Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
TST TPMS power connector

Anyone using the TST system have an issue with the connection (jack) on the unit itself? I used the cigarette lighter adapter when I first got the system. A couple weeks ago I finally broke down and popped the dash apart to install the hard wired jack. I ran the wire up along side the radio and thought I would be ok exiting the wire where the dash pops together. Well I noticed the unit "resetting", momentary loss of power then researching for the sensors. Took it apart yesterday and the wire did have marks where the dash pinched it. I peeled the sheath back where they had been pinched and after investigation noticed it was not where the wires pinched that was the problem. The jack appears to have slight movement which breaks the connection. I can't say whether it is the female part (in the unit itself) or the male part on the wire that is the issue. The jack on the cigarette lighter adapter seems to work without as much play in the connection. I have contacted TST but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Didn't have that problem but mine became intermittent, I called TST and the first this they asked was whether it was hard wired and if so was it powered all the time or just when the ignition was on? Turns out it should not be powered all the time(mine was) because it overcharges and ruins the battery. They replace it and I rewired it to a switched circuit.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I have not had that problem with mine. But i only use it a couple of times a year. There is a two year warranty on these. I have the model 510.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Thanks so much for the feedback. I drove the truck 150 miles today with it plugged in with the cigarette adapter again. Stayed on the entire time. I think there is something with the male connector on the hard wire adapter. I'd leave this adapter plugged in but don't like the wire running down the dash. I have the unit in the tray on the top of the dash. I can see it nicely there.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I suggest you contact TST and get a replacement. I bet the will send you one after you tell them your trouble.
They have supported me very well.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
These units have wonderful rechargeable lithium batteries. I charge mine overnight a couple of days before i leave, and never have to plug it in again for the trip. But i do cut it off when not on use.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I wired mine to the #3 upfitter switch and only flip the switch on when the battery gets low. Have it for about 9 months now with no problems.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
TST as we suspected will replace the wire. I clocked several hundred miles over the weekend with the cigarette lighter adapter and it didn't cut out one time. Must be the jack on the hardwire and not the unit itself.