Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
More Power

As stated in previous posts, the wife and I will be full timing for the next 5 months, until our new house is built. I think we have the water line problem figured out, for freezing that is, we will find out in 2 weeks when we start, but now I have anohter question. Since we are going to be parked in a driveway, we will be plugged into house current, so we are talking 15 or 20 amps. Any ideas on how to get more power without any major modifications? Also, how much stuff will we be able to use safely? I am looking to get my fridge, hot water, and of course lights and TV out of this. Living in NY, air conditioning is out, and I can live without the fireplace too, although it would be nice as another heater. We are also thinking of running a space heater from time to time through the hamper hatch to keep the water lines toasty. Is this all going to be possible with 20 amps? Again, if I can get more amps safely, and without major mods, that would be great.

Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
You are going to need more than 15 amps to do what you want. Do you have an electric panel near by? Any electrican could add a 30 amp breaker (if there is room)with number 10 wire for your rig. An electric space heater will take nearly 15 amps by itself. Good luck building your new home.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think your going to have to run 30 amps from your main pannel. One option might be to use your dryer wiring and make an adaptor plug to allow you to plug your trailer into it. The dryer will be 220 so you will have to only use one side. This is a thought and the knowledgable electricians will have to tell you if you can safely do it. As stated your going to need more than 15 amps.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
OK< it is easy to add a breaker and run a line, I can do that, my next question, if I add a 30 or 50 AMP breaker to the main panel, will that put a tax on the power system the house??
Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ok, if you are in freezing conditions, be careful how much you use a secondary type heater as it will take heat away from your underbelly. when using the furnace, you have some heat that goes into the underbelly, but if you use a space heater, it will keep the thermostat fom kicking the heat on and prevent the heat from keeping your water lines from freezing!!! becareful
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:29 AM   #6
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Thanks for the tip billy, I have heard that already. I only plan on using the space heater in the storage area under the bedroom, there are water lines in there and no heat. Occasional use in there should not affect the heater too much at all.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I did the same thing that you are wanting to do except I was in Texas during July, August, September and October when building a house and A/C in the trailer was definately required along with 30 amp service.

Supporting Daneboy's reply.....a 30 amp breaker with #10 wire would be ideal to use. I don't understand why you want to use a space heater in the belly, looks like this might present a fire hazard. I would use the RV's heater as it is designed to heat the underbelly and will do it more efficiently than a space heater. I suggest running the hot water heater on propane also, this will reduce the amp load. By using these two items on propane you might be able to get by with 20 amps. A volt meter plugged into one of the wall sockets on the Monty's interior will allow you to monitor the electrical usage. You could do this as a test before installing a new breaker and wire to see if this option is feasible.

As far the difference in cost of using electricity....my opinion is that it would be cheaper to use propane unless you are setup at a CG where you have prepaid for the cost of the electricity with your CG fee but you say you will be parked on a driveway and paying for the electricity.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #8
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I dont plan on using a space heater in the underbelly, I was thinking of putting one thru the laundry shute into the storage area, and only run once in a while, not going to use it a lot or for long at all, and this was just an option. As for the 30 amp, I am going to look at the breaker box tonight and see if there is room and it can handle the load, if so, I will spend the hour running the wire and hooking to 30 AMP, it is easy enough to do, so why not do it.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
From what you have said you want to run, you will most likely need to have a 30 amp service. You haven't said anything about a coffee pot or hair dryer. A lot of small appliances use a lot of amps. On our way down to Florida, we stayed at the oldest son's house and plugged into his garage on a 15 amp service. The only thing we used was the TV and lights. Each morning we used the coffe pot and toaster and didn't have a problem. We used propane for the water and cooked on an outdoor grill, which we still do a lot, so we didn't have any problem. From what it sounds like you are doing, it would be safer IMO to hook up to a 30 amp service.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I vote for adding a 30 amp outlet to plug the rig into.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Kozzy45 do a search for 50amp service you will find your question there. Depending on how far you are running wire out to the camper will make difference on what size wire you will need to carry the load. If you have a standard household panel with either 150-200 amp service and not running a lot on it while using your rig you can add a 50amp service without any issues. just make sure you use big enough wiring to handle the loads 6AWg or #2 wire is preferred. Do search under improvements I think or Technical issues for 50AMP Service.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I had a 50 amp installed @ our house.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
http://www.myrv.us/Pgs/RV/50amp.htm, did the search for you kozzy45 this is link you need to help you and install a 50 amp service outside at your rig, just add a 50 amp 2 pole breaker in house panel if it can handle the load most can depends on power box. I did it this summer, my issue was had long run 150 feet had to run #2 Mobile home service wire from House 50 amp breaker to the 50 amp service outside box I got from Home Depot. I could have use 6gauge put was cheaper to run the mobile home wire which does not need conduit and can be direct buried under ground. Lot cheaper that way but sure is mess to deal with stiff is not the word in working with #2 aluminum wire. this topic was under General discussion back in August under 50 amp service.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
kozzy45,
If I needed the power right NOW I think I'd run an extra extension cord into the coach. Those little electric heaters will draw a lot of amps. Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #15
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Well, without me knowing, my Father in Law had an elevtrictian run a 30 AMP service to my Rig, when and checked it out yesterday, so it seems my problems have been solved. Thanks for all the tips. At the new house, I am also having them install 30 AMP service by my garage, when it is built. My rig is 50 AMP, but I figure for what I do at home with it, 30 will be enough.

Thanks Again!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #16
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
if your going to run electric anyway for the new house, I'd go with the 50 amp. it won't be that much more.