Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Duramax Block heater cord

About 3 weeks ago I had my truck plugged in all night as the temps were down to single digits. (I have been plugging this truck in every night when the temps drop below 30 degrees since it was brand new) The next morning I went out to start the truck and the check engine light came on instantly.

I took the truck to the shop and they confirmed the SES light had been tripped. Here is what the shop did and the info they gave me.

"Found DTC P0181, performed diagnostic per DOC#1362396 and TSB 1822793. Found updated block heater cord and ordered part for customer."

There was a 3 week national back order on this part so I had to wait until yesterday to have it installed. The new cord STINKS! It has a built in thermostat that will not heat the motor until the outside temp is (0) zero degrees or colder. I want my truck to be warm in the morning, I want my oil warm and flowing easily. I want heat coming out of the defrosters like it used to as soon as I started the truck. Warmer fluids on cold start ups mean less wear and tear on the motor!!! Why is GM using this new (stupid) thermostat controlled block heater cord??

If this happens to anyone else I would make the dealer reset the sensor and see what happens from there. I posted this on dieselplace.com, wondering if anyone on there or here has had this happen to them??

This seems to be an isolated incident. According to the dealership, my truck is the first to have this updated block heater cord installed that they have seen.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well my truck is two year older than yours, so I don't know. They must have been having allot of problems to switch it. I never plug my truck in unless it's single digits.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
My truck is 5 yrs old and I have never pluged it in. Have been in temps -15 and never had a problem starting up.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Dave, I must admit I am among the non plugger inners. My truck stays in the garage where it is usually a little warmer than the outside temps. I just fire it up and let it run and come up to temp before leaving. Of course this is after pulling it out of the garage.
Did they tell you why all the sudden you were getting the CEL and had not gotten it before? I mean there is no way your truck knew there was an update.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I am one of the lucky ones who has a garage also so I don't even own a plug in. At work we plug all of our tractors in every night.(During season). The parking lot is on the other side of the fence where we park the tractors and some guys will plug their pickups in through the fence while they are at work. My dealer told me that probably wasn't necessary as long as you let it warm up a little before you go home. My question is Dave may I impose as to the cost of this cord with a thermostat?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Dave on problems with mine two yrs now. I do plug mine in I hate to see the oil pressure gauge that HIGHT at start up. But, I do use a timer at times so the heater is not running all night on those not so cold nights. I ran mine like many have to the tow hooks in the front to make it easy to plug in. Do you have an oil pan heater, looked for one of those last fall?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would like to have my truck in the garage, but the 07 Tahoe went in last March and my truck came out... The check engine light was tripped because I had the truck plugged in for 8 hours and when I started it up, the cold air coming in through the intake did not match the temp of the block, therefore tripped the temp warning sensor and caused the check engine light to come on. While in the Dakotas and Wyoming last winter, I had temps as cold as -19 without having the truck plugged in. It started right up the next morning, but boy was it unhappy. I like plugging my truck in when the temps drop below 35 degrees. Have you ever noticed on a cold morning when you start that baby up your oil pressure is running at 90psi?? I know GM claims the Duramax does not need assistance for start ups until temps drop below zero (0), but I know how hard cold weather start ups are on the motor.

The cost for the new cord, install, and computer reset was $325.85. I charged all of it to the extended warranty minus my deductible. I had it plugged in again last night as the temp was 9 degrees when I woke up. Went out to start the truck and again it was running cold as could be. The thermostat would not allow the cord to kick on because temps were not below zero... I think I am going to look into getting the "original style" cord put back in.. This one stinks!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I don't blame you Dave. Anything below freezing is hard on any type of engine and the ability to keep it warm should be my decision and not some gadget built into a cord.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, We have a campaign here in Anchorage which is "Plug at 20". It refers to plugging in your engine heaters when the weather drops below 20 degrees. It helps to cut down on emissions at the colder temps, However, the new GM's do not allow that to happen with the new and improved thermostatically controlled heater hoses. (Not operating until 0 degrees). a guy called in to the GM help show we have on local radio and asked the maint guy about that. He was given some gibberish about the onboard computer, and the fact that you don't need it until 0. If truth be known, I'd bet GM messed up on this and wasn't taking into account the emissions probs in colder climates. In your '04 you should be able to get a regular "non thermostatically controlled" cord. Good luck....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I don't own a GM product, but usually when it is really cold...like it is right now in the single digits and the sub-zeros, I start my truck at night if I plan on using the next morning....and I start it at least every other day...if I don't use it. Of course I have a remote starter with a delay on it, so I don't have to go out in this freaking cold weather to start it. Its been working great so far. I'll be starting it again tonight because it will be about 20 below with the wind chill and 1degrees regular temp. It starts and runs 15 minutes and the remote starter times out and the truck automatically shuts off. I'm not sure why that heater cord only starts to work at zero tempartures....i've never heard of that...its like not really having one...because it rarely gets in single digits and down to zero for weeks on end where you would need to hook it up. I feel ya though.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My dealer said not to even bother plugging it in until the temp gets to zero (which it never does here)...maybe he was trying to tell me it would not turn on anyway.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Dave, We have a campaign here in Anchorage which is "Plug at 20". It refers to plugging in your engine heaters when the weather drops below 20 degrees. It helps to cut down on emissions at the colder temps, However, the new GM's do not allow that to happen with the new and improved thermostatically controlled heater hoses. (Not operating until 0 degrees). a guy called in to the GM help show we have on local radio and asked the maint guy about that. He was given some gibberish about the onboard computer, and the fact that you don't need it until 0. If truth be known, I'd bet GM messed up on this and wasn't taking into account the emissions probs in colder climates. In your '04 you should be able to get a regular "non thermostatically controlled" cord. Good luck....
I got the same gibberish from the dealership as well on Thursday when I had the new cord put in. I am thinking of putting the front grill cover back on. I know GM says not to use it unless temps drop well below zero (0) for a constant 24 hours or longer, but I want the motor running as warm as possible as quick as possible. Guess I will just have to keep adjusting this until I figure it out or trip another sensor. Thanks for all the replies...
Old 02-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I have been using the grille cover since December. It really helps on the heat up of the cab. Would only use the bumper cover in a long stretch of below zero weather, which may be next week.

I use to plug in when the temp was in the single digits or below. Now truck is garaged and haven't needed to. A garage makes a huge difference. My next truck probably will not fit into a garage, unless I build it so it will be back to plugging in when temps are in the single digits or below.

Oh yes, proper winter grade oil is more important than plugging in, IMO.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Dave: I have to agree with you. I think you should be able to plug in your block heater and have it come on above 0 degrees, if you want to. I have 2002 Duramax and I plug mine in at night if it in the teens. I also use my front cover and I know it starts up easier and I have instant heat, which is always nice. I know it helps the engine to not have to start cold. I also park mine outside. I hope this info helps. Good luck with finding a solution to your block heater.

Ray
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #15
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Hey all,

I do not own a Chevy, but rather a Dodge. It did not come with a "block heater" option but I found that all newer Cummins have it installed at the factory, and after buying the cord from the dealer, I now have a block heater. The first morning I used it (around 10 deg) my CEL came on and stayed on. My OBDII said it was a battery temp error. I reset the code, only to have it come back on the next really cold day. I took in in to the dealer, who found a tech bulletin on the issue. They updated the software in the ECM and that fixed the issue.

Perhaps the same could be true for the Chevy?

Just a thought,

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Sunnyside Posted - Feb 25 2007 : 4:06:42 PM
..."block heater" ...error...I took in to the dealer, who found a tech bulletin on the issue. They updated the software in the ECM and that fixed the issue.

Perhaps the same could be true for the Chevy?

Jim
I don't think so Jim. A month ago I was into the my Chevy dealer and he was quite adamant that I should not use the block heater above 0*. Maybe someday they will make the change.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
Which Chevy shop are you using??
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Boy, I surely don't miss those years stationed in North Dakota where we had to plug in the truck's core heater, battery blanket and cabin heater.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
MY 03 ford came with block and battery heaters. the 05 Chevy with just block. I know I seen this issue discussed on dieselplace.com and its a computer thing and there was a flash to correct it but then 06s changed the cord like Dave got. don't know why but mine does not do it after they did a flash in dec 05 mine was made it apr 05. my book says below 20 I think.

Wonder why Chevy doesn't have battery blanks that is a must I think for 0 and below.

keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
When I picked up my Duramax last May, it was my first diesel. I asked the mechanic, who is considered one of the best diesel mechanic in N. MI, what about plugging in my heater? His response was quick and sounded authoritive. -20 before using it.

I recall that answer now that this thread started up.

No problem now, however. Current temp at 10:30 PM here in Central FL is 70. Suppose to drop to 66 for a low. Guess I'll put away my extension cord for one more night...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote