Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #1
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
hitch plate removal

I was going to write/phone Keystone with this question but thought I would share it here first.* Frequently, I need to remove my hitch plate from the bed of the truck to haul other things.* I don't have an easy way to remove it like a cherry picker or hoist.* I thought of this idea, but was wondering if it would cause any damage.* I was going to leave the hitch connected to the hitch pin, pull the four clevis pins from the rails, then raise the landing gear legs until the hitch has cleared the rails, and then slowly move out from under it. The reason for this is most of the time there is no one around to help me lift it off.* Any ideas and/or comments on this?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I do it all the time, leave the hitch hooked to the king pen and unlatch from truck bed, raise the front landing gear and drive out. When reinstalling I do just the reverse and very carefully lower the 5th wheel landing gear and move the truck to the exact spot. It takes a bit of effort to get the truck in the correct spot, but no back-work. Its a matter of patience, if you don't have enough, don't start the process. There are no issues with weight of the hitch hanging on the pen box and the hitch is easily observed by folks (like me) walking by the front of the rig and probably has saved me from bumping into the pen box. Also, one more thing, I keep the hitch locked to the pen box along with a short piece of chain locked between the two parts of the hitch. The results are a secure hitch hanging on the Montana and a flat bed in the truck. I have at times when in a hurry gotten almost to the correct spot to reattach the hitch and then unhook it from the Monty and wiggle it to the exact spot within the bed of the truck then do a typical hookup, still again no back-work.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have read of other people doing this. I can't see why it would cause any problems.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Thanks for the input guys. I guess there is no need to contact Keystone.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lots of people do this. We walk around the large RV campgrounds and see that some owners have detached their hitch bases by doing just what you described. remove the locking pins at the base and raise the fifth pin to remove the WHOLE hitch from the truck bed, then drive the truck away to unhitch. Then level the rig leaving the whole hitch hanging at the pin.

I will however add that I would not do this for a long time since I have no idea if the design of the trailer pin allows that much weight dragging downwards on the pin. The pin is designed for NO weight like that and all weight and stress coming from above or laterally when being towed, but it id made of some pretty hardy metal and the hitch doesn't weigh so much that it should stress the pin, but personally, I still wouldn't chance it for the long term.

Keystone would probably just tell you the same stuff you are hearing here. The advantage to a forum is you get more ideas.

For example, my hitch base and head is in two pieces. There is a VERY large pin keeping the hitch head attached to the base which is then fastened to the truck bed with four other pins at the base. This allows me to remove the hitch in two lighter sections, then place in a dolly I made for it, then I wheel this into my garage for storage. Even in two pieces each piece can weigh a bit (one of these days I'll have to check) and this method still requires me to lift or lower each piece to the height of the truck bed. I also don't like the bed rails left behind but I'm too cheap to buy the proper hitch that allows me to do that. I'll also add, that my age is also a determining factor. I'm sure I'll get to an age where I can no longer handle even that weight too. But I've got truck bed ramps and I have the driveway room to use them to wheel the dolly/hitch right up to the bed rails. However, I may have to start looking for a winch or pully system to wheel it up there if I no longer have the strength to ramp it up there.

If I were RVing near you, I would certainly be glad to help you as well. I've done that for others and not just for this but you just gotta ask. I find other RVers are the most friendly, considerate and helpful people in our country. In fact, I showed one similar aged person that their hitch came apart in two pieces since they didn't know it could (he'd been carrying off the whole thing in one big heavy piece up until now - now that I could NEVER do). I'll remind you that each piece can still be too heavy and wieldy for some.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have lifted mine out many times all together and in two pieces too. Its way to heavy now though. have found it works best for me now if i just pull the pins and lift the hitch and move it forward and put the rear hitch pins in the front rails, then lock it in place. Gives me plenty of room this way.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Thank you all. I thought it would be ok. But, ya never know.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We've a two piece hitch, but I often leave it on the Monty when we want to use the truck bed (got a Softopper cap) while camping. I don't try getting it perfectly lined up when putting it back on, just get it on the bed, release it & drive forward. It's not hard dragging it about to get it in the rail slots and certainly is a lot quicker than getting it just right. I've seen several hitches attached to 5ers in storage for extended periods, so I don't think the ~100 lbs weight is all that big a deal. I don't like the idea of that much weather on it though and either take it off & put it in a shed or put up the Softopper for long periods of time.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I agree that it is not a problem to leave hitch attached to pin.
What I did is mount a 12 volt ATV winch from header in garage. Bought at Harbor Freight Tools. This works remarkably well. I lower it onto a small furniture dolly from Harbor Freight, and stow in garage.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote