Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
Montana_6186

M.O.C. #6186
Tire Pressure with New Montana

Our Ford dealer cleared us for the new Montana, said with a pin wt of 2200 we were getting close but would do ok for the number of rips we take.

As for tire pressure, should I run front and back at the max and then see how it pulls?

Thanks

Jason & Mary-Jane
2 Brittany Spaniels, Ranger & Molly
Proud Owners of a New 3295RK
'04 F250 Lariat Super Crew 6L Turbo Diesle

Montana_6186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
You definitely want to have the rear at max 75 - 80# as that's where your max load will be. The front, I recommend to start at 65# and then adjust to where you get the best handling. Keep in mind that rear shocks will also help in the handling and ride when towing. While others have different opions I would only put on the Rancho RSCX 9000. They have a life-time warranty and can be adjusted by simply turning a dial to tune your ride. I had them on my 01 F350 and will put them on my 06 when I replace the shocks. You may want to consider airbags as another means to improve the heavy rear load for handling and ride control.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Go with the tire pressures recommended by Ford. When the trailer is hitched up the rear tires will probably be inflated to the maximum for that particular tire. NEVER inflate above the maximum.

I also recommend the Firestone Air Bags. Most any 3/4 ton TV will squat a bit when the trailer is attached. The Air Bags can eliminate that squat.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Glenn, I have Firestone airbags on my F250, had them long before the Montana. I personally wouldn't be without them. I keep 65 psi. in the front tires and 80psi. in the rear when hooked to the trailer. If I'm going to be unhooked for any extended lenght of time, I lower the rear to 65psi., to make the ride a little more comfortable. As far as the air bags are concerned, I just keep enough air in them to level out the pickup, usually around 75psi on mine. Caution should be used here too and never inflate over maximum psi. with trailer hooked up.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When towing I run the max 80 psi in the rear tires. When in one location for a period of time while not towing I drop them to the recommended 65 psi. I leave the fronts at 65 all the time. Remember, when hitched up most of that pinweight will go on the rear tires. Depending on location of the hitch relative to the rear axle, it may put up to a couple hundred pounds of the pinweight on the front axle. In our case, the hitch must be a fraction behind the rear axle because our front axle weight is actually 120 pounds less than when solo.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run 80psi when towing all the way around. All 4 tires on truck and all 4 tires on coach.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Same as Montana Sky, 80# all around!
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I don't know very much about pickups,however, when I was looking at them before I bought my F350, NOT ONE called for 80# in the front tires. In fact, all of them were 65# or under. My bet is if you are running 80# in your front tires you are way over inflated and looking for problems. My 350 calls for 55# in the front and 80# in the rear. You truck/tire guys need to come and staighten me out now that I am confused. I guess I can check the mfg sites.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB SRW
2003 3575RL
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:55 PM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I use Timbrens to get rid of the squat on my 2500HD, no problems in 2 years. Also run 80 in rear and 65 in front. Ride is good.

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I don't know very much about pickups,however, when I was looking at them before I bought my F350, NOT ONE called for 80# in the front tires. In fact, all of them were 65# or under. My bet is if you are running 80# in your front tires you are way over inflated and looking for problems. My 350 calls for 55# in the front and 80# in the rear. You truck/tire guys need to come and staighten me out now that I am confused. I guess I can check the mfg sites.
Not so much trouble but most assuredly premature tire wear, a harsher ride and poorer handling especially in the rain. An overinflated tire will wear down the middle of the tread and lessen the foot print with the road. If you want the best inflation pressure have each axle weighed and inflate according to the tires spec for that particular load. Have a towing weight and a non-towing weight.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The front tires on my 05 F-350 Ford read Max psi 80 cold..same tires all the way around.My tire guy said the same as Glenn about inflating the tires according to the load but that would be a huge hassel and running at 80psi with the 3400 would be ok..I am going to drop the front down to 70 and see if I can tell any difference.We are satisfied with 80 all the way around now...

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Tires are springs and are part of a tuned suspension system. That's why the truck manufacturer specifies different pressures for front and rear tires, independent of the max pressure listed on the tire, based on the anticipated load.

Weigh your vehicle and check the tire manufacturer's website for the proper pressure for that load. Too much deviation from those figures will change the ride, handling, and wear characteristics of the tires, not necessarily for the better.

Bob

'99 Volvo / '05 3400RL
2 Shih Tzu guard dogs
1 lonely Siberian Husky
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The 80 PSI found on all our E rated tires is the maximum air pressure for that particular size and load range. If you are hauling the legal max load for the truck than you tires should be at the max of 80 PSI. When you are running empty than the pressure should be adjusted down accordingly. For those that insist on running 80 psi in the front tires loaded or unloaded are making a big mistake but it is your truck and you can do what you see fit.

Here's a piece I cut and pasted...

The Benefits of Correct Air Pressure
Keeping the correct air pressure in your tires is as important as giving your engine a tune up. The economic benefits are perhaps even greater! With the right amount of air pressure, your tires wear longer, save fuel, enhance handling and prevent accidents. The effects of not maintaining correct air pressure are poor gas mileage, loss of tire life, bad handling (perhaps even loss of control), and potential vehicle overloading.

Here is a tire load inflation table

Although this is a Goodyear site the load and inflation applies to all tires of the same size regardless of manufacturer.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sheiba1

Same as Montana Sky, 80# all around!
what he said

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We run 50# in the front and 80# on the rear loaded and empty. That was the recommendation in my owner's manual and I have not had a problem.

Gary and Karen
SFC USAR Ret.
MOC (4049)
2006 2950RK
2005 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison SB
16K Pull rite Super Glide
Prodigy brake controller

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did, so throw off the bow lines, sail away from safe harbor and catch the trade winds in your sails." Mark Twain
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sooooo confused...Iam...I am

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I don't want to add to the confusion, but I would like to say I agree with several statements I've read on this thread. Steve had a good example of why weighing your rig loaded is important. His front axle weighed less loaded. Glenn said those running 80 psi in the front are making a big mistake. I believe that. Bob said your tires are springs. That statement is absolutely correct. The sidewalls of our tires act as shock absorbers. The higher the pressure, the lower the shock absorbing capability. If the tires cannot absorb the initial shock, it is transfered to the hubs, besrings, axles, tie rod ends, and on , and on, and on until it is dissapated. All of this causes premature wear on the entire vehicle. I never have and I never will have more than 65 psi in my front tires.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
In days of old when bias ply tires ruled it was recommended to not put Max air in as the center of the tire would wear out, the new radials can withstand the Max pressure with no ill effects as far as running in the rain I can’t off hand remember the formula but the higher the air pressure in the tires the better they hold the road. when a pickup is running no load they have a tendency to be loose in the rain due to the lightness of the rear end but when running loaded whole different ball game. Max pressure for me all the way. Same things apply to semis when they run empty or with no trailer in the old days they didn’t even require front brakes and running a tractor down the road was a whole different experience for the new drivers, especially in the rain they had to be loaded to be safe or they would do donuts every time you touched the brakes.

Square root of tire pressure X 9 = speed tire will hydro plane at. I knew if I checked enough of my books I would come up with the formula!! So at 80 psi sqrt = 8.944 x 9 = 80.49 mph my tires will break loose, seeing as I typicaly drive on the freeway at 65 I'm pretty safe.
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, I don't know about any mathematical equations all I know is what ALL tire manufacturers, who I consider the real experts, have been saying nearly since the first pneumatic tires were developed by John Dunlap, founder of Dunlap Tires back in 1887. That and my many years of working experience in the tire wholesale and retail business.

Quoted from the Dunlap Page..
Quote:
quote:Tire footprint and traction are reduced when van, pickup or RV tires are over inflated for the loads carried. In particular, tires with aggressive tread patterns may contribute to oversteer or "roadwalk" if inflated beyond the inflation pressure specified in the Owner's Manual and vehicle placard for standard or customary loads. Over inflation also increases the chances of bruise damage.
And I could get like quotes from many many other tire mfgr web sites.

"In days of old" and even today yet, in the tire industry, it is and has always been a known fact that the higher the pressure the less tread on the road.
The less road contact the less traction and the greater possibility of hydroplaning.
With less road contact the faster the tire will wear down the center of the tread.
Over inflation also creates a much harsher ride.
This applies to all tires, be them bias ply, belted, or radial ply.

I have just one thing left to say...I will take many years of experience in the tire industry over any scientific mathematical formula.
I have no idea where sheiba1 got his formula but this whole tire discussion is not unlike the RV industry. Think about what our RVs would be like had 'experienced' RVers actually designed them and not some collage educated design engineer who never spent a night in an RV.

ENUFF SAID!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wellll ..My tire guy and good friend who has always maintained our cars, trucks and campers has always independently echoed the replies of a resident tire expert on this forum/ I being a expert in little if anything tend to go with the expert and the guy who has experience in the field.It is good if they are both the same guy..

Mor-Ryde Pin Box