Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Weak Braking

I have a 2006 Ford F350 with factory brake controller.

The braking is now very weak. I have even set it at 10, and brakes on the trailer do engage, but lightly. I pulled the emergency brake cable on the trailer, and I cannot move the trailer (Brakes locked as advertised.)

So my guess the problem is in the truck? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would check the brake adjustment. In the spring I always jack up each wheel one at a time, pull the breakaway switch, and rotate that wheel go make sure it locks, ensuring all brakes are working. But last year I noticed braking was weak when towing even though my "testing" had shown the brakes working. Jacked the wheels again and checked brake adjustment. Loose. Adjusted each brake and braking action was much much better.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I replaced my LCI drum brakes with Kodic Disc brakes. Makes a world of difference
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
The brakes on the Montana are fine. I pulled the breakaway and the trailer wheels lock up. I suspect it is probably the tow vehicle.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Check the wiring on the connector for the trailer. Make sure there isn't any corrosion on the connector and you have a good ground from the truck to the trailer. It may be that you aren't getting enough current to the brakes from the truck.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Well I just dropped it off with Ford. Next month towing Montana to West Virginia. Need to ensure all is well.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Didn't you just get new brakes put on yout fiver? It takes about 50 miles to burnish in the brakes ... till then they will be less than desired. Did you do the burnishing in process right after you picked up the fiver or did CW even mention it? Like mentioned earlier adjustments ... does each wheel have a slight drag when spun while jacked up? With a clamp on ammeter around the blue wire in the JBox inside your pin box, you should read about 12 amps when manually setting your brakes in the driveway (@3 amps per brake magnet) Other than being greased up ... did your brakes work better before CW did the "voo doo that they do so well"?
PS ... pulling the break away switch while sitting still and stopping power coming off speed with a 12K + fiver won't determine much as you're comparing apples to oranges.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Well I just dropped it off with Ford. Next month towing Montana to West Virginia. Need to ensure all is well.
Well 1/2 way to Myrtle Beach my Ford factory brake controller decided to stop working when coming off Interstate 95 for diesel. That was fun. Called all the ford dealers and the only one that had one was almost 200 miles further down the road. That was even more fun driving there. $450 later for part only, back on the road, it just clips in the dash with 2 quick connect plugs. Safely now we finished the journey. After we got to Myrtle Beach I took the thing apart and found the manual slide lever and variable side resistor shorted out after it came apart inside. I was really surprised how well the truck brakes slowed or stopped the whole rig. Yes yes I know, I drove slow with plenty of space in front of me.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Pickup up the truck from Ford this morning. What they found was a fault code (short to power). They cleared the coded, then tested system. All OK. They explained when there is a fault code for the brake controller, braking is blocked out. Brought it home, hooked up the Montana and performed a drive test. Now have good braking.

Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Glad you had success ... I was afraid we were going to wade in to another CW horror tale.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Regarding the driving for 50 miles to get brakes broken in, that must include some amount of braking. I would think getting a brake job, then taking a 50 trip on the Interstate isn't what you need. Some amount of deglazing would occur since the shoes should be in contact with the drums or discs but, don't forget to include some amount of easy braking, too (no hard stops, either).

It's what I've been told and what I do after new brakes and I get great life out of my brakes, so it must be working.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote