Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OH OH !!!! Smog Check??

I found this and found it very disterbing to a sence.
If you have a diesel in sunny Calif get ready for smog checks.
I dont know if it has passed or not, I read it as a SB (Senate Bill)

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bil...or.html <br />

Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
One of many reasons we left Colorado was the old smog check.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
One more thing to worry about. Next thing you know they are going to ask you to pull them by hand to the campground.
What other states have smog checks?
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Nevada
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
In Colorado you have to go on a dyno.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've had to do them annually except for my 2006 skipped this year. Maybe the newer diesels are biennial here.

I've never complained about taking diesel, or the gassers in for the test. If anything is wrong, its almost always covered by warranty for the first 100K miles.

Certainly nothing wrong with clean air.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There is no vehicle inspection of any kind here in Florida. FL says you must "keep your vehicle in safe operating condition". Yeah right. I come from NY and PA where yearly emissions and safety inspections are required. In my opinion yearly emissions and safety inspections should be required by all states. Keep your vehicle in good repair or take it off the road, it's just that simple. There is no reason to be going down the road with broken glass or poor brakes. There should also be no reason to be going down the road in a cloud of smoke.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Is the smog check like the emmisions check on the gas bunner and does that mean you have to get it checked if you are just traveling through or staying for a couple of weeks?
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do not understand why you would need a smog check in California????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pud2

Is the smog check like the emmisions check on the gas bunner and does that mean you have to get it checked if you are just traveling through or staying for a couple of weeks?
So far as I know it only applies to state residents. Most all states have a reciprocal agreement that what ever passes in your home state also passes in any state you may visit. Same agreement applies to your driver's license.
PA has a very tough inspection when it comes to body cancer. NY does not. You see a lot of bodies just barely attached to the frame in PA and when you look at the plate, more often than not, they're from NY. When I first moved to NY I was surprised at the amount of body cancer I was seeing. If these same vehicles had PA plates you would only find them in a scrap yard or body shop.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
While I agree with the safety check and I disagree strongly with the smog check. We had the emissions stations and they were manned with incompetent people. I do not trust them with my vehicle. They were state owned and you had no choice. It was a money maker for the state. Thank goodness they are gone. I do not like to see a car going going down the road using a quart of oil per mile but these are few and far between around here. Most cars these days the emissions equipment is covered for a long time. No need to test them the first few years of life.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its just a way for States to make more money. And in most places if you pay the right person you have a sticker. Look at Cal it has the stongest emission in the nation. Still has wall to wall smog. But it burns off by 10:00 am . Just another waste of money. And yes most emissions are good for 5 years. Makes me crazy to take a veh in with less than a 100 miles a they say the emissions is good GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Florida did have it and they did away with it. People were borrowing tires from friend to pass, 3 hour lines and hot tempers. They had huge state run inspection stations and you couldn't go to the Jiffy Lube or any garage as in NC. Another form of revenue for the state that turned out not cost effective as to the end result. There as many unsafe cars here in NC as anywhere.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
All of you out of state people dont have to worry, it's the California residents that have to do it.

As fo borrowing somebody elses tires, that dont happen here in California, they check the VIN # on the vehicle and on the DMV Renewal slip, they check it, and it is sent electronically through the smog chec machine, after the mechanic checks the emmissions, that's if it passes.

What a mess. I'm sure glad I have a 96 vehicle.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
None in Texas yet for the diesels, but are considering it for the greater Houston area, the seven surrounding counties. Gassers have to pass a emissions control test in this area. Not sure about the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but think it to be the same.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Glenn--There should also be no reason to be going down the road in a cloud of smoke.

Take your brakes off Glenn!!!

No emission tests here in Nebraska as of yet! Guess we have to much open country and GOOD CLEAN AIR!! So far anyway!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey all,
I spent 3 years in Japan. Did not have a truck, but did have to automobiles. Inspections were yearly and the cost a minimum of $300 and up. It takes a couple of hours to inspect a vehicle. The pull wheels, all of them and check brakes, they drive up on to rollers and check the brakes stopping power. They inspect the speedometer on those rollers and it needs to read what their gauges say. Let's say that it is a very comprehensive inspection program. Right down to the manual gear shift if that is what you have. It has to be labeld with the gear shift pattern, or you fail. Now hear is the kicker. If it fails, it is your responsibility to go out in town and have it repaird. THEN, you start all over again, and the price is the same fork out as the first time.

Gee! Every time I get a vehicle inspected here in the United States, I smile.

Right HJK?

Semper fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
All vehicles had to be inspected at OEM level. If you added an additional mirror and it was not OEM it did not pass.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Keep your vehicle in good repair or take it off the road, it's just that simple. There is no reason to be going down the road with broken glass or poor brakes. There should also be no reason to be going down the road in a cloud of smoke.
I got a reason for ya. GAS PRICES! If you window is broken or your brakes are bad, get used to seeing it. We probably will be seeing a lot more vehicles on the road like this, due to higher gas prices and people not able to pay their insurance deductibles for rock chips and proper maitenence. I agree with you Glenn, everyone should be a safe as they can, but it's the lower income folk who will be problems on the roads. Sometimes we have to ask ourselves what would we actually do if we were in their shoes? Drive old delapitated junk cars so we can have more money in our pockets for our families. Their are a lot of people who wish we were off the roads as well. You have to be able to see through both sides of every window, in and out.
jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We lived in PA in our early days with the PA vehicle inspection program.. Just a few miles across the border from Ohio.We now live in Ohio. It was easy to spot a older car from Ohio..Rust, Holes, fenders doors flapping, smooth tires, Like Glenn says.A vehicle inspection program is a good thing.. The emission program was a good idea..gone bad..like it or not autos are one of the primary causes of polution..if not the primary cause. I am certainly not a tree hugger, That is Helen's job..but we have got to keep pollution under control. As for the lower income folks who struggle every day just to provide the basic needs. I see them every day and I worked among them for 4 years. They are the greatest folks attempting to survive under the worst of economic circumstances. I learned more from them about life than I ever did from the more affluent of us. If those folks lived in PA they would not have a car to drive to their low paying job and here in Ohio they are a hazard on the roads. The parking lot at the bus garage I worked at looked like a junk yard. As Jeff points out there are a lot of folks who feel that we adding to the problem by driving these fuel hogs and as long as folks like us are willing to pay the cost..the cost will keep going up. There is much more to the problem than inspection programs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote