Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, thanks for the information. I was pimping you on the acceleration bit because I know you personally. I still should not have done that. You're right, it's apples and oranges. From what I've read, the 6.4 powerstroke and LBZ duramax are nearly identical in 0-60 times but I've not seen any real numbers on that. It's not a big deal either way, anyhow, since I don't use the truck to run quarter mile strips anyhow.

My 6.0 goes to high idle after two minutes. I "think" it is only below a certain temperature but haven't really paid that much attention. I know it does it with temps in the upper thirties. I'll have to pay attention to this. I don't normally start it up and let it run that long except in cold weather so haven't observed what it does at higher temperatures.

I use the right side armrest so will have to see if the console will adequately work for me. Or maybe it's just certain seat/model combinations.

CJ-4 is the latest spec for oil, due to the new emissions requirements. It is available in most brands and probably will be in the others before many of these newer engines are on the road.

I see Bill Collier got his new 6.4 already. That surprises me since I'd heard they won't be available until March.

Ken, I hear you. I had an '03 6.0, too. A fairly early one. It had the stalling problem. It took a number of tries to fix that but it was a good one after that. This '05 is much better, considerably stronger.

However, I'm not sufficiently comfortable with it, given the past problems, to keep it past the 100k mile warranty. I'll hit that mark before Fall. My window for trading is when we're in the Kansas City area this summer, from late June to late July. My quandry is the Ford has a brand new engine, even though it has undergone 10 million miles of testing including a large number of miles done by real world people in their real world use. The Cummins is also a new engine, the 6.7. The Duramax is still the 6.6 but I understand has some major changes, enough that it nearly qualifies as a new engine.

So, my choices are to go with essentially a new engine or wait and trade later. I'm looking for everything I can read and everyone I can talk to with actual experience with them (hello Bill Collier and SueC - have already emailed with them) and will make my decision when the time comes based on, among other things, what I'm hearing about the new engines. If it were just based on numbers and strength of frame, etc., it would be Ford without a question.

GM's 3500HD SRW is available only in the longbox, with is a negative with me. But not insurmountable. Dodge's 3500 SRW crew cab's back seat area is a bit smaller than I'd like. So, I guess I'll keep on watching and reading for now.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:39 AM   #22
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Steve: You might still want to look into the Cummins. It is not a "new" engine as is Ford. It is a modified 5.9. 40 to 50 % of the parts are interchangeable. Cummins uses what is called a 'wet sleeve' design. The sleeves from the 6.7 would fit in my 5.9. What they've done in increased bore size by 5MM and stroke by 4 MM by remachining the crank. Then redesigned the head to accomodate the longer stroke. They've also put a 'variable geometry' turbo on it. And gone to a 350,000 mile overhaul interval. Harvester has been making diesels since 1959; their first was a modified 471 cu. in. gas engine. I drove them in their experimental stage. Cummins has been making diesels since 1929. If durability is important, you are from an area of the country where they farm sections like they farm acres around here in Indiana. They load their tractors to the max and run them full throttle day in & day out. I know of no "V" engines in any farm equipment. Just something to contemplate.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have the captains chairs on our 05 Lariat and our laptop fits nicely on top of the center consul. We do have the power sliding rear window and have never used it, same with the adjustable pedals.. they are redundant with power seats.will have neither on another Ford. IMO Ford had "the truck" in 05 but not "The Motor"(Diesel) Hence my V-10.Normally I would agree 100% about not going with a 1st year motor(6.4L) however Ford can not afford another 6.0 experience and have done extensive testing on the 6.4L. My experience with large complex computer systems tells me that no matter how much testing you do only "on line" real time use will cause any bugs to surface.. I have all the information we need on the 08 350, 6.L for now, I know what I would want, I know what I would pay (X plan) the only unknown is the 6.4 performance and reliability. IMO this will surface very quickly particularly with the 6.4's heavy use in the commerical truck market. For us the V-10 is exceding all expectations in terms of towing and every day driving so we would like to have a new truck...but we do not need a new truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 AM   #24
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Think I'll just keep my '04 D/A. It does everything I need it to do without "chips" or leaks or other problems. Do enjoy the various opinions on the "new" Fords, Dodges, and Bowties.
American auto makers are going to have to step up to the plate soon, or they are going to get run over by imports, case in point, Chrysler owned by Daimler (who is talking about putting Chrysler/Dodge on sales block again), Renault owns Nissan and is interested in acquiring an American company (Tried to buy Chevrolet last year and gave up, now eyeing Ford because of Ford's non-performance in the market place, and the fact that Ford junior and the Ford family treats it more as a hobby than a business).
All of our vehicles do a great job and our purchases are a matter of preference. We loved the Ford, but hated the seats because of my back. The '04 Dodge would hav been just fine with us also, but was so noisy that neither one of us liked it. The Chevy seats were great with the heat and lumbar adjustmnets, but I was very concerned about the "V-8" lay out of the Isuzu designed and built engine, which has become a non issue. I don't like the looks of the new Silverado, but love the looks of the new Dodge, I love the engine in the Silverado, but would not buy a new one, unless it was the GMC marque because of the Silverado front end look.
I like the new Ford front end but don't paricularly care for the side window treatment with the droop along the sill. Don't like the cab room in the new Dodge, but do like the quieter engine. (Dodge used to have the largest interior room of any truck on the market).
Just my opinions please don't take offense

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I probably could have gotten on that Ford a little harder, but not so sure the salesman would have liked it. LOL!

My Duramax is the LB7 (original design) motor. I know the LBZ screams past my LB7, so I am sure the Ford will probably take my truck once it is broke in. I do hope for Ford's sake, this new 6.4L will prove to be a strong motor. We all know Ford cannot take another blow like it took with the early 6.0L Powerstroke.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I do not envy you folks looking to buy an 07 truck...that's one reason I got the 07 Classic. As for changes, Ford is totally new, Dodge is pretty new, and the Duramax is just tweaked. If there was no reason to get a specific brand (employee discount, etc), just go with the one that you like best and where the best deal is located. Any of them will do the job.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Dave one quick comment on the power rear window. I have a 2005 KR Crew Cab. I live in Idaho. I have never had a problem with the rear window fogging up. I think the rear power window is one of the best options out there. The sun roof on the KR will open all or part of the way from front to back or the rear edge will tilt up about 3-4 inches. With the rear edge of the sun roof popped up it is remarkable how much you can adjust air flow through the cab by varying the rear power window and with very little wind noise. Openning that window on the go would be impossible to do without 6 foot arms.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use laptop on the console but have the captain's chairs. Different console, I think. I'm glad to hear it works with the split bench, too.

Bob P, I really like the Cummins. But we need more room in the back of the crew cab than the Dodge has. The Megacab is the largest around but the bed is super short. If Dodge had a good sized bed with a good sized crew cab in the 3500 SRW I'd be more interested. I agree the Cummins will outlast all the other pickup engines.

Bert, I hear ya on the new engines. On the other hand, I'd like one that is designed for ULSD so I don't have to worry about that. This summer I'll have to make a decision. Meanwhile it's study and learn as much as I can. I appreciate the input from all.

MS, I think I saw a couple new HD's today as we passed a dealer on our way back from Charleston. We were passengers so I did not stop and look.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #29
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I think I 'm like Bob here give me the inline 6 and the Cummins name on the side. Also if the real selling price of the new Fords is 58000.00 it will be a cold day in the basement before I buy one at that price. Thats just total insanity and I don't even know how Ford expects to sell trucks to the average working man at that price. Just my .02 worth Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #30
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Dave one quick comment on the power rear window. I have a 2005 KR Crew Cab. I live in Idaho. I have never had a problem with the rear window fogging up. I think the rear power window is one of the best options out there. The sun roof on the KR will open all or part of the way from front to back or the rear edge will tilt up about 3-4 inches. With the rear edge of the sun roof popped up it is remarkable how much you can adjust air flow through the cab by varying the rear power window and with very little wind noise. Opening that window on the go would be impossible to do without 6 foot arms.
I got to agree with Sweetfire on this one. I have used the rear window/sunroof combination quite a bit. Just be careful that the box is all cleaned out before trying this as I have had leaves and dust fly into the truck thru the back window if my roll up cover is rolled open.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
Thank you for your input on the rear window. I really liked the idea of having a power sliding window back there. Then in thinking about it, every time it rains or I jump in the truck during the snowy winters, my back window fogs up. I use the rear window defroster all the time during the winter, especially if I have folks in the back seat. Does anyone else experience this on their GM's??

Steve,
I bet you saw a few HD's. I swung through the local Chevy shop tonight again and asked a salesman where the new Duramax went?? They sold it yesterday. He expects to get their next shipment of HD's in by the end of next week.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:29 AM   #32
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi Dave, looks like you have had some fun checking out the new F-Series Ford. Do you or anyone on the forum know if you can get the King Ranch with a bench seat in the rear with the Chaparral Leather trim. Haven't been able to get info on the seating. Delaine likes the Chaparral Leather.....

Got to start planning on some type of TV after we sell the Chevy Kodiak, however it will be a year or so before we get back to traveling again. It will be hard to leave GM we have never owned anything but GM for a TV.. Thanks.....GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:19 AM   #33
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I have an 06 King Ranch with the rear leather bench seat. You must specify you want the bench seat on the order.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:52 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have driven all the diesels, Ford, GM, CMI in the 6 years we drove busses. They all seemed the same to this driver and never had any of them fail on me. The guys in the maint garage had their own personal favorites but when questioned hard on the subject the preventative and corrective maint records indicated that they all were about the same..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #35
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
The King Ranch we drove in Homestead Florida seemed to be loaded with everything except the sunroof and had a sticker price of 53,000 plus. Dealer wanted just under 60,000 to deliver. Wanted 500 dealer fee. Whatever that is. Power seemed good but need to put some weight on it to see how it performs then. Nice having the boost gauge in the dash.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #36
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Making the price of a Freightliner FL60 Allison transmission and 330HP Mercedes more attractive.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lindy,
The King Ranch I drove the other day had the bench in the rear. Was told the bench in standard on the King Ranch unless you specifically order the rear captains chairs. This is my first time I have actually held any kind of interest in a Ford Super Duty, so I am still in the learning process.

Rick,
You are right, the MDT are becoming more of a good deal as the top 3 LDT makers are raising their prices. The King Ranch I drove the other day out the door would still be well into the $61,000+ range. Got another price quote from Neely Coble on a pretty well loaded Freightliner M2, they are asking $92,000. I was told to make them an offer as they are looking to move some inventory.

Looking through the specs on that KR I drove, the new Montana's and Big Sky's are too heavy for it. The 3.73 rear end (only one available on the crew cab 4x4 SRW has a max trailer rating of 15,200 lbs and the GCVWR is 23,000 lbs. The MDT are really starting to look better and better every day.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #38
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks Dave, an others who replyed. I talk to Chevy dealer today and was made a offer to trade the c4500 for a 2007 Chevy 3500 with every option available. The dealership knows my c4500 Kodiak he ordered it and we bought two 2006 Chevy's from him in 06. However its not the newest version its the one that will burn the old fuel or the new type ULSD?????? MSRP was $49,609, and it this time can't order the 2007.5??????

However Delaine likes the 08 F-350 Kings Ranch edition, my problem is I have never owned a Ford product. Again I LOVE my Wife and I will keep her happy. I talked to General manager at a Ford dealership today, its a small dealer and was told he has sold the last two 08 F-350's the day they arrived. Was told it MSRP at about $58,000 plus or minus. Said I would have to order the King Ranch, 6 to 8 weeks. We will have to have a dually, and it will have all the bells and whistle's. I'm just not sure if I want to give up on GM, but I do believe GM is up to something. GBY...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #39
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Is there a problem with your Kodiak? I would think the Cambridge would be to heavy for the 350. or did I miss something?.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #40
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
No there is no problem with the Kodiak, we are in the Process of selling the Kodiak and the Cambridge. Due to the fact Delaine's Mother has a serious heart condition that requires us to not travel for some time. And we don't need this heavy of a Truck and we aren't traveling. We haven't decided on buying anything at this time. However we are just doing that thing called research. We pulled the Cambridge with the 3500 and was about a thousand over GCWR, and that was before we quit hauling all this extra stuff we didn't need. Our storage on Cambridge is very large. We now only carry Dish antennas and bicycle's, plus sewer hooks and air compressor. A properly equiped F-350 Super Duty will handle the Cambridge with no problem. The Dish Brakes mod made a great difference in towing the Cambridge. No the Kodiak is a Awesome TV. And the ride is like night and day difference between the 3500 and the 4500 the Air ride suspension and air ride seats. GBY..