Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #1
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quest unit

I kow this has been dealt with before but i thought i would say a little about it. This is on of the first things i did after getting set up was to check out the surround sound thanks to this forum and some of the problems you have had. The sound was horrisble but after checking it out i found that just about all of the speaker connections were wrong and not hooked up right accordding to location and even doubled up on some. I got all of this straight and then went into the set up of unit and it was not right either. You have to have all of the settings done right for the 5.1 to work correctly and to adjust each speaker to the right level. I have to say after all this was done it does not sound to bad for a unit of this caliper. I know that there s better and have heard better but i am pleased with it. Maybe you can check all of the above mentioned and see if that works for you. Youn cannot adjust the surround speakers if you have the downmix in on position. Could and hope this helps with some fustation.

pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:03 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks for the information. After continuous tries to get ours fixed, I gave it to my grandson for his dorm room. we installed a Sony DVD/am/FM 6-CD changer in its place. We used the wires that were already there for the two speakers over the sofa and table, but replaced the rest. Currently the other speakers (3) are to the rear of the desk. I'm not ready to tackle changing the speakers over the TV. That would encompass removing the TV, Fireplace, and cutting the holes a little larger. It was much simpler to go thru the wall with the wires to the desk. I used Velcro to hold the speakers in place. The woofer replaced the one for the quest player. A lot of difference. We currently have the Sony on the bottom, then a VCR player, and then the Direct TV Satellite receiver in the cabinet secured by the velcro strip that held down the quest. i had to add an extension of Velcro to make all of them fit. They do not move a bit when traveling. There has been a lot of information on the Quest systems and some of us have just given up on them.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crewcab with Duramax
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
pud2..I am adding that to my list. We will be at the factory Oct 4th. We will be wanting to see how and who, installs the system and why a lot of them are not installed properly. Also on our list is the water pump installation..we have a very long list of things that we want to see first hand on the line.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
pud2 we did everything you mention but like Ken replaced ours with a Sony and now have excellent sound. We are using the existing speakers except for the woofer. Besides difficult operation, bad sound, and having to reset all the time, we had no AM radio reception. With the Sony we have both AM and FM with great quality.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:43 AM   #5
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Ken what was the model no# of sony system and the sub woofer you replaced.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ken

Thanks for the information. After continuous tries to get ours fixed, I gave it to my grandson for his dorm room. we installed a Sony DVD/am/FM 6-CD changer in its place. We used the wires that were already there for the two speakers over the sofa and table, but replaced the rest. Currently the other speakers (3) are to the rear of the desk. I'm not ready to tackle changing the speakers over the TV. That would encompass removing the TV, Fireplace, and cutting the holes a little larger. It was much simpler to go thru the wall with the wires to the desk. I used Velcro to hold the speakers in place. The woofer replaced the one for the quest player. A lot of difference. We currently have the Sony on the bottom, then a VCR player, and then the Direct TV Satellite receiver in the cabinet secured by the velcro strip that held down the quest. i had to add an extension of Velcro to make all of them fit. They do not move a bit when traveling. There has been a lot of information on the Quest systems and some of us have just given up on them.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
What Sony model are we all using??? I like Sony
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
It is DAV-DX150. It is 800 watts which is too much for the speakers if you play it full blast. That was our kids. LOL We kept the existing speakers but will eventully replace the ones in the slide.
Happy trails.................
Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #8
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Hi Ken, we have the same set-up and even though we finally got it working i am not totally satified with the sound. Just curious what the cost was for the Sony system....thanks, Les
Quote:

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Ours cost just over $300 but the one I had originally picked out was like $275 (600 watt) at Best Buy but they were out of that one so we went with the little bit larger unit.
Happy trails........................
Old 09-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
The sony DVD we purchased was a Sony DAV-DX150. It has DVD which plays in Surround sound, AF/FM Stero, and A CD player that has stacked 6 CD's. It comes with 6 speakers, two, was hung replacing the origional speakers over the sofa and table. The other three is secured on the desk. The wofer is in the same place as the quest was. We purchased it a Best Buy for $299.00.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC Crew cab with Duramax

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pud2

Ken what was the model no# of sony system and the sub woofer you replaced.
Quote:

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 AM   #11
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Sony DAV-DX150

$219.99 + shipping at Amazon.com

http://shopper-zdnet.com.com/Sony_In...by=50&sort=asc

HTH,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Apparenly there is a Quest 3000 in the works, maybe they will get it right this time.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
All the plastic mounts for my speakers cracked after about a year. I replaced the mounts with a better quality kind from Radio Shack. They seem to hold up much better and are rugged. I to changed the stero system to a nice Panasonic (CD, DVD, Surround Sound, Am/FM receiver). I still use the original speakers however with the better mounts.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote