Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Full-time Insurance? do you use/need it?

We are going to be full-timing starting in November of 07 and we were wondering, of all the full-timers out there, do you have full-time insurance on your rig. We will have an address, so insurance company won't know the difference. What are the advantages of full-time versus regular insurance. I know that some say " Have insurance to cover and slip on your site" like at your stick home. But what is the difference, when you are gone 4 months in the winter you don't have that type of insurance, and it does seem that RVers are not the type to sue you if THEY trip over your mat!!!!! Would love some imput as we are trying to get all our ducks lined up. Also on another subject...what do you do when you have a flat on your 5er. Does your insurance have roadside assistance? Thanks Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had our policy upgraded to full timer status when we started fulltiming (May 07). It essentially added the liability part of the policy, very little difference in price. Being a new RV'er, I want to be TOTALLY protected from the sue happy kind.

As far as a flat, you change it and stop as soon as you can to get it repaired. Invest in a bottle jack, I bought a 12 ton, probably overkill, but I had to change two tires on the way down from Alaska and it sure came in handy. A torque wrench is a good investment also. Used mine when I changes tires and use it on travel days to recheck lugs....

I would also suggest a set of emergency triangles or cones to place behind your rig if you get a flat. I had to change one on the side of the road, street side tire, and DW sood in back as a lookout. Not the safest practice but it worked....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have Good Sam's Roadside service. Just sign the bill and leave. Good for towing also.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I would not be without emergency road service. I use Coach-Net. Others use Good Sam ERS or AAA. I investigated them all and went with Coach-Net. I have had two blowouts on my rig and was totally satisfied with their service. They all take too long to get to your location, but I guess that goes with the territory.

On the insurance, I insure for how I use my rig. That way I can never be accused of a fraudulent claim. Shop for your insurance. There are huge price differences, but be sure to compare apples with apples.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You only need fulltimers insurance if you live in your rig 24/7/365. If you live in a stick house and just travel with your rig, your homeowners insurance should cover you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We full time and wouldn't be without full timers insurance. It is our home and we insure it like we did our sticks and Brick when we had it. We also use Good Sam for roadside service. The only reason we changed to that from AAA is the extended coverage that it provided when we went to Alaska. Haven't had to use it yet but we did use AAA and they were great.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just picked this up today at the FCRV rally.....www.anpac.com
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
We have Progressive Fulltimers Policy and it has 150,000/300,000, we have full replacement cost of the unit for the first five years, $500 deductible with no claims will will reduce 25% a year until $0 deductible, roadside assistance includes towing and 10,000 personal content. We are young rv'ers so it is really pricey. We pay $1,450 a year. It is insured in Missouri. If you have homeowners insurance it usually only covers a certain percent away from dwelling. You can still buy the fulltiming policy for your added protection. Some of us still have mailing addresses, we have to receive that paperwork somehow. We just use my Father-In-Laws address as a tax home and pay him a small amount of rent. Hope this helps.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
traveltunes..
why is it more expensive when you are younger. We are also on the young side( 50/48). How is everything with the new rig. All problems taken care of. Are you surviving the heat wave? We are in Mt.Shasta and it was 101 yesterday. Way to hot for the mountains. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877

Dandt:

We are 28/26 and the reason they told us was when you reach the age of 50 you will get the lowest rate of your life. Progressive said that is the peak age for insurance and then it starts to go back up as you get older due to the liability of an older driver. We have had a couple of different companies tell us that. Progressive was the cheapest for us. It will also depend on what state you live in. One company told me ie: if you live in Ohio you will get a better rate because a lot of the insurance companies headquaters are there and they compete for your business.

There isn't much of a heat wave here in Eugene, OR. Come on over and enjoy it. Beat the heat! That's why we decided to come here. I wish you cool thoughts.

As far as the new rig goes, we are trying to figure out a way to get it back to the factory in Indiana so they can do the work it needs.

Good luck with fulltiming and the insurance process. Safe travels.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you have a stick home your homeowners or renters insurance liability probably covers you even when you are not at home. If youare fulltiming then you may no longer have that coverage. Fulltimers gives you that liability coverage, as you know. You don't need it until you need it and then you'll sure be glad you do.

We also wouldn't be without roadside service. We have used Good Sam's service for years and are pleased with it. I can change a tire but not the flat we had in Oklahoma last January. I-35, on a sloping shoulder, flat on the downhill side. Rig 3 feet from the road. Semi's in both lanes rocking the rig.No way it will stay on my bottle jack. So we called Good Sam ERS and let them find someone to change it for us. Money well spent in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
As far as age and price I believe it is more where you underwrite your rig. I checked with progressive directly and found the 1300-1500 range. Went to a local insurance company Rapid City SD and found the same progressive policy cost was 850.00. That is one of the biggest reasons I stayed with a SD address. I save big bucks when it comes to insurance and taxes.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we were shopping insurance we found Progressive the best deal on the truck and National Interstate cheaper than Progressive on the Montana with fulltimers. I paid ours last Feb. $683 for a year, on a 2007 Montana with fulltimers coverage, full replacement for 5 years and disappearing deductible, etc. $500 deductible.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Went to a seminar on Full timers insurance this week. If you have a stick house you MAY be covered to some degree under that policy (check with your company) Our 3400 is insured on a rider on our home owners policy and the coverage is the same. If you do not have a stick house you must have full timers insurance..do not try to fool the insurance company by using a home you do not own or live in some part of the year..they are not that dumb. Using Steve S. cost as a example since he has the same 3400 we do the cost per year for full timers insurance is about double what ours is under thehome owners policy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
After the trouble we had going to the NE Rally and returning with our new Big Sky we bought the Good Sam ERS. Samuel said with an older truck, we can't be without it. We will be making a cross country trip to SD by way of VT and then on to FL the end of Aug.
I'm glad we have it. The idea of getting us to a campground if our tow vehicle breaks down was a plus for me. I don't like sitting on the side of the road. Our water pump had gone. On the way home the battery started to lose and we pulled off at the next exit
and found a garage where the mechanic cleaned our cables. Runs great now.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote