very fortunate and we're certainly very thankful that nothing serious happened. What saved us was that I always turned the gas valve off when we were not using the heater. Otherwise, the motorhome would have been filled with gas and we'd have been bye-bye (had we ignored the LP Alarm.)!

Presently, we're still boondocking (dry camping) it on the desert. But I have promised Sandy that she can have a week in a full service RV park here in Quartzsite when the water tank is empty.

Beware the firebug!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,

Thanks for the warning. I can not believe that someone would use fire to check for propane leaks! That is NUTS! Fortunately he is not near us.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I can not believe that anyone would use a air quick disconnect for gas and not even check it for leaks with soapy water. Thanks for the post Orv.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Holy cow! Even I'm not that stupid, and that's saying a lot. you know, he may have "learned his lesson," with the propane, but I wonder if he checks the gas tank (can) with a match?????

Wow! Please provide identification as this idiot needs to be hanging on the wall of every CG, like a post office poster saying CAUTION! IDIOT ON LOOSE!

Editied: In retrospect, he was able to post his mistake.
Sorry if I have insulted a friendship. I'm just so amazed at this.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Sounds like a 'sure fire' way to get an audio/visual display of a propane leak.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Holy cow! Even I'm not that stupid, and that's saying a lot. you know, he may have "learned his lesson," with the propane, but I wonder if he checks the gas tank (can) with a match?????

Wow! Please provide identification as this idiot needs to be hanging on the wall of every CG, like a post office poster saying CAUTION! IDIOT ON LOOSE!

Editied: In retrospect, he was able to post his mistake.
Sorry if I have insulted a friendship. I'm just so amazed at this.
No insult to me. I went to him and told him I didn't believe what he did. It's interesting too-I've parked next to him in different places. That all changes now. Waynem, you spelled out my sentiments exactly. Rather that giving his identification, just beware of any newer Winnebago Meridian motor homes with a DirecWay satellite antenna nearby.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
This is just like the person in the next space who squeezing the charcoal bottle on his fire that is already burning...
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
The charcoal bottle reference reminds me of this guy who put his BBQ under his awning to get out of the light drizzle. All was well until he left it running to burn off the grill. Unfortunately he hadn't figured for the heat and the vinyl soon sagged and started to melt. On a hot day it might have been worse. These guys are the reason they put those idiotic warnings on products today. My favorite is the toilet brush which says "Not For Personal Hygiene".
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
He's lucky his last words weren't "Honey, watch this"
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
What's unfortunate is these guys are "Living" amongst us! Beware of idiots at large! I once knew a guy who used a .22 caliber pistol as a replacement for a drill. We parted ways shortly after that and I haven't seen him since, nor do I wish to. No telling what he is using these days.
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Wow!! People like this are why I still have a job!
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have just 3 words.......

WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Why do you think they have the Darwin awards?

What I think is even more unbelievable is that he admitted his stupidity!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
Like they say... you can't fix stupid
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote