Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Extra freezer in Monty

I'd like an extra freezer for the Tana as I, like many others, sometimes cook way too much. Also would love to have room for the occasional roast, or chicken that was on sale and maybe even a TV dinner or two. If you carry one, let me know you like it, where you got it and where you have it in the Tana. I could make room in the washer closet but that's the only place I can think of. Thanks all!

Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are going to get a freezer and the W/D closet, if you don't have a W/D installed is the logical place to put it.Sears has one that is just the right size..Can't remember the model number right now.Have no idea where one would go if the W/D is in the closet..we have the 3400..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We bought a five cubic foot freezer at Lowe's a couple weeks ago. Have to do some rearranging when the slides come in but it has found a home next to the LR slide, fits perfectly.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Charlie, are you putting the freezer next to the corner cupboard, or back near the desk??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol,
We don't have the corner cupboard like Steve and Vicki. Ours has a rectangular cabinet about 10" deep with two doors. We conceded that we would not store anything in there as long as the freezer is in place. It would have been in the way when we had to repair the "great leak" in the RGV.

We either remove the back from the Lazy-Boy, set it on the sofa and move the base between the slides or leave the chair set up in front of the freezer or can use the kitchen slide out only for short stops on the road. Any of the three options allows access to the kitchen and bathroom.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, gotcha Charlie, I have the same corner as Steve R. does, not like yours. Thanks for the clarification
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I figure, if you have an electrical outlet installed in your "basement" that would be a good place for it. Same difference as having a fridge/freezer in the garage of a stick house. Plus, a good place to keep some beers ice cold
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Kim, if you took out one of your recliners, you could place it in the curbside corner by the rear window. If you covered it with a nice table cloth, you'd have a great lamp table or plant stand. I have a heavy duty wicker 'box' (cube)the size of a small freezer that sat where one of our recliners sat in that same area. There's also an electrical outlet there. Of course now that we've rearranged our furniture, our cube is next to the sofa.

Freezers are a very popular addition to rvs. Once you're settled, you can set it up outside. That's very Alabamian to have appliances on the front porch.

I like the idea of putting it in the basement, if you have room.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Kim, We bought the 75lb Norcold ref/freezer from camping world. We leave it on the freezer setting all the time John made space for it in the bedroom closet and ran a 12 volt and 120 volt cord to it. That way when we are moving and not connected it will run on the battery. It has served us very well since we have been fulltiming. I have only had to defrost it once.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I bought a 3.9 cubic ft. Avanti and put it in the W/D closet. Works great. I needed the extra space when fishing is good.
I bought it at the Rex Store.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #11
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks for all the great suggestions and information.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:13 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SKOOBDO

I figure, if you have an electrical outlet installed in your "basement" that would be a good place for it. Same difference as having a fridge/freezer in the garage of a stick house. Plus, a good place to keep some beers ice cold
Allison, have you done this? I am wondering what size freezer you can get in the basement.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have a 5cuft Sears freezer in our W/D closet--fits perfectly. Put a vent in to the outside and have a computer "muffin" fan in the vent to draw the warm air outside with an On/Off switch. It help keep hot air from building up in the closet and then the bedroom.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
sprik, I guess it all depends on how much room you have in your basement. I have plenty of room left over, even with a Televison in it. I don't have a freezer in mine, but if I "ever" needed one, I have the room for it. You got to remember I full-time alone, and I don't cook gourmet meals so maybe with two people you might have more stuff stored in there. I've made good use of all my space, and have plenty room left over throughout my unit. I have a Washer/Dryer Combo in my W/D Closet and would not have room in there of course. But, if I needed an extra freezer I would put it in my basement for sure. Thinking about this whole thing, I just might buy an extra fridge (a small one) and put it in the basement to store food and drinks for when I'm cooking outside. Now, that's not a bad idea at all and that will work for me for sure. Saying that, I will be looking for one very soon since it's getting into the warmer months. One thing I hate doing is going in/out of the trailer for something that I could already have outside. It would work really work good for anything that needs to be maintain cold...like potatoe salad, hot dogs, bologna, soda, marshmallows/chocolate for smores at night ...and of course BEER! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also have thought about putting the freezer in the basement as well. Since it is just me, I figured if it cant go into the main fridge or freezer then forget it. I do not need it. I was at Costco tonight and found the perfect little fridge to keep the beer and pop cold. Since I currently do not have the washer/dryer, it will go into that closet when I go back to purchase the fridge.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:26 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I really would like to have a freezer before we get to Alaska for all the fish we would like to get but there is no way I could squeeze one in without giving up something else, so I guess we will just have to eat the fish. )))))

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
No way, Helen. If you catch your limit of halibut in one day (2 per person) you won't be able to store what you caught. Add ot that salmon, and you're going to have to become a street vendor and sell that extra fish.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Allison and Dave, what size freezer can you put in the basement? I'm trying to vizualize this.

Also, just curious on the amp pull on the battery that these units pull if you don't have shore power? I don't think it would be a lot - as long as you weren't trying to cool down from room temp... just in maintaining the temp.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
If I go back and pick up the fridge, it will not be used when not hooked to shore power. I am planning on using mine as a beverage center, if I shut it off for transport, nothing in there to really worry about.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #20
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We bought an Avanti 1.4 cu ft. feezer/combo. Takes only 1.2 amps. Fits perfect under the desk (which is not used that much). $132.05 + $29. shipping (did't have to pay tax). From Compact Appliance in Austin, TX.
Cost $23.00 yr. if left on. I will fill it up before we leave in Oct. and by the time most meat is used up will turn down to refrig. for pop, etc.
Actual freezer space is equal to the freezer in 5th wheel. No venting needed.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote