Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Will we ever make it to Goshen?

Second adventure in two days and now we're stuck in Lincoln, IL. As I turned into a Love's to get gas today I lost the power steering altogether. Found out where the nearest Dodge dealer was (luckily only 16 miles away). Started up and steering worked. When I stepped on the brakes to turn on the interstate lost the steering again. That caused me to figure out that the problem only happened when I hit the brakes at low speed. The Dodge dealer had seen this once before so they knew the problem was a little piece of plastic tubing but they didn't have it so we're camping out in Lincoln till the part comes in. Our appointment with MorRyde isn't until Monday morning. Good thing we started really early! Turns out that the brakes and the power steering share the same fluid and the little tube fixes a minor vibration problem they were having with the set up. Problem is under certain circumstances braking can somehow kink the tube and that cuts out the power to the steering. Todays learning is that you don't want to turn a big truck around a tight corner with a Monty pushing and no power steering.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Not good...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That's a Yeeee Haaaw moment. Had one of them when I lost all brakes on my old Bounder.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Those things can certainly catch up with us sometimes.
I do hope you get everything taken care of in a speedy fashion.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The dealer has been great so far. Let us drop the rig on their lot and jumped the truck to the front of the line. Didn't have the part, but did get it so we could use it while we wait on the part. Lucky Passport America had a small camp ground here so we got a place to stay. Also learned something there I didn't know before. Site 9 is a "pull thru site" and has a sign labeling it as such. East end is the gravel drive, west end is a corn field and north and south have storage buildings. Apparently a pull thru site includes those that you pull thru by backing up.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dick,

I just had the same thing happen last month to my 2011 Ram 3500HD for the 2nd time. Dealer claims Ram is aware of the problem and is trying to find a long term solution to resolve the issue. Be care as odds are it will happen again until Ram has a solution. I also have horrible wandering going on...let go of the steering wheel and the truck looks like I'm driving under the influence.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Dick,
Sorry to hear about your TV problem. We hope you can get it fixed so you can make it safely to MoRryde.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We'll it's fixed again. The dealer said they fixed another last year and it's local and still good so here's hoping. Based on what happened Dodge better get a fix before someone gets killed. If Joyce had been driving it wouldn't have been good and not her fault. We're leaving in the morning for Elkhart Campground for the weekend so hopefully we'll be near there tomorrow night.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just be thankful they were familiar with the problem. Nothing worse than hearing "never heard of that before".
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, that was my big fear.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Gosh Dick you are such a whiner...what is this about needing steering?! You either get braking or steering! You can't have your cake and eat it too! Geez...some men want it all!

All kidding aside I am so glad that you were able to handle the issue and get to a dealership safely! Glad to hear that they had a clue and were able to get you back on the road in a speedy amount of time! Hope the rest of your travels are uneventful and that you make it to your Mor-ryde appointment in time. Safe travels!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
One time while racing my oval track modified while sitting on the front stretch waiting for a clean up of a crash at the beginning of the feature event a track worker came up to me and said Hey, you have a leak as fluid was dropping on the track. He looked a little further and said you have a line broke from you power steering. I said ok, let it drain as there wouldn't be that much on the track and they put oil dry down to soak it up. By the restart of the race it stopped leaking, fluid gone. Steering was tough to say the least, and I figured I would last a few laps and have to pull it of the track. But to my surprise, I actually won that race 30 laps later, and trust me I was one whipped puppy!!! But very happy one. Would never want to experience that again.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
That is a great story! I used to drive an old International truck, towing a boat that did not have power steering, & had a hydraulic clutch system (double clutching required for all shifting)! What a beast that was! It was an old manure truck that my dad bought off some guy for $500 and it towed a brand spanking new beautiful ski-boat! It would tow ANYTHING! It just looked awful! The entire bed was rusted out. I can't imagine racing without power steering though! Too many turns!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We'll we're up on jacks at MorRyde and their installing IS and disk brakes. They really do a great job, especially matching the height and attitude of the Monty to the truck so it will tow at the best possible attitude. They even pointed out an issue with the pin box that they are correcting to take some stress off my hitch.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Dick,
You will love it. Jim had it done last year after the rally and boy it sure does make a difference with things moving around in the Monty. The disk brakes are great! Really notice the improved braking when we stop on wet surfaces or when someone is stupid enough to cut in front of us!!!

Enjoy it,
Marge

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

We'll we're up on jacks at MorRyde and their installing IS and disk brakes. They really do a great job, especially matching the height and attitude of the Monty to the truck so it will tow at the best possible attitude. They even pointed out an issue with the pin box that they are correcting to take some stress off my hitch.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Isn't that a strange site to see your rig sitting up on those big blocks with no axles underneath? Isn't it rather strange now sitting in the rig up on those blocks while in their shop with everyone gone? If you're lucky you'll be out tomorrow, we were there for 2 1/2 days.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes it is strange and hard to remember that last step is a long one. We may be out today, but if there is clearance once everything is back together they will put on a fire escape ladder and then we would get the extra 1/2. It's going to be real close and I told them I don't want it put on unless they would feel comfortable with it on their rig so we just have to wait till the Monty can join with Brutus again and see where we are. They also adjusted my hitch (lowered) and pin box (lowered) so the clearance thing is figured in everyone's head, but not in reality.