Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Replacing Keys

Over the weekend, someone broke the window out of our truck to get the radar detector and also gotour set of Montana keys. Do all RV dealers have the same keys, or do I need to go to Montana dealer? Our dealer is twenty miles away and there is a non-Montana dealer right down the road. Unfortunately, some people can't keep their hands off of other people's stuff.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Don't you have another set that you could take and have new ones made
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron and Terry, sorry to hear about your trouble. You can go to any RV dealer and get a complete new set of keys. The only problem you might run into is if you had the deadbolt locked, then they will have to go up thru your laundry shoot to unlock the deadbolt.Hope you can get it fixed before the thief figures out that he has the keys.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
It's a shame things like this has to happen...I hope you fine the person or person's responsible.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Montana dealer will have only the locker key. Not the door key. He will have a master you can use to get inside if you locked only the top lock, not the deadbolt. You can get in by forcing open a locker door with a long screwdriver, then crawl up through the laundry chute. Been there, done that.

Once inside, if you take off the screws off the black handle unit on the door, inside there is an 800 number and a key number. Call, give those folks the numbers and a credit card number and in less than a week you should have two new keys. Been there, too. Ours cost less than five bucks including shipping. That was back in 2002.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for the response. Sriegle - I have the other set of keys with the key # on it. Can't they give me a key to match that #? Inquiring minds want to know. Unfortunately, we drove from Illinois to Omaha, Ne. for my Mom's 80th birthday, and it happened at the motel. Don't have those problems at the campground - at least not the ones we've been to. Since we don't keep the RV at home, there is little chance the thief and the RV will ever meet. In the unfortunate case we would meet when I am there, they will need a stretcher and a sheet. Not that it upset me or anything.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron,
We simply took our keys down to a local key store. They had the blank they needed and in just a matter of minutes we had a replacement keys. Cost was nominal wait was none and we were happy again within minutes. Keystone dealer did not have the blanks would have to order them!

Hope they catch the scum that did the deed.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:31 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Ron and Terrie,

Sorry about the truck break in.

We did not get broken into, but we did once drive from Ontario to Alabama where our trailer was in storage, only to discover that we had left our trailer keys at home! Intially we borrowed a locker key and crawled through to open the door from the inside. Later a locksmith came out and made us a new set of keys on the spot. Cost a bit, but was pretty quick and easy, plus the locksmith gave us lots of tips about places to see and visit.

Good luck, having met you, I would not want to be the thief, if you ever catch up with him!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Rames14, The key #'s on the keys and in the door as Steve suggested are code #'s for remaking new keys to work with the cylinder in your lock. As long as you have the correct Blank and the right cut #'s for the cylinder, anyone who cuts keys manually, (a locksmith, local hardware store), should be able to remake you a new key. Sorry to hear about your breakin. Good luck.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with the others. I lost ALL the keys when on the way home from the dealer on delivery day so had no key to match to and assumed your boat was similar. Hopefully by now you have a new set.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Now I have heard (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this) that those plastic wallet spare key things are designed so that when you insert one into a lock and turn it, it actually cuts the key to fit that lock.

If this is in fact the case, then one of these wallet things would do in a pinch to at least get you inside your unit (or vehicle).
Conversly, if this is the case, none of our vehicles or RV's are safe, since anyone can pick these wallet keys up at any hardware store for a couple bucks!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
None of the plastic type wallet keys I've had are NOT ones that "cut" themselves when inserted into lock. Rather they are precut and then simply stored in your wallet in case of need. I can't imagine such a key as you described being allowed on the market. It would be a thieves holiday!

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
That's what I first thought too RVWheels... I couldn't believe such a thing would be allowed. I don't remember where I heard this but I thought "you know this is just crazy enough to be true"...I thought that maybe it was something that wasn't well known - there are a lot of surprising "little known facts" and some of them are downright scary!

Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote