Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Louvered Tail gate - Camping World

Camping World has a Lovered Tailgate on sale for $199.00. I have been reluctant to buy one of these because I didn't think I really needed it. But a recent incident with golf clubs has me rethinking this a bit. Anyone have any experience with this particular unit? Is it a big deal to install? I have some tools with me. I hope I don't have to do any drilling but do have a portable drill and bits with me.

Is there any real weakness with this unit? Or is there a brand you would recommend instead?

http://tinyurl.com/2hvvov

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have one on my truck it went on in 20 min, It's so simple that even a cave man can do it.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Custom Flow brand, but same principal. The hardest part was carrying the original tailgate into the basement to store it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one of those. Never thought about golf clubs. We put it one to reduce the chance that some bonehead would back through the tailgate...
Goes on in Mins.The OEM one is heavy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I noticed on the 07 Chevy brochure that the tail gate has a device that assist in lowering and raising the T-gate. I have had the Lovered Tailgate on two other Chevy truck and will get the Lovered T-Gate on our new Dually when ever we get it??????? Will the Lovered T-Gate work on the 07s. I do think they are well worth the money, and a lot cheaper than the OEM Tail-Gate to replace. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
The new lifting assist is built into the tailgate itself, not the truck. Once you remove your new gate, you will be able to attach the after market gate just like you did on your previous truck.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks Dave, just didn't look close enough. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Be sure to get the heated version if you have an '07.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dean, by all means go for the Louvered tailgate, you won't be dissapointed. I have the steel version only because I can put my 200lbs on it and I'm not too sure I can stand on the plastic one.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
We have the Husky brand with the locking handle. It is heavy aluminum and can easily support me(240lb)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have that notched and louvered tail gate and are planning to go back to the stock tailgate this year, Two reasons. We have a bed cover and the louvered tailgate sucks in dirt when the cover is on. Without the bed cover the louvered tailgate hurts truck mileage. Of course the downside is I might back into the stock tailgate. I've done that several times with the lovered /notched one. However, I can't really see the louvered one all that well. The stock one has to be down to hookup or unhook.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As Dave indicated there is a negative side.. We have the fold-a-cover and with the louvered tail gate you can not lock it. It does allow dirt in as the bed of our truck and everything in it is now Arizona beige. When you are parked and the wind is from the rear our Fold-a cover will billow..It think with a strong enough wind it would rip it of the truck.. I would still get the louvered tail gate because sooner or later I would back through the OEM gate....however..I would NOT get the Fold- A- Cover again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We got one of those last fall when we were in Goshen. Easy to install - like it. Don't have any bed covers or anything on the pickup, so can't address those issues, but for us it works fine.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #14
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
I have the same tailgate and love it. Very easy to install it. The two things that could be improved are that you can not stand on it and that you have to lift the latch to close it instead of simply pushing the gate up.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is a photo of a tailgate that I made for my TV.

http://i16.tinypic.com/47bnho5.jpg
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Bruce:

Now that is poetry in motion. That sure looks OEM to me. I don't have those kinds of body skills. O really like the looks of it but it doesn't accomplish one thing and that is to reduce the weight. But that is avery minor issue.

I purchased the $199.00 Camping World Louvered Tailgate today as it was sturdier than I exepcted. Got it home and realized installing this thing was going to be a piece of cake. Unbfortunately I was hallucinating! :-) If won't fiteven after adjusting the latch. I'm going to have to lower the drivers side lower pin on the truck for some reason. I have about 1/2" to 3/4" less clearance between the pins on the left side vs the right side. Don't yet quite understand why. My regular tailgate fits just fine but I don't have it with me to re-measure. The top left side of the louvered tail gate is up about 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the right. That means the left lower pin must be too high. !@#$%^. Not sure I have adequate tools to move that down. Will find out tomorrow in daylight. Leave it to me to make something simple - difficult! :-)
Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #17
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Sorry the one you bought won't fit. It should just replace the OEM. 1/2" to 3/4" is quite abit to have to adjust. Hope you can get it right without too much problem.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dean,
If not, take it back to CW and look at the Custom Flow 5th wheel gates. I have one and love it. It is sturdy enough that I stand and sit on it while open and it latches closed like your OEM tailgate. No need to lift the handle, just shut it. These gates are made specific to each model of truck so the latches should already be in the right location.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
There is something that isn't Kosher about this. The whole bottom edge of the louvered tail gate is completely level with the bed of the truck. Yet the top left corner is a 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the left bed rail. I am unable to adjust the latch enough to make it slide on to the left top pin of the truck. I need to spread the top and bottom left mounting points of the truck to make it fit by lowering the bottom tube arrangement of the truck which will make the latch work and the top left will now be closer to level with the left rail. But when I do that the bottom edge of the louvered tailgate isn't going to be level with the bed of the truck anymore. Something doesn't compute here.

I am beginning to wonder if the manufacturer(Stromberg Carlson Products Inc.) has made a design error on the right vs the left. I say that because the right bottom flat oval pin on the truck is canted at about 45 degrees to allow removal of the OEM tailgate. Since this is canted at 45 degrees it allows the right side of the tailgate to be lower on the right side vs the left side mounting position which is a complete circle. But yet the bottom of the louvered tailgate is level with the bed.

I'll do some more measuring tomorrow but right now it sure isn't making any sense. Has this particular product been around for awhile? Vely Stlange!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #20
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
WOW!. Talk about quick responses from a manufacturer! I sent an email to Stromberg Carlson last night regarding the tailgate fit issue. Here is the response I received early this morning. On a Sunday and from one of the owners no less.

"Under the latch the model number of the gate is molded into the plastic. Does it day VG 97 2000? What is the make and year of your truck? I am worried the wrong gate got packaged in the right box or visa versy.

Bob Brammer
Stromberg
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld"

Impressive quick response. However the only numbers I could find under the latch were 6 24 06 2. Not a model number as he suggested should be there. Looks like a mold date to me.