Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
entry steps

Diana took a fall on the entry steps coming out of the Montana this afternoon. Aside from exercising caution when on the steps is there anything that can be done to enhance the safety factor. We have the fold out handle on the outside. I have seen the step covers but don't know if that may do more harm or not. She has had recent back surgeries and I would like to keep her as safe as possible.
By the way we think she is OK this time.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OH, dear, well, we are surely glad she was not hurt badly!

We recently added the carpet. We got the ones at CW, found black, kinda liked that color. Feel that it makes it less slippery, feels more stable. They gather at the back (underside) of the step, and I don't see a trip hazard there. Be sure to measure your step and get the correct size.

Some others have made their own, do a search here, surely at least one other discussion on this will show up.

Take care, very glad Diana is OK.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Took a spill shortly after getting the rig on a wet slippery step. Like Al & Carol we also carpeted ours and haven't had any other problems.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
We have also put carpet on our steps -- helps eliminate the "slip" problem as well as catch some surface dirt from soles of shoes keeping Monty a bit cleaner. Well worth the investment!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Glad to hear Diana is okay! Falls of any kind are dangerous after surgeries. We have had carpet pieces on our steps from day one and heartily recommend them. I am an amputee and cannot feel the steps the way the rest of you do. Wet steps are especially hazardous and the rough carpet surface affords much better grip. Also, be wary of sandals and shoes with super smooth soles. Unless Diana's PT regimen requires smooth soles, she might be safer in shoes with texturized soles--good walking sneakers for instance. Just be sure that whatever is on her feet meets the PT requiremnets. Happy travels--and stay safe.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Glad to hear she is ok.
We have the carpets and they work great. We got a "step saver" also which gives the steps more stability.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We have the carpet steps too, we love them. But if you would rather have something else, what about those black things that you get at the boat stores. You could put them on your steps too. They come in various lenghts and widths. They do a great job of preventing slips also. Be safe.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We put on some of that glow-in-the-dark non-skid tape. Any of the good non-skid tapes have a rough surface that will help with traction. I think the aftermarket self stick ones are better that the little bit of traction material that is put on by the manufacturer.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I am so sorry to hear about Diana's fall. I have had 4 back surgeries and that is my worst fear. Paul put covers on the steps. But it is up to me to pay attention to what I am doing. Because I am so afraid of falling, I am constantly looking down when I am going in or out. I always have ahold of the outside handle and the inside handle before I even take a step. The bad thing about the back is sometimes the injuries don't show up right away. I have no feeling in my right leg at all. So I have to watch where I step at all times. Sometimes it will go right out from under me. That is always fun and entertaining.......But I just have to watch myself at all times now. I would cover the steps for one. Then because Diana knows how it feels now, I think she will be much more cautious. Take care. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
So glad that Diana's fall wasn't more serious. I read about a woman who had multiple broken bones from a fall out of the trailer. We must all really be careful when going down the stairs. They're a real potential hazard.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have seen small lighted extensions you can buy for your RV steps that would make them a little bigger. But for the life of me can't remember where I seen them. We have carpet on all but the botom step and it seems to help the sliping with damp feet in the morning hours.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:27 AM   #12
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I got this hint from someone with a bad back. They told me when you exit, go out backwards. You can reach the handle on the side easy and the first step is easier to reach.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote