Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
Reese 16K hitch

Our 16K Reese hitch after three months of use seems to have more than normal gap where the legs rest on the rail across the bed of the truck. I can pick up on the hitch and it will raise up 1/8 - 1/4 inch where the leg rest on the rail. It could have been like this all the time. I pulled the four pins and removed the hitch and you can see the wear into the rail. Does anyone know if this is normal clearance.

pokypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have a 16k REESE and there is a small amount of "give" not much though....did who ever installed this reese hitch put the correct size pins in?? I can measure mine and post it if you need.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
My 16K is 11 years old no sign of wear as you mentioned.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
All four pins install real easy without much pressure apply. They seem to be the correct size. the play may be just normal play. I was just concern when I saw the little wear on the rail and could feel the play when raising up on the legs. Camping World installed the Reese.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mpl897

I have a 16k REESE and there is a small amount of "give" not much though....did who ever installed this reese hitch put the correct size pins in?? I can measure mine and post it if you need.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Check the bolts that hold the head mount bracket. If they are not tight it will give you play at the pins on the rail.When I want to get my Reese out I have to loosen the bolts to get play to pull the pins. Should be four bolts and nuts two on each side. My hitch will not move at all on the rails with me trying to move it by hand. If this suggestion does not work I would take it to another installer to get his opinion.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
timcarole

M.O.C. #4745
My reese hitch is four years old and it is as tight as when it was new.
timcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is almost 6 years old and doesn't have this play. I haven't checked in awhile but soon as the snow melts out of the bed of the truck I'll check again. Play like that would worry me. With the pinweight pulling and pushing on it it is bound to get worse. Possibly dangerously worse. You might contact Reese about this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
My 4 year old Reese 16K requires some effort to input the pins, they do not go in and out easily. You may have the wrong size pins holding the hitch in.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had a chance to check my 16K Draw-tite hitch..same as the Reese 16K..made by the same company.I did note that I could pull up on the hitch and get a little play where the pins attach the hitch to the rails..not much..but I could move it. I think the pins could be a bit larger but they are the pins that came with the hitch/rails.I have the Mor-Ryde pin box but at times note a bit of bounce..that could be a cause..will follow up on this.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
My 16K reese is a year old, and the has no play, the pins are real snug, which probably accounts for that. Will keep an eye on it in the future. will check again tomorrow when I unhitch my Tana after completing my service work.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have no play at all with mine and it's 5 years old. Pins go in fine sometimes I give them little kick with toe to get them in, but you cannot pull up on mine at all.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
Contacted Reese Hitch today and talked to the tech about the play in the pins at the rail. The play 1/16 - 1/8 inch when picking up on the hitch is normal. The pin weight of the trailer is to hold the hitch down where the play is zero. Reese said that the play is built into the rails and pin for stress relief.

I carried my truck to two different Reese installers and they confirmed that the play is normal in my hitch. This play is only in late models of the Reese 16K Pro hitches. The eye holds in the legs that fit into the rail are punched hold and not 1/2 or 5/8 inch and will not fit them snug.

I feel somewhat better now, but I am still a little worried. The Reese tech said that some people are shimming the legs to take up some of the play, but not necessary.

Thanks for all of your helps on this matter. This is a great bunch of people. Looking forward to meeting some of you someday
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well that answers the question. I have that much play and somehow do not feel that I should..however I am not a expert, in anything so I will take the experts reply.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote